Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

Very true Bob. Im not letting them get away with anything. If needs be, I'll drive there and create uproar about it. If it comes to that! Its dangerous if you pull out a junction then car bogs down and BOOM!! Appreciate the advice guys. Definitely keep everyone updated as its not right ignoring this issue that should of been sorted out at the production line

David - that would be a massive help if you can get the bulletin number. Appreciated :)

That way I can go and question them with that

Well if after the bulliten numbet you get nowhere you could take the car to your selected dealer and say " here are the keys toy vehicle. It has a known potential hazard which you are not dealing with. I am about to inform the local and national press , may i have the name of the Managing Director of this dealership as i am sure the press will be interested even if your not". As George has stated it is not a recall but it does make you wonder how problems get the status of a recall. Or escalated to recall. When thete is potential danger.my guess is 1 how will it cost? And can we kerp quiet about it? Why has this not been made a recall?

David

Your bang on David. That's my intention if nothing gets done on the code/bulletin number. I'm pretty sure they'll listen if I came out with what you suggest. Im disgusted still on the way I've been talked to via Mr T's 'service department'. On telling me firstly no petrol models have EGRV is something, but to rabble on and tell me if there's no proof in the pudding there's nothing they can do...makes me sick.

Great advice though with everyone. I was going to mention to Mr T about the computer mpg but best to save that till next month maybe!!

David - that would be a massive help if you can get the bulletin number. Appreciated :)

That way I can go and question them with that

:thumbsup: that would be great from me to

I sent a email to Toyota some months ago and got this reply

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent email regarding your Toyota iQ.

I note that you are concerned that your vehicle sometimes suffers from poor

acceleration or hesitation. I would therefore suggest that you contact

your local Toyota Centre in order that they may look into these issues for

you.

We do not have any known issues with regards to EGR valve issues on the iQ

range.

A full list of Toyota Centres can be found on our website,

www.toyota.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Claire Patel

Customer Relations Executive

What the :censor: is going on??

I will go to my dealer where mine was done and get the bulliten number for you. I have seen it as he showed me and it lists all the problems people have been experiencing and why it has been upgraded. And yes mine is a 1.0 multidrive Nov09 reg. As far as i know all that is required that the dealer looks up the bulliten and reconises the work is to be done then gets the ok from Main Toyota and they book you in. The thing to remember is play on the safety aspect as the bulliten lists the problems and are potentially dangerous. Just shows you about different dealers. I simply went in stated that people on the iQ forum were experiencing the problem and that there was a bulliten about it and that was that No road check just took my word for it and the bulliten backed it up

David

David

If you can ask for a photo copy of the sheet and upload to

forum if you can

:thumbsup:

I think it is important when you go to a Service Desk or a Reception Desk at a Car Dealership to hand your vehicle in for work or Warranty work that you ask the Reception Staff if they are Mechanically Qualified, or are they just speaking from there knowledge of being on the reception desk!

**( if they are getting into making statements on known or un-known faults and technical matters concerning a motor vehicle.)

Thats just if its a mechanical problem you have and not just handing over keys and having something typed into a computer or noted on a service sheet.

Ask to speak to the Work Shop Manager or Head Mechanic/Technician over mechanical or technical matters or concerns and symptoms & get it from the horses mouth not the Clerk.

Reception staff are not hired on their C&G or Mechanical Engineering qualifications,

some are not even hired on the Customer Service standards or communication skills as it transpires.

Truthfulness appears not to be another requirement in the Motor Trade.

Verbal statements are never worth the paper they are not written on, so if you are being assured that something is tested and comes within perameters or similar statements, ask them to write that on the Service Sheet or invoice and sign that.

george

Thanks George. I didn't believe anything he said, therefore didn't count on it.

I have now phoned Toyota Struans Perth as well to see if this has been an issue with there cars. Apparently it hasn't but the manager I spoke to said this IS an EGRV on this car which I know this is after getting lied from Western Toyota on this matter. He did explain I would have to book it in (Which I have done at Western on next Tuesday) to put it on the diagnosis and see if there's a issue. I will then strongly inform them of the fact its a major safety problem and there's a bulletin about it as mentioned by you guys on here.

Apparently you can't just phone, book it in and get it replaced. He said all vehicle's get checked on a road test and through the diagnosis first to see if there is any underlining problems. I'm unsure what they will do after this has been done? The only reason I am saying this is, I am not the type of person to get taken for a ride and would like to know, if they deny it and say its fine, where do I stand and is there anything I can prove to make them worry themselves?

The advice has been top notch so far on here trying to get us all to take this matter more seriously. Which is great :)

Hi iq owners out their.

I'm glad that highlighting this problem to all of you is now starting to help, and I'm also glad that starting this topic has highlighted how poor some of the Toyota dealerships are.

For one I had an issue in the early months of buying my brand new iq2 from RRG in Bolton ans I can tell you I have never and never will have any more to do with them.

I now take my car to Vantage Toyota in Preston for servicing etc. It is at Vantage Toyota that I went with the poor and dangerous engine performance.

Straight away they showed me diagrams of the EGR Valves and I booked it in their and then with no fuss.

I started this thread because I was concerned about the fact that it was not a recall and that any body out their with an IQ may have this problem after their warranty runs out and not before ( lucky for me) and so may have to pay out a £1,000 bill to have a new EGR Valve, Catalitic Coverter plus pipes and gaskets needed.

Good luck every one, do not give in to them and spread the word before any body gets hurt because believe me I got close a couple of times.

Gary - it's a worry of how I've been in touch with 2 local Toyota garages and not one has heard of this fault (and the mpg computer problem to add as well.)

I will have to see what happens on Tuesday. Will it appear on the system about the EGRV straight away like your experience? Just so I know what to expect :)

Going to MR T now will try to get the bulletin to upload

David

That would be a massive find David :thumbsup: Keep us posted soon as your out of Toyota

Gary - it's a worry of how I've been in touch with 2 local Toyota garages and not one has heard of this fault (and the mpg computer problem to add as well.)

Aaron, just for your information about the mpg computer problem.

They do know about it at Western because I had mine done on my old IQ a couple of years ago and at least two of the same front of house clerks are still there.

I reported the fault the day after I bought the car, they said it was normal, I wrote to head office after I heard newer cars were OK, and got a reply saying it was a fault and please take the car in to be fixed.

Which I did, so Western do know about it.

Why they should be in denial defeats me, in the end surely Toyota has to pay them for any warranty work they do?

Good luck with your valve.

You could always go to Preston for the day and get it changed there!

John

Thats good to know John.

I mean't Toyota in Perth didn't know of both problems - my bad, sorry! Haven't asked Western about the mpg problem as yet, just the EGRV. Will advise on Tuesday. Did you get a copy of the correct mileage stamped or did they alter it as well?

It doesn't matter if mileage goes back to 0 anyway, long as they have it stored on their system of the change

Aaron,

Western stamped the service book to say the odometer had been changed with a note of the original mileage, which was remarkably efficient for them..They can't alter the mileage on the replacement unit so you start again at zero.

I looked back and found a discussion thread about it which may be of interest though I realise you are more concerned about the valve issue

The part number of the updated display unit is 83800-74081.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102868&hl=60mpg&st=0

John

Ok here we go. Toyota appear to use 2 search systems. One is called TOTTS and the other Tech Docs. My guess is you need a log on for Tech Docs as you can look at manuals and you have to pay for the online search time as an individual. That said the Bulletin number is

EG -0064T-0811. It may be on one system and not the other. In fact it may be on both but with a short code of only 4 digits. Good luck guys. I couldnt get a copy because there is restrictions on releasing bulletins. Sorry for that.

David

John - thanks I've browsed that thread previous but the part number is much appreciated :)

David - superb, thats great news on just the bulletin number as Western Toyota don't seem to be aware of this problem so will help me hugely if they try and tell me the car runs fine and doesn't require anything.

Would it be advised to re-phone them before my car goes in and give them this bulletin number so they know I'm not talking rubbish? Or just wait till next Tuesday when my car goes in?

I would phone them and quantify it by saying you are a member of this Toyota forum site and quit a few people have had theirs changed due to the symptoms on the bulletin and have encountered no issues with toyota over the replacement. If they start saying about road testing your car Firstly state the bulletin states its an intermittant problem. And a safety issue. Then of course if they insist then default to my last statement about about local press

David

Does anyone have the bulletin for the mpg issue?

I would phone them and quantify it by saying you are a member of this Toyota forum site and quit a few people have had theirs changed due to the symptoms on the bulletin and have encountered no issues with toyota over the replacement. If they start saying about road testing your car Firstly state the bulletin states its an intermittant problem. And a safety issue. Then of course if they insist then default to my last statement about about local press

David

They might just say, your car is booked in on Tuesday so we will see then. Is there any point in giving them the bulletin number before the appointment? Will it help things on the day?

If fact by letting them road test your vehicle your encouraging them to drive a potentially dangerous vehicle as you are aware of the bulletin

David

So I can give them the bulletin via phone for this problem and say 'there it is, in black and white, now fix it?' Sorry never dealt with an issue like this so unsure what my next step should be.

You could fire off an Email to Toyota UK Customer Services and any other Toyota UK address you can find,

asking advice about your concerns over safety matters and the un-helpful Dealership.

I would put a link to this Thread in this forum for them and anyone else to understand that there is a problem, not getting fairly dealt with..

Safety being a major concern and future costs to customers and owners as the warranty finishes on the first IQ's that were registered in the UK.

Copy and send to the Toyota UK Media Department and 'forward' to your Toyota Dealership,

including ones to the Managing Director & the Directors of the Dealership Group.

That usually gets a reaction within the Day.

Especially if that Email gets a few other 'Forwards to the Media/Publicity department.

I usually also send them to Record's Motor Editor, Sun Motor Edotor, CAR, EVO, Autocar, Top Gear magazine and any other Car Related magazine ot motoring journalist in my PC's address book.

Then another last Email to the Manufacturers which has all the other recipients addresses showing..

Later depending on how good the Customer Services respond, i might send thank you Emails,

or the next Ones are Opening my complaint with the Local Trading Standards Officer.

george

PS

Might as well put a few 'forwards' to Toyota in Japan, include their Media/Pubicity Dept.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links