Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2.0D Water Pump

Andy Kerry

Hi all

Had my car booked in today for a noise I found on my Auris. 2 weeks ago I was on the M6 j10 doing 60mph in 5th gear (amazing I know still shocked to this day!) when I put my foot down I heard a noise from the engine bay. After a bit more driving I worked it sounded like a fan belt slipping noise. The noise was only coming under load ( high gear low rev and before the turbo kicked in. So between 1500-2000 rpm.) I booked the car the into my local Toyota dealer in Birmingham where I brought the car 9 months ago. After a road test with technician he agreed with me that it sounded like a fan belt. After further inspection they found out that the belt was faulty (was never told how) and the water pump was leaking and faulty. They said that it would cost £600 to fix. Now my car is an 08 plate and has done 22000 miles and never really drove hard only used around birmingham with irregular trip to Worcestershire to my folks. After a short chat asked them if this is an acceptiable fault with this car. After this the dealer told me that Toyota would be happy to fix it all for free. Very kind of them.

Has anyone had an issue with water pumps? Bit of an worry of what else could be wrong!

I will keep you up to date as it goes on.

Sorry to ramble on but detail is important to me.

Well my car is now 5 years old and has about 50k miles. SO far no big bills- just normal servicing.

As Toyota has fixed it for free I would be well pleased- it is four years old.

My 11' Avensis squeaks like mad when its labouring, its been going on for the last 20,000 miles. So if there is a 3yr difference between the cars i really do wonder if a new belt would make any difference? Especially as both cars have the same engine.

As for the water pump every time our old Corolla and Verso went to Mr T they told us without even looking the pump was leaking....the word then changed to weeping when challenged. In both cases i just kept an eye on the level and it was topped up when serviced.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a water pump problem.... they replaced this for free too. seems like a common problem

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a water pump problem.... they replaced this for free too. seems like a common problem

In or out of warranty?

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I second cabcurtains response. AT the 40k service, (3years , 3 months old) two years ago, Mr T's local main agent, stated the water pump on my Auris 2.0 D4D was leaking and needed immediate replacement at a cost of £750. Toyota Customer Services refused to assist with the cost of the repair, so I said I'd leave it for the moment. Took it to my local Toyota independent who looked at it and said it was slightly weeping but that it should be OK until the next service, but just to keep an eye on it.

Well to get to the point, the car has now been through two further services at the independent garage and after 20k miles the pump is still OK, wept so little between services that it never needed topping up, and in fact has, since 60k service stopped weeping altogether.

So, all I would suggest is forget your main agent, and try and use a good independent garage, if for nothing nothing else than to save a bit of money.

My Yaris was recently given its 4th service (1.3 VVT-i) and they told me there was a slight leak from . . the water pump! I'm dropping it off tomorrow afternoon for it to have this repaired on Thursday morning (I work early Thursday morning). I've had to wait almost two weeks; tried to bring it forward but no can do as I'm requiring a courtesy car. They then told me it's only a 'weep'. I took out the extended warranty last year. Fortunately it hasn't been using up any coolant but as I can't find signs of a leak, I can't tell myself how bad it really is.

What the heck is up with Toyota water pumps?!?! My nana's old R reg Starlet has never had any bother with leaks . .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links