Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Close To Buying An Auris Hsd

T Sport 1978

Hi all,

I have been on these forums for a while now and have previously owned an Auris T180 and a Corolla T Sport, currently I own a Honda Accord petrol but due to changing personal circumstances I am looking to change again only after a relatively short stint in the Honda.

The car i am looking at is an Auris HSD T Spirit with full NAV and it has only 15000 miles on the clock and looks to be mint in condition, it is an approved used via Toyota and I am in very final stages of negotiation.

What i would appreciate is if you guys could quickly give me any heads up on what to look out for, I will be viewing the car this Thursday and taking it home on the same day if viewing goes fine (which i expect it to be). I have been trying to educate myself on the HSD Auris, but could anyone point me to any obvious things to look out for, also any obvious/well known faults?

From what i can gather on these boards, the Auris is better received than the Prius in terms of built quality, am I correct in saying this?

I will be buying the car if nothing is wrong with it from the viewing, it has 3.5 years left of the 5 years warranty so any issues should not be a problem.

Anyway, thank you all in advance and looking forward to some pointers if any.

Nothing really to watch at that mileage and on that model. You have the 5 year warranty for peace of mind. The only thing is ensure 0w20 oil is used (it's EXPENSIVE and a minority of dealers skimp on it) as your mpg's will suffer otherwise. The 12v is the weak spot of the Toyota hybrids so if you're sat in the car listening to the radio etc, then leave the car in Ready mode and all will be well.

Otherwise all is well.

(some of the lower spec latest model Prii have a more unreliable electric steering motor (t3) but the t-spirit is ok. I'm guessing if the same applies on the Auris)

Mine was born in September 2010. The only problem I've had with it, and I understand from my dealer this was a common Auris issue, was the driver's window-seal came loose at the top. They replaced the seal and it's been fine since.

Great car to drive and enjoy!

Mike

Take a look at the boot to make sure it will be big enough.

The HV Battery takes up a little space so the boot isn't as big as a normal Auris.

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated and will bear them in mind.

Grumpie - do you know if it's ok to mix 0w20 with 0w30, both fully synth oils? I have some spare oil from the Accord that is 0w30 and wouldn't want to waste it and keep it for top ups, and I have checked with the dealer that this Auris have had 0w20 so far.

Does the hybrids consume much oil? What are acceptable usage?

Also how much are you guys paying for services?

I've never needed to put any oil in mine.

I took out a service plan with Sims Toyota: 5 services (3 intermediate, 2 major); brake fluid every 2 years; and filters, plugs etc changed regularly (can't remember the frequency). It costs me £13.31 for 60 months. - I won't be changing the car before then and there's no chance I'll need a service more often than once per year.

Mike

Do you mean £13.31 per month for 60 months?

Mine was born in September 2010. The only problem I've had with it, and I understand from my dealer this was a common Auris issue, was the driver's window-seal came loose at the top. They replaced the seal and it's been fine since.

Mike

Ashpole,

I see that you have the full NAV option on yours, could you confirm whether your unit has USB connectivity and also can you just plug in a USB stick into it that contains songs in folders?

Also could you give a quick review of how this unit performs in NAv and for music handling?

Many thanks.

Now that would be a good deal! Yep, per month for five years.

Mike

Ashpole,

I see that you have the full NAV option on yours, could you confirm whether your unit has USB connectivity and also can you just plug in a USB stick into it that contains songs in folders?

Also could you give a quick review of how this unit performs in NAv and for music handling?

Many thanks.

There's no USB socket on the T-Spirit with SatNav - go figure! I discussed at some length the loss of it with Toyota, they finally agreed to fit one FOC, but I'd made my point and declined their offer as I didn't want to risk dash-rattle!

However, my iPhone 4 works just fine over BT for music and phone calls. There's a long standing issue about not being able to transfer contacts from the iPhone to the SatNav but it's never bothered me - I don't have many friends ;)

The SatNav is fine, the maps can be out of date as Toyota are not the fastest animal on the plantet with updates, you can buy an upgrade DVD or work it into your purchase deal. The button layout around the screen is, to me, not intuitive and I'm always hunting for the right button - made worse by a good layout in the RAV I had previously.

Mike

Mike

Ashpole,

Many thanks.

There's no USB socket on the T-Spirit with SatNav - go figure! I discussed at some length the loss of it with Toyota, they finally agreed to fit one FOC, but I'd made my point and declined their offer as I didn't want to risk dash-rattle!

However, my iPhone 4 works just fine over BT for music and phone calls. There's a long standing issue about not being able to transfer contacts from the iPhone to the SatNav but it's never bothered me - I don't have many friends ;)

The SatNav is fine, the maps can be out of date as Toyota are not the fastest animal on the plantet with updates, you can buy an upgrade DVD or work it into your purchase deal. The button layout around the screen is, to me, not intuitive and I'm always hunting for the right button - made worse by a good layout in the RAV I had previously.

Mike

Oh man... I thought there was a USB connection as i thought it was the premium option, it makes no sense to not have it. Thanks for the heads up and as a result i have asked my dealer to check and confirm that, I have asked whether it poss to fit the USB connection as I have always run a USB sticks (about 4gb of songs).

How do you find the quality of sound through this unit?

As for the NAV my Honda at present has maps from 2008 even though its a 59 reg car, so i am kind of used to that :)

There is definitely a way to provide a USB socket because Toyota authorised its installation for me. The sound quality is good, I've never heard the premium Toyota option that's available on the Prius to do a comparison but do enjoy good quality audio - which the Auris HSD has.

Mike

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated and will bear them in mind.

Grumpie - do you know if it's ok to mix 0w20 with 0w30, both fully synth oils? I have some spare oil from the Accord that is 0w30 and wouldn't want to waste it and keep it for top ups, and I have checked with the dealer that this Auris have had 0w20 so far.

I read somewhere on the web that It's not a good Idea to mix different types of fully synthetic oil as the make up of the oil (esters etc.) and its additives may be different and the two oils could chemically spoil each other.

Re: your purchase look carefully for touched up stone chips, especially if it's a white one, some of the ones I looked at while perusing the dealers were very chipped and unless the Dealer has a body shop on site to respray the bonnet, the touching up with a blob of paint doesn't last long.

Well it's official... Proud owner of an Ixion Blue T spirit with full nav :)

On my first drive in my new car, it achieved 62 mpg over 187 miles, this including being stuck on the m25 car park for 1.5 hours crawling. I was amazed by this as obviously I am learning in my new car, it will only get better from here!

One little weird problem though... I was stuck in traffic and I thought I'd put the car in P mode to park it, this is whilst leaving the car running. When it was time to move I tried to come out of P but couldn't, it was embarrassing and I had to put my hazards on to let people pass. After 2 restarts of the car I managed to get out of it, I am pretty sure that I had done the right steps (I.e brakes on and shift to D). Did I do something wrong or has anyone else had this?

First impression is WOW... Didn't think it had so much GO when you want it, yes the engine whine is a little high when you do step on it, but the economy side of it is just amazing.

Very impressed so far :)

One little weird problem though... I was stuck in traffic and I thought I'd put the car in P mode to park it, this is whilst leaving the car running. When it was time to move I tried to come out of P but couldn't, it was embarrassing and I had to put my hazards on to let people pass. After 2 restarts of the car I managed to get out of it, I am pretty sure that I had done the right steps (I.e brakes on and shift to D). Did I do something wrong or has anyone else had this?

The chances are you didn't press the brake pedel to enable you to shift into drive. Sometimes I find I try and do it too fast or don't press the brake just that little extra for it to register and the car just beeps at me.

Did you press the brake pedel too hard that a yellow traction control light flashed? If you did, then you selected hill start mode and the car will hold the brakes on until you press the accelerator.

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage but get it checked out if it keeps doing it. There were some reports on the gen3 Prius of the brake switch being out of adjustment, but this is a simple fix - if that's the issue.

Your 62 mpg isn't bad for a first attempt. Double check your tyre pressures when you can and then enjoy the mpg's you'll now get. If you do a steady 50 mph on those contruction zones on the motorway, on the flat, then you will get averages way over 70/75 mpg. Not bad for a petrol automatic car eh.

Well it's official... Proud owner of an Ixion Blue T spirit with full nav :)

On my first drive in my new car, it achieved 62 mpg over 187 miles, this including being stuck on the m25 car park for 1.5 hours crawling. I was amazed by this as obviously I am learning in my new car, it will only get better from here!

First impression is WOW... Didn't think it had so much GO when you want it, yes the engine whine is a little high when you do step on it, but the economy side of it is just amazing.

Very impressed so far :)

Well done, enjoy! As GC says, don't panic! I wonder if you're used to driving an automatic? It'll become second nature to apply the brake when starting and selecting drive/reverse.

I keep my tyres at 36 PSI (cold), it does make a difference.

Any questions then ask away, that's what we're here for.

Mike

The first time my other half took the prius out she had exactly the same problem. Put car in P at some traffic lights, then was unable to get out of P back to D. Had to turn the ignition off, then back on to clear it. It hasn't happened since.

Well done, enjoy! As GC says, don't panic! I wonder if you're used to driving an automatic? It'll become second nature to apply the brake when starting and selecting drive/reverse.

TBH if you are used to an automatic, you wouldn't be putting the car into Park at traffic lights. :lol:

TBH if you are used to an automatic, you wouldn't be putting the car into Park at traffic lights. :lol:

I don't. :giljotiini:

Er, please don't take things so personally, I meant a general "you", not a personal "you".

I am also aware that the subject of how people wait at traffic lights does, erm, has caused some debate in the past!

Er, please don't take things so personally, I meant a general "you", not a personal "you".

I am also aware that the subject of how people wait at traffic lights does, erm, has caused some debate in the past!

LOL! I thought that was quite good, Jubilee weekend and the flotilla ending at the Tower of London!

Enjoy!

Well I've been driving around all day and using the P and it hasn't re-occured, I think I must have NOT used my foot brakes to change to D and panicked. :ermm:

I spent a bit of time changing all the light bulbs (except indicators and main/dipped beams) to LED bulbs, and I must say looks so good in the Ixion blue. Not sure if anyone have had the original Auris, but this Auris HSD is a pain in the back side to get to the front side lights. I literally had to nearly undo the whole of the top half of the front of the car to reach them! As for the rest of the bulbs its an improvement over the original, the dipped beam for example was a doddle unlike the original.

I am very happy with the purchase so far, keeping my fingers crossed that i stay happy for a long while, I need this car to be a keeper.

Grumpie & Ashpole - I have since pumped my car tyres to 38psi front and 37 at the back, I tend to over inflate my tyres to prevent weird camber wears. Also I am quite au fait with automatics as well, as before i had money to buy a car I only drove my step dad's car, which are always automatics! I will miss manual gears for dynamic driving (for things like toe heel change downs), but I will not miss it 99% of the time when i am stuck in the M25 car park!

Best of luck with the new car T Sport 1978

Red diesel

First tank brim to brim, it achieved 58.24mpg overall, not bad :thumbsup:.

Getting used to the car now and I can safely say that I am loving it.

I have to say that I lost faith with Toyota at the time when i changed my T180 to the Honda, but now that faith is somewhat restored.

The quality and ride of this car is just so much better than the T180, the economy and high spec just completes an excellent car for me.

I hope I stay this happy for a long time ;)