Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Rattles And Poor Service From Dealer

ziauris

I bought an "approved used" Auris 07 plate 1.6 5 door with 42000 miles on the clock 4 days ago from Toyota in West Yorkshire. At the time it was due it's 50k service and dealer said it would be done and valeted. It also came with 1 year approved warranty.

I got it a few days ago and when I got home, I checked the coolant fluid levels and the washer fluid levels. Both look low to me. I checked the oil and that looks like it has been changed as it is a yellow colour. Don't know where the oil filter is so didn't check that. It also looks like it wasn't valeted, the glovebox has bits of rubbish and dust in it!

When I did the test drive it seemed ok, but that was on normal flat roads. Now that I have got it home, I have noticed a rattle in the dashboard, it sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo and a rattle in the driver side pillar. The rattle is usually when driving over rough surfaces and sometimes at high speeds.

Does anyone know if I can take it back and get them to top up the fluid levels and fix the rattles or are they going to tell me it's a used car and therefore will rattle so 'what do you expect for £5000'?

Thanks

Welcome to rattle club :-)

More damage can be done if dissasembling all the dashboard and plastic trying to fix than to live with it.

It's a common issue with Auris.

Every car maker has its own rattle club, a quick Google search and you'll find that rattles and squeaks drive volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, audi drivers crazy...

To me £5000 is a lot of money, its not as if you bought a £100 old banger. Yes they should top up the fluids and check out the source of the rattles. Take it back. Do it as soon as possible.

If your still not happy tell them you want an exchange or your money back. To be fair they were probably unaware of the rattles but the lack of a proper PDi is not acceptable.

I bought an "approved used" Auris 07 plate 1.6 5 door with 42000 miles on the clock 4 days ago from Toyota in West Yorkshire. At the time it was due it's 50k service and dealer said it would be done and valeted. It also came with 1 year approved warranty.

I got it a few days ago and when I got home, I checked the coolant fluid levels and the washer fluid levels. Both look low to me. I checked the oil and that looks like it has been changed as it is a yellow colour. Don't know where the oil filter is so didn't check that. It also looks like it wasn't valeted, the glovebox has bits of rubbish and dust in it!

When I did the test drive it seemed ok, but that was on normal flat roads. Now that I have got it home, I have noticed a rattle in the dashboard, it sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo and a rattle in the driver side pillar. The rattle is usually when driving over rough surfaces and sometimes at high speeds.

Does anyone know if I can take it back and get them to top up the fluid levels and fix the rattles or are they going to tell me it's a used car and therefore will rattle so 'what do you expect for £5000'?

Thanks

You say they were going to do a 50000 service. even if the service book is stamped it does not mean a service has actualy been carried out.

Very easy for sales dept to stamp the book.

Have you got the service sheets showing what was done on the ( phantom) service.

Take the car back to them and ask the salesman if they did indeed do this service, no doubt he will say yes and refer you to the stamped service book.

you then ask for the workshop service sheets and watch his face drop,as he cant produce them and the workshop is not going to give the sales dept a dodgy service sheet. the salesman is going to give you the excuse they have been mislaid. you insist you need these sheets for your records and demand they give you genuine workshop service sheets.

the sales dept have to pay the workshop for any work carried out for them.so paying for a service reduces any profit on a car sale. it goes on all the time.

as to the oil being a yellow colour,well as its a petrol engine and not a diesel it will retain this colour for a long time if its had reguler oil changes.

the oil fiter is under the rear of the engine. if its been recently changed the cannister should be nice and shiny.

Aa far as levels being checked these should have been carried out as part of a Toyota approved car inspection never mind a service.

The car had 'just come in' when i bought it. they have given me the 50k service checklist so that looks ok. it looks like it was driven 5 miles between the service and the MoT being done - both look like they were done on the same day.

Engineer sat with me, confirmed the rattles which are in 3 locations. They told me that the rattles are not covererd under the warranty and I would have to pay for them. I was wondering what is the chance of me getting my money back and what process would I need to pursue for this? I have only had it 9 days now and driven it approx 300 miles. I informed them of the rattles within 5 days of having the car.

Thanks

The car had 'just come in' when i bought it so they probably did not check it that thoroughly I suspect. they have given me the 50k service checklist so that looks ok. it looks like it was driven 5 miles between the service and the MoT being done - both look like they were done on the same day.

Engineer sat with me, confirmed the rattles which are in 3 locations. They told me that the rattles are not covererd under the warranty and I would have to pay for them. I was wondering what is the chance of me getting my money back and what process would I need to pursue for this? I have only had it 9 days now and driven it approx 300 miles. I informed them of the rattles within 5 days of having the car.

Thanks

If its from a main dealer surely the Toyota 30 day no quibble exchange plan kicks in. You will not get your money back but hopefully another, rattle free car. Details are on the Toyota web site.

Why rattles are not covered under warranty is another issue. I thought they were.

If its from a main dealer surely the Toyota 30 day no quibble exchange plan kicks in. You will not get your money back but hopefully another, rattle free car. Details are on the Toyota web site.

Why rattles are not covered under warranty is another issue. I thought they were.

I would have thought that rattles noises would have been covered.

I would ask where it is stated specifically rattle are NOT covered.

Failimg that, contact Toyota customer services and complain that it is a Toyota approved car. Are noises approved by Toyota.

Whilst in contact with them mention the quality of the chrecks and servicing that the cars various levels had not been topped up before handing the car over.

Tell your dealer you are going to do this.

I would ask wh

I would ask where it is stated specifically rattle are NOT covered.

Failimg that, contact Toyota customer services and complain that it is a Toyota approved car. Are noises approved by Toyota.

Whilst in contact with them mention the quality of the chrecks and servicing that the cars various levels had not been topped up before handing the car over.

ere it is stated specifically rattle are NOT covered.

This is a case where the sales dept dont want to pay the workshop for rectification.

The warranty is a mirror of the original warranty and everything is covered...if your car was new and had a rattle it would be sorted...take it to another approved dealer and ask them what they think...my local Toyota is a good friend and they would not quibble with this...I noticed a flaw in the paint on one of my past cars and they listened, investigated and paid for a £1.4 k repair to the car under the warranty. Keep at them and remember Trading Standards is your best friend...tell the garage you intend to pay them a visit

The used car warranty provides a similar level of cover to the new car warranty. the terms and conditions do specifically state that all items of interior trim are not covered.

A rattle on a used car is probably deemed acceptable for a used car however I do feel that your supplying dealer should rectify this for you free of charge since you've just bought the car! See the sales dept to express your dissatisfaction!

Thanks

My Auris rattles too...in fact I'm sure the fuel tank also makes noises when I go over bumps...it's more noticeable when I fill the tank right up.

Thanks

My Auris rattles too...in fact I'm sure the fuel tank also makes noises when I go over bumps...it's more noticeable when I fill the tank right up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links