Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Sat Nav Query

AlfK

Hi,

Have just taken delivery of a new Yaris TR with built in touch & go sat nav and was wondering what the position is with POI and map updates. I have sat nav on my HTC smartphone and get regular POI updates and the very occasional offer of a map update.

What make is the sat nav?

Someone said it was Tomtom, is this true?

Do I have any period of free updates - such as POIs & maps?

I have downloaded and registered/installed my system on the Toyota portal but the PC portal toolkit software says I have no updates for the Satnav

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

AlfK

My wife bought a Yaris TR in September 2011. I set the wretched thing up to the best of my ability which is not very great! I set it to give an alert on speed limits to find that on several stretches of road the speed limit information was outdated. 40 mph limit reduced to 30 mph etc. I tried to update on the internet without success only encountering updates for other models usually with hefty charges. I asked at the dealer and was told that the satnav systems are usually 12 months out of date when the car is new and they did not think there were would be any updates until the car was 12 months old. Whether or not this woud be chargeable or not they did not know. Fortunately the satnav was free when my wife bought the car otherwise I would not have been very pleased paying for outdated information. I think all these systems are far too sophisticated for their own good and are much to fickle and fiddley to use, but then I am too old to be bothered with modern electronic gadgetry very much, my limit is to make a call on a mobile phone!

Hope the information is of help to you.

Regards Geoff Peace

Thanks Geoff for your input, doesn't sound too promising does it if yours was 2011 and dealer said you may have to wait 12 months (probably then out of satnav warranty?) for a possible update. Mine was also 'thrown into the deal'.

I shall pose the same question to my dealer and see what response I get - better have my smartphone and copilot as backup for any journies :o)

What make is the sat nav? Someone said it was Tomtom, is this true? Do I have any period of free updates - such as POIs & maps?

I did find out who made it when i was looking at the options before i bought my T-Spirit and it was not TT but for the life of me i cannot remember, will try and have another look on the inter web. As for updates, not sure if over the air happen but when i used to drive on the M25 (J21a) when they were doing road works it used to display the road works sign, now it does not?

I have never really truly tested it with a jam and got it to re-route me so i cannot vouch for how good it is. I used to have a traffic master system in my previous car and i hold that up as the gold standard, i cannot see this sat nav matching it.

Ian