Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should We Worry ?

Tynesider

Friday 25 May.

Wife on M1 outside lane driving our 2009 Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 diesel TR in a slow moving traffic jam, hot sunny afternoon on a 240 mile return trip home, then engine stops, after three none starts it starts again (she only 'thinks' she may have stalled it ,but not sure.

Then after driving ok for another 20 miles the VSC (vehicle Tracking Control) and TRC (vehicle traction control ) 'lights come on ' in the display panel which stays on for the next 75 miles drive back home.

I tried the car on a short trip (4 miles) when she came home and everything works ok and none of the above lights on.

Do we need to worry, or has it reset itself.

Thanks

Mike

could be the EGR valve. After a certain number of engine starts the fault code clears from the dash. May still be stored in the system. Worth getting the code read to see what it says.

Could also be the Battery. I've found out the hard way that a failing Battery but not one that doesn't start the car, will give lots of ECU errors :(

Could also be the battery. I've found out the hard way that a failing battery but not one that doesn't start the car, will give lots of ECU errors :(

Hi Dave

Funny you said that as 4 days before she left we did have a flat Battery due to an internal light being left on for a few days, we were going to replace the Battery (car now three years old next month) but we got it checked out and local garage said it was ok.

Puzzle is the wife has drove the car 250miles south and was nearlry 180 mile back on the return journey when the above problems started plus the car has ran ok up to now.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just because it's working now doesn't mean the Battery isn't on it's way out. My first Toyota Battery lasted nine years, then died in a big way. The replacement lasted 2 years and 4 months....you get rogue batteries. The plates may have straightened up but may fail any time.

I'd get the Battery checked again...but then it may pass but fail within an hour.

Cheers,

Dave

Problems very rarely just go away. Definitely worth getting the code read for your own peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links