Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

Today my IQ is going for a EGR Fix. Thanks for Toyota Poland for fixed this problem after warranty time for free. Tommorow i will share my feelings after the job will done. I thank You very much for so many information and solutions of this problem.

Yesterday, Toyota dealer call me and told that after the EGR component replacment check engine light was turn on. Later they telling me that lambda sensor is broken (one of heater). Probably they damage this sensor when they detached it from old parts of exhaust. Now tell me that i should cover the cost of repair. New sensor cost 1000zł ( 350 euro), that some kind of joke. :disgust:

Same problem I had. But mine came on randomly one day. It's been a week now and my car seems fine so Im hoping it will stay off.

If yours is on, yes they will have to recover the cost as it was presumably not on when you went in?

Yes, before repair I had all of the syptoms that you describe in forum but check engine light never turn on. I've checked car few times using the obdII reader and car was clear of any problems or codes. When mechanic goes for a test drive the check engine light came up on dashboard and next They phoned to me to tell about the problem.

If it went in without it on (and they will know this from driving into the workshop) they will see it's there mistake. As you've mentioned - the lambda sensor has to come off to replace the as mentioned parts. So it's now there problem, they'll have to fix. I'm sure they will fix it, it's just stating the facts out clearly to them and I|'m sure it will be fine. If they don't and refuse to replace it, ask for a branch manager, if that's not enough a phonecall to Toyota HQ wouldn't go a miss. Just hold onto your guns, because you are telling them the truth there's nothing for you to feel guilty of :)

Thank you for your support. Still waiting for a call from Toyota and I hope they behave like they should.

It's over. The car was repaired with a lambda sensor.

7500zł (1785euro) for the cost of repair parts. At last the car starts normally with low rpm and don't slip on higher speeds.

Again, I can enjoy the ride.

More news on my efforts to have the EGR Valve sorted. Took the car in yesterday to William A. Lewis in Shewsbury for them to have an extensive look at it today, Friday 22/06. Got a call around lunchtime from them about picking the car up, and that they have discovered nothing on the tests. However, he did say he has found there is a bulletin for this problem, he explained to me what it said. Short story is, they have two parts on back order from Japan, and the other parts they have in stock have been put aside for use on our car. The upshot of that is waiting for the parts to arrive, hopefully for the end of this month, 30th June, and then book it in for the three hours or so work on it. Result, and thanks for all the comments about this issue from everyone else, prompting me to take ours in for a checkup. Anyone else with doubts, just take it in, let them run tests and see what happens.

Also another iQ arrived this morning at the dealers with the same problem, so it seems that there will likely be more showing up on the radar of Toyota dealers with the same issue. He is also having to wait for the parts from Japan, spoke to him and his wife who had both experienced the issue.

On another note, the courtesy car I had was an Aygo 'ICE,' in red. Not that impressed with it, but the suspension appeared to handle the bumps better and going up a few short hills I didn't have to change down to third like I do in the iQ, it managed it in fourth. Tyre/road noise is terrible in them, and I noticed the rear wiper is set up for a left hand drive car, clearing the left side of the rear window, and the bonnet release on the left/passenger side too. Still, it's great on fuel and although the seats are comfy, getting in, front or back is more awkward for me than the iQ is. My opinion, no offence to the Aygo owners of course.

Hello Bob,

I am glad for you that the problem will be solved.

If it is solved you will be very happy because driving is fun there is a lot of power in the engine.

But the first time the wheels will be spinning when you start driving.

I was not used to it but now a week after the modification I can drive away on a normal way.

I agree, the 1.0 is nippy but I didn't notice a 'drastic' change in power. Maybe because mine only done it a few times and I just got it fixed for future problems :)

Neelix, I don't understand what is going on here. I wrote a reply to you on here two days ago, and posted it. I saw it below Aaron's post... how annoying it's gone!

Can't recall what I wrote now, something on the lines of how nice it is to know that it is going to be fixed. I'm not that keen on using the car in the mean time, but don't have a choice. Our's is not as bad as the guy I spoke to outside the dealer's. He had to reverse up his drive as there wasn't enough power to go in forwards! His wife also had a problem with it, along with another incident he mentioned. He and his wife, along with my wife and I still love our cars.

Glad you're enjoying your iQ again and wondering if ours will feel any different after it's done. Hopefully this post will still be here after I post it.

Hello Bob,

I don't know what your reply was but for me it is important that the problem on your IQ will be solved.

I was thinking about making pictures for you so you can see what Toyota changed on my car.

There are some pictures on this forum and on those I saw that it was exactly the same change as in my car.

But if I make pictures too it is clear the lack of power is something which happenes with a lot of IQ's everywhere in Europe and they are all 2009 IQ's.

I received the bill of the modification yesterday and it was all waranty.

So no costs.

But check your engine when you receive the car back after the modification to check if everything is changed.

Hello Bob,

I don't know what your reply was but for me it is important that the problem on your IQ will be solved.

Agreed. Looking forward to it being 'normal.'

I was thinking about making pictures for you so you can see what Toyota changed on my car.

Thanks Neelix, I have seen the other pictures on here about the problem and the guy at the dealers told me it's actualy the pipe that is the problem. He also seemed to be genuinely surprised at the fix (the Bulletin) provided by Mr. T.

There are some pictures on this forum and on those I saw that it was exactly the same change as in my car.

But if I make pictures too it is clear the lack of power is something which happenes with a lot of IQ's everywhere in Europe and they are all 2009 IQ's.

I mentioned to the service guy that this is a problem across Europe with the EGR Valve, he said it must be the 2009 model year that has the problem.

I received the bill of the modification yesterday and it was all waranty. So no costs.

Always good news it's free (warranty) work done.

But check your engine when you receive the car back after the modification to check if everything is changed.

Will do and thanks for the concern. That's what I like about this forum, people do give a shi*.

Update from early this afternoon. The car will be going in on Friday morning as the parts have arrived today. What a relief. I will be handed the key/s to an iQ... so I can compare the newer model to our 59 plate version. The sun is shining, and all of a sudden, it's a real nice day.

Well peeps, it's back in our hands again, fully repaired and although I had to wait ages for it to be ready, it was nice to get it back. The poor buggers at the dealers were severely understaffed today so they couldn't guarantee a time for completion of the job. I'll be putting some pics on here later as there is a question I have about one of them. It shows a copper cable, I think, at the bottom of the area where the work was done.

Problem is I can't access the Internet from my desktop until we swap over to BT on 16th July, so I'm stuck -relatively speaking- using the laptop, which does not have my photo editing software on it so... it's complicated. Photo's tomorrow.

So finally, here are the pictures. Pics 96 and 97 are showing -not very clearly I admit- the item in question. Is it meant to be covered up? It looks like it's thick copper wire, and although I don't spend ours under the bonnet, I have not seen this before. Could anyone enlighten me as to what it might be? :unsure:

post-113536-0-60737500-1341178716_thumb.

post-113536-0-26327300-1341178754_thumb.

post-113536-0-82799000-1341178778_thumb.

post-113536-0-59602900-1341178920_thumb.

post-113536-0-44280700-1341178947_thumb.

• 6 months later...

Hi Bob

I will be going along to William a Lewis in Telford to get them to book my car in to get the EGR valve fixed and the mpg readout changed. (wish me luck lol)

Is there anything else i can arm myself with apart from the TSB number and part numbers?? Also if they get shirty with me can i mention that you have had the work done but in the Shrewsbury branch.

Not good in confrontational matters but with the right ammo could win this.

Cheers.

Hi Tonka iq

If you have a look back through my postings you will see the Toyota bulletin number you require is EG -0064T-0811 they may have to look on a system they call TOTTS to find it. Arm yourself with this and stick to your guns and don't budge on it. It is potentially dangerous if you don't get it done.

David

Hi Bob

I will be going along to William a Lewis in Telford to get them to book my car in to get the EGR valve fixed and the mpg readout changed. (wish me luck lol)

Is there anything else i can arm myself with apart from the TSB number and part numbers?? Also if they get shirty with me can i mention that you have had the work done but in the Shrewsbury branch.

Not good in confrontational matters but with the right ammo could win this.

Cheers.

No problem, use my name if you have to. What is it? Oh yeah, Robert Higgins. The car reg is GF59LXX, they can check that was done last year, both the Trip Computer and EGR Valve were done. I agree with David (Tarquin) on this too, it should have been a number of seperate recalls to fix these issues, along with the brakes, steering and gearbox issues some people have had. Best of luck Tonka.

Thanks for that Bob.

Hope i don't have to get heavy with them and name names. :chair:

Will keep all updated on progress.

:euro: :euro:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Booked car into William A Lewis in Telford to get EGR valve and mpg readout changed, gave them the TSB details etc. They said they would need the car for testing for a day maybe two.

On the allotted day i took my car in and they gave me an Aygo ice to use. At the end of day one i called them to see how things were going and was told that they were still assessing the car and it will be ready the next day.

At the end of day two i called again and was told that they had a couple of parts on back order for the car and it would be ready next day.

Result they had tested the car and repaired it all at the same time no problem at all.

Next day i got a call telling me the car was ready so went to pick it up. The difference once the work is done is amazing the car pulls better and has more power all round. It is amazing how you dont notice the gradual fall off of power with the old valve tho i have not had the car that long.

Top marks for William A Lewis (Telford) for a first class service.

:driving:

• Like 1

Great news Tonka. I am pleased to hear that the other dealer at Telford are as good as the one in Shrewsbury. I expect there are more iQ's out there 'gasping' away at junctions and roundabouts and so on. I really think this one should have been a full on recall, but hey, they did have a few last year. Good on Mr. T though for calling all of them in, unlike Ford, Vauxhall and so on who would need a bomb under their backside to get them to do anything.

• 6 months later...

Just a bit of information I think all iq1 and iq2 owners should know about before their warranty runs out.

I have had my IQ2 for 2 1/2 years now and covered just over 32,000 miles.

My car went in for its 30,000 mile service last month and I complained about a lack of power, missfireing and spluttering that been getting worse over the last few months.

Straight away the guy at the service desk went around the back and came back with pieces of paper with diagrams of 2 types of EGR Valves, he said that it was a fault with the EGR Valve and that they would book it in to have a new modified EGR Valve fitted, which they did.

After I picked the car up it felt like brand new if not better, loads of touque and power, it runs like a dream now and the MPG has increased.

The warranty bill for the repairs to be billed to Toyota came to £998 Plus Labour and VAT.

They didnt just have to fit a new EGR Valve and all the pipes and gaskets but they also had to fit a new Catalitic Converter plus pipes and gaskets plus any other pipes that got clogged up.

I'm conserned that for those of you that do not travel the miles that I do may have this problem once or after their warranty has ran out.

Toyota are NOT making a recall for this/these faults.

I recomend that you take your car into Toyota and make the same complaint that I did or you could end up paying out for these repairs at a later date.

Toyota is aware that this is a manufactur fault and that they should give a lifetime insurance on this issue. I really can't believe that there hasn't been a recall. Is this the same Toyota company that recalls millions of cars because a button can fall off? TOYOTA, YOU SHOULD TAKE ACTION AND DO A RECALL ON THIS ISSUE,

• Like 1

My View:

EGR valve should be replaced as a recall item. Toyota are being very unprofessional not doing this.

Rear Suspension knocks, I noticed this on two other IQ's i test drove before I purchased mine, seems to be a common IQ issue.

• Like 1

Toyota cannot Recall a car only VOSA can instigate a recall

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links