Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Diesel Engine Replacement

catseye27

Just had my 07 RAV4 serviced, the dealers inform me that i need a replacement engine due to the well documented problems associated with the 2.2D engine.

Should i be looking to change anything else whilst they have the engine out, i.e. clutch?

Car done 36,000 miles.

Bought my RAV4 on impulse. Had just bought a caravan and a short list of SUV's suitable for 2 dogs and a caravan was narrowed down to the CRV or RAV4. Preferred the RAV so done a deal whilst on holiday. When i researched the RAV4 on my hols return was to be quite honest shocked at the reported engine problems. Did contact the dealer with my concerns and was looking to exchange under the Toyota 30 day no quibble exchange warantee but dealer assured me that if my engine should develope the problems Toyota would correct at no cost to me. Glad the dealer has kept to their word.

If i had known about the faults prior to buying would i have still bought the RAV4? A definite Yes but would have gone for the RAV version where the engine faults had been corrected.

I too was disappointed when my RAV4 turned out to have a 'bad engine' but to be honest I was really impressed with Toyota's warranty arrangements and am now jolly pleased to have a brand new engine free of charge. If I were to go and buy a new car now, it would have to be another RAV4.

As my car had done nearly 70k miles, I had the clutch replaced at the time of the engine swap at a cost of around £350 if my memory serves me correctly but I am not sure that would be good value at 36k miles; perhaps it depends also on how long you intend to keep the car.

NM spot on there, Norman....if you intend to keep the car, even although you would expect your 36k clutch to be totally serviceable for a good while yet, it could save you some money to do a "parts only" deal with the engine replacer whilst it's out.

Big Kev

Hi catseye

Did you have an oil problem with your rav ?? I thought they only replaced the engine if it was using oil.

mike

Mike

Mine was using some oil and lots and lots of water. Apparently cooling system was under lots of pressure, engine oil contaminated with water and general carbonisation of engine.

When i bought the RAV 12 months ago was not aware of the 2.2D engine problems. When i became aware of these issues I have kept a record of any oil or water top ups

As i tow a caravan and the only previous owner also towed a caravan have decided now is a good time / investment to have the clutch done as well.

Norman

Hi norman

My mistake, thought you just took it in for a service and they offered to replace engine, didn't know you had 'the issues'.

mike

Changing the clutch costs almost £1000 in most circumstances, but as mentioned we got it done for £350!

I would possibly get it done but if it's only done 36k miles you may not need to change the clutch for another 5 years. I had the same clutch on my old passat for 175k miles.

Picked my Rav up last Thursday after having a new engine fitted due to the coolant blowing back out.

My car had done 45000 miles so I asked about a new clutch and they said they would check it out, they phoned me

2 days later to say they would recommend a new clutch as the plate was scored quite badly.I only paid for the parts £350.

The car is driving like a dream and I will be towing my caravan at the end of June .

Doosan

Changing the clutch costs almost £1000 in most circumstances, but as mentioned we got it done for £350!

I would possibly get it done but if it's only done 36k miles you may not need to change the clutch for another 5 years. I had the same clutch on my old passat for 175k miles.

Best he change it as he pulls a caravan, Alex....Rav has a wee bit more work to do, and at a grand to replace in isolation, paying one turd of that makes sense.

Big Kev.

When were the 2.2 diesel engine problems sorted?

Various production changes and then revisions to the engine internal design end of 2009ish I believe. Anchorman has chapter and verse.

Had my Rav a week and the same thing Toyota were first class and engine was replaced no quibble. Just had EGR valve problem again Toyota came up trumps . ............................ Good luck

Various production changes and then revisions to the engine internal design end of 2009ish I believe. Anchorman has chapter and verse.

Think the engines from approx mid 2008 were "fixed", David, going by a conversation I had with shcm.

Big Kev

Get the clutch changed. Although at £350 it seems high, a dealer price to do a clutch on its own is £1000++

New engine.... so get the clutch done and then enjoy.

My clutches last anything from 2000 miles to about 20,000. Gearboxes the same. Can't imagine any RAV clutch lasting much more than 80,000 miles unless you just use 1st gear. Some caravans can be heavy.