Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

Just a bit of information I think all iq1 and iq2 owners should know about before their warranty runs out.

I have had my IQ2 for 2 1/2 years now and covered just over 32,000 miles.

My car went in for its 30,000 mile service last month and I complained about a lack of power, missfireing and spluttering that been getting worse over the last few months.

Straight away the guy at the service desk went around the back and came back with pieces of paper with diagrams of 2 types of EGR Valves, he said that it was a fault with the EGR Valve and that they would book it in to have a new modified EGR Valve fitted, which they did.

After I picked the car up it felt like brand new if not better, loads of touque and power, it runs like a dream now and the MPG has increased.

The warranty bill for the repairs to be billed to Toyota came to £998 Plus Labour and VAT.

They didnt just have to fit a new EGR Valve and all the pipes and gaskets but they also had to fit a new Catalitic Converter plus pipes and gaskets plus any other pipes that got clogged up.

I'm conserned that for those of you that do not travel the miles that I do may have this problem once or after their warranty has ran out.

Toyota are NOT making a recall for this/these faults.

I recomend that you take your car into Toyota and make the same complaint that I did or you could end up paying out for these repairs at a later date.

Hi Heathie

i did cover it a short while back. i went to my dealer and knowing of the problem, much like you i said i wanted it changed out and the guy went away and came back with the information and showed it to me then got the ok from Toyota and changed it .I always think it crafty how company's know they have a problem with a component by the amount they change but don't do a recall. There was a person on here who's car would loose power half way across a round-a-bout and was dangerous mine would at times crawl away then pick up. To me thats a safety issue, As i said last time it is only on the earlier 1.0 models and i would check yours and insist they change it and if needed threaten them with safety issues.

David

Mine became so dangerous, I was entering the m60 at 30 to 40mph. it used to almost cut out and stall at round abouts it realy was dangerous to drive, the mpg had got alot worse too.

i used to always have trouble pulling away from a standing start. and used to avoid some round-a-bouts that i knew because it was very dangerous my guess is that it can be done out of warranty due to its nature and i suggest everyone in the 1.0 group check their's. check back some pages there are pictures of the different types.

David

This is interesting - thank you Gary for this useful information.

I have a 2009 1.0 and we have noticed the car hesitating now and again. It doesn't do it all the time but we now might put it into Mr T and see to regards to this common fault.

Our warranty runs out in August this year. We originally had it in for knocking on the left suspension, but they came back and said it was all tight and fine - which I don't believe as it's like a balljoint/track rod end. We have since lowered it 25mm and when another garage had the suspension off, everything was tight which makes me very confused - anyone else had a recall of this?

This is really an important thread and should be "pinned" if possible. The thought of someone having to pay £1000 because of just being out of warranty when the power begins to drop off is a nightmare, not to mention the obvious safety issues.

Aaron, I have studied this forum regularly for the three years since the IQ was released and as far as I know suspension knocking has not been a common problem at all. There may have been one mention of a similar problem but I don't think it was solved.

Could it be something hanging loose, or the internals of a damper rattling?

How long until your first MOT?

Maybe an independant garage might find something wrong and then you can take it back to Mr T to fix it!

Our '59 1.0 iQ2 also suffers knocking from left suspension. Went in a couple of months ago under warranty. They could find nothing wrong, but replaced a bush anyway. Made no difference, still knocks over slightly rough surfaces. As you say, sounds like trackrod end or shocker bush. Our warranty also expires August. I'll get them to look more closely at next service/MOT.

Not sure where to go with the EGR valve. Ours runs OK at the moment, but would be very annoyed if things went wrong later and we got charged best end of £1000.

Dave

Johnan - its been mot'd a month ago and serviced. Everything get checked and all was fine. The problem with this knocking is common of what I've heard and want this seen to as Im very anal.

Definitely make this a sticky as Im going to book it in regardless as £1000 is ridiculous for anyone to pay as mentioned.

Might be worth checking if you have the earlier type of EGR valve before booking any work with the dealer. It may have already been changed and going in complaining of intermittent low power could lead to them doing lots of unnecessary diagnostic work. ;)

Craig.

This is true. How would I know if its been replaced? What's the difference between both?

Johnan - its been mot'd a month ago and serviced. Everything get checked and all was fine. The problem with this knocking is common of what I've heard and want this seen to as Im very anal.

Quite right Aaron, I am the same and a bit over sensitive when it comes to car noises.

It is just as well to pursue them though, until a solution is found, if possible.

I knew I had read about a left hand side suspension knock on this forum some time ago and I enclose the link, but it is not your problem unfortunately as you have had your suspension rebuilt recently and the knock was there before and after.

Any loose nuts would have been spotted during the change.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106852&hl=%2Bleft+%2Bfront+%2Bnoise&fromsearch=1

That is the only reference to the problem that I can recall on this forum.

Keep us informed if you get to the bottom of it as others may benefit from your experience.

On the EGR valve issue, if you read this thread there is some interesting info and some pictures of the old and new valves.(on pages 2 and 3)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128369&st=15

J

Thanks for the links, I'll have a read of them. EGR valve is the main thing as mentioned so will take a read and see what I think. Maybe conduct a few tests on the IQ this evening on the way to work and see if my car is a fault

Prsonally if had an old one i would get it changed, which i did. Even if you have not got symptoms. You just dont know if your going to get any in the future.or sudden loss of power at a crytical moment. MR T didnt change the type for nothing.

David

Just checked there David and can confirm I have the old style EGR valve pipework that doesn't have the 'ripples'. Getting on the phone to Mr T as we speak.

Thanks folks :)

Well just off the phone - not to impressed with the attitude of the person but there you go.

He claimed there isn't a EGR valve on petrol models - could someone confirm this?

He also said if they road test it with me present and there isn't a problem there's nothing they can do! Even though this is a common problem. So if this happens what will I do?

He wanted the car all day, basically a technician could go out at different times and rag my car - don't think so Mr T!!! So said I want to be present and booked a appointment for a road test.

Appreciate the advice :)

There is an EGR valve on petrol models, Suggest they go away and look into it then get back to you when they realise there is a problem and a recognised repair from Toyota!

Was this a main Toyota dealer?

Craig.

I think there is a phone number for Toyota UK which you can call if you don't get what you want from your dealer and they then contact the dealer to put them straight. Maybe someone can confirm this though as I've never needed it but sure I heard it somewhere.

Craig.

If someone can confirm this and telephone number that would be great?

Thanks Craig, yup I was 99.9% sure there was but hey ho... thought I'd double check. Yes it was Western Toyota in Dunfermline, Fife. Just to name and shame them. They said there was no recall what so ever on EGR valves, just the brake recall and steering. Which is correct. I'm sure hes taking me for a ride but he certainly won't be on Tuesday at 10,30am as its booked in then.

If they say they can't find a problem and are hopeless what will I say to put them in there place?

Thanks

I have heard SDM , a Toyota dealer in Falkirk, are not too bad but have no personal experience of them.

Or the one in Perth George mentioned could be tried.

Perhaps give them a ring, they may know of the EGR valve issue and admit it exists.

The Western lot are particularly poor. Glib, obstructive and useless.

J

So it seems. They are useless.

Got the Toyota UK number so hopefully they can gti them told? Unbelieveable!!

They were telling the truth, there is no 're-call' on the EGR problem,

but Toyota are obviously recognising a problem and authorising the work (labour) and parts to have

the remedial warranty work done where a problem occurs and is reported.

If it is a safety problem which i suggest an engine loosing power would be, you would think that Toyota and their representatives in the form of the Toyota Dealerships had better take the matter more seriously.

You would think they would learn from all their other Publicity Disasters that have occurred with their bad choice of suppliers and parts on various cars.

No doubt it will all come out in the wash again as it hits the Motoring Press or wider Media.

Lets hope it does not take a fatality before they take their Corporate Responsibility.

Very relaxed Company & Dealerships it seems when it comes to Safety Matters.

Maybe some of the Senior Executives & Shareholders getting a Jail Sentence will change their Corporate behavour.

george

I will go to my dealer where mine was done and get the bulliten number for you. I have seen it as he showed me and it lists all the problems people have been experiencing and why it has been upgraded. And yes mine is a 1.0 multidrive Nov09 reg. As far as i know all that is required that the dealer looks up the bulliten and reconises the work is to be done then gets the ok from Main Toyota and they book you in. The thing to remember is play on the safety aspect as the bulliten lists the problems and are potentially dangerous. Just shows you about different dealers. I simply went in stated that people on the iQ forum were experiencing the problem and that there was a bulliten about it and that was that No road check just took my word for it and the bulliten backed it up

David

David

Thanks George. Your completely right there. Im going to phone a different Mr T and see if they bother on there safety of there customers. The guy sounded like he knew nothing on the phone which annoyed me the most. I'll phone tomorrow and keep you guys updated as this needs to be addressed to all other IQ owners

Good info David. In a way I'm glad this has come up (again) as I missed it first time around for some reason. Having the bulletin number will help immensely. I don't think anyone with a brain in their head would want to pay out of their own pocket for something like this.

It may be a little painful going to Mr. T., with the chance they'll roar at you like Shrek with Donkey (WTF?)... but like going to the dentist -no, not you Peter- it may be uncomfortable for a while, but far better than a mega tooth ache. I think we need to be more pro-active with stuff like this, to not let Mr. T. get away with not putting out a recall for all affected vehicles. Yeah, it's going to cost them, but what about the future value of our cars (and of course the name of Toyota) if this failure starts coming up on the second hand market. Quicker than an MP can get a claim for something in, the reputation of the iQ will be well and truly ********$$$$$&&&&££££"""!!! there ya go Ed!