Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

In my opinion, David Gilmour made a number of posts on the morning of 10th August on recalls and engine oil, which appear to be designed to wind TOC members up or give misleading information.

re post 100.

Toyota can put out a Recall if they so wish.

They have often enough.

They Toyota have a quality Control, Design or manufacturing problem with some vehicles and waited untill cars were going out of Warranty before actually accepting that publicly.

It will be different from a VOSA Safety Recall.

Toyota can request that VOSA make the Recall, because it is a 'Safety Matter'.

& in the case where there might well be actions taken against them

maybe they should.

george

Two different things here a recall can only be instigated by VOSA, Toyota can issue a Customer satisfaction campaign but they cannot get owners information from Dvla for a CSC so cannot directly contact current owners.

A CSC will only be issued if the failure rate exceeds a pre determined level, if the failure rate through my dealer is typical then this issue is tiny in relation to actual sales numbers, I have seen 4 in 4 years against hundreds of sold units.

I honestly believe the issue seems exaggerated on here as this is where people with potential issues look and ask questions. You are far more likely to find unhappy people here with issues then happy ones just popping extolling the vitues of there car, that is just the way these forums work.

All Imho

Given all, you say,

then are the 4 failures or problems with iQs that can lose power at a junction etc not a problem or a hazard?

The car came out in 2009 and those started showing problems in 2012.

(in 2011 Dealerships were saying there were no problems until that was proved wrong)

So unlikely for you to see many in the first 3 years,

but you have seen 4, and that might well now rise.

The subject is not about happiness, or what a Dealership thinks or has experienced really is it.

Corporate responsibility takes some importance.

1 fatality will be enough to kick off with,

the Air Bag Recall came about after years of known problems, but supposedly 1 accident in the US.

It is funny how the Industry and Traders can be like '3 Monkeys', 'See, Hear and say no Evil'.

& treat Customers that pay and are who keeps those in a job of selling cars to the public,

can be treated like Mushrooms.

'Kept in the Dark' & Shovelled with Sh1,t'.

It all comes out in the wash in the End.

Toyota react to where the Legal Actions might come from,

USA first usually.

george

There are approx. 17,500 IQ's registered in the UK (up to quarter 1 2013). There appears to be approx. 12 vehicles mentioned in this topic that have had these issues.

And your point is.

How many of the 2009 cars that have had problems are members on here.?

How many need to have problems before you think it is a problem?

Count iQ 1 & 2 manuals 2009-2010, Euro 4 engines.

on howmanyleft or from where ever.

You do not seem to have a faulty car and appear to not have been told by a garage that there was no problem to discover there was and that Toyota were aware and can rectify the problem,

but that was too late for some owners now out of Warranty.

Nobody is ganging up on Toyota just getting the word out to those that were mislead.

By Dealerships originally.

No need to defend Toyota, if they feel Defamed they can take action if they feel they have a defence and anything untruthful is written.

Do the Mods see any thing untrue yet,

One person who appears to work in a Toyota Dealership says they might have seen 4 cars with the problem.

You count 12.

Maybe i can give details on some more that are not from the 4 or the 12.

I see quite a few iQ's as well, not just count numbers on a forum.

george

• Like 1

My point was to put the situation into context.

More importantly - look at post number 101.

Several of you have been victims of a probable spammer, who, on one morning, has resurrected several old topics, posted contentious remarks about recalls intended only to inflame TOC members, and who moved on to somewhere else on the same morning.

Leaving behind some members who, having posted comments since 10th August, have unfortunately fallen into the spammer's trap and been quite effectively wound up ......

• Like 1

If the figures of registered cars are taken from "how many left, the UK will not include Scotland or NI

See post 107

Great Britain and Northern Ireland, ie the UK.

UK Registration figures and vehicles on SORN. .

Why would that not include Scotland and Northern Ireland.?

This is becoming a bit silly now.

The Member that posted in each thread the other morning did it as i was posting and reading his posts.

He said nothing wrong, just really bumped each Thread.

The Oil post was a bit silly IMO.

The subject of EGR problems is not an Internet Myth.

Long term Members here have had the problem.

Euro 4 engine vehicles. 1.0 litre.

george

• Like 1

I am not a spammer but I own a 4 year old IQ and am a member of the Dutch (n9w down) and German IQ forums, The EGR problem is a serious problem, not just one made up by this '/spammer'. Read the german forums about the EGR as well. I still believe that this is a very serious and dangerous thing! And that Toyota should take action!

• Like 1

Re the "how many left" exclusions. It's not silly, as a lifelong classic car enthusiast I have cause to use this site lots and, when we have questioned anomalies on the numbers, the explaination given by the webmaster was just that. Do not shot the messenger. I am finding this group increasingly unhelpful and iridescent in the way it talks to members, as such, I will be taking a break now from it. Shame that the few on here that do not know how to speak in a civilised manner ruin it for the rest.

My View:

EGR valve should be replaced as a recall item. Toyota are being very unprofessional not doing this.

Rear Suspension knocks, I noticed this on two other IQ's i test drove before I purchased mine, seems to be a common IQ issue.

I have put extra spring inside the rear springs... when there is a lot of heavy stuf in the rear the iQ would really bend backwards..now that is over.

Company in Holland "Car Support" near Rotterdam.

If you want springtype and number I can give you. Cause I got heavier springs than is advised in there online spring sheet/list thing.

BTW.... .. Yesterday I went to the Toyota garage cause of the older model EGR in my iQ from 2010. The car shows sometime some slower accelleration at a trafficlight. They looked it up and found the problems with the EGR in there Toyota database. I have an appointment next week. I will keep you all informed what happens.

In Holland we do not have an iQ club anymore so I do not know what is going on with the other iQ's. Thought that this problem was more in England... Or they handled the problem better in England.

Enayways .. He recognised the problem and said that this is all a warrenty thing. And I have an extended warrenty till 2015. I bought 2 years extra....when I bought the car it was standard 3 years.

scimberk,

what i considered silly was the suggestion that vehicles registered in Scotland and Northern Ireland would not be included in UK figures.

I think most of us know that figures are not accurate.

I own 2 cars that are on SORN where the Government and other sites show there are none on SORN.

(must be because the Registered address has a Scottish Post Code on the DVLA Database!!,

seems unlikely though.)

Also forum members that have not had an iQ with problems that seem to think that raising and then repeating again and again on a problem is exaggeration.

The Threads i bumped show that reports of problems go back 2 years and before,

Toyota reacted very very slowly.

All around Europe.

Clearly cars can not get to 2 year old until they are 2 years old.

Now these cars are 4 years old, so why would the problems be something anyone working in a dealership would expect to see in the past 4 years.

Dealers and Sales people appear to dismiss things because 'they have not seen'.

Well often there are 'None as blind as the man who will not see.'

If a trained Mechanical Engineer or Technician wants to explain why the problem is just 'all in the drivers mind' and show that as true, then some might listen.

Usually when you say you drive it daily and see if its an exaggeration you get a different story.

The EGR fault is no problem to those that do not have it,

Its rather more important to those that are suffering the Faulty EGR and need to pay to Replace parts with their own 'Cash Money'.

george

• Like 1

Will all the negative press re the IQ EGR valve issue, perhaps Toyota now can accept that they have made a mistake not making this a re call item, the more we post about it the more likely this message is going to hit home !

• Like 1

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

If anyone wants to make Toyota more aware that EGR problem should be made re call item by Toyota UK and worldwide you can write to:

Mr Jon Williams, President and Managing Director of Toyota GB,

Toyota (GB) plc

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

United Kingdom

OR:

IN JAPAN - Board of Directors

Address - Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan

Akira Imura - Chairman

Chairman

Akira
Imura

Vice
Chairman

Kazunori
Yoshida

President

Tetsuro
Toyoda

Executive
Vice Presidents

Kimpei Mitsuya

Tetsuo Agata

Chiaki Yamaguchi

Senior

Managing Directors

Toshiyuki Sekimori

Kazue Sasaki

Hirotaka Mori****a

Shinya Furukawa

Akira Onishi

Masaharu Suzuki

Directors

Masafumi Kato

Norio Sasaki

Toshifumi Ogawa

Toshifumi Onishi

Fujio Cho

Corporate Auditors

Standing
Corporate Auditors

Shigetaka Yoshida

Kakuo Ishikawa

Corporate
Auditors

Katsuaki Watanabe

Toshio Mita

Hans-Juergen Marx

Managing Officers

Senior
Managing Officers

Takaki Ogawa

Kohei Nozaki

Kan Otsuka

Taku Yamamoto

Managing

Officers

Yukihisa Tsuchimoto

Hiroaki Asai

Takashi Ito

Toshiya Yamagishi

Junichi Harada

Mikihiko Okamoto

Hirooki Fujiwara

Yasuhiro Murata

Yojiro Mizuno

Masahiro Kawaguchi

Susumu Toyoda

Yuji Ishizaki

Keizo Hara

Kiyotsugu Kurimoto

Masafumi Kunito

Toshihiko Shimizu

Koichi Ito

If anybody wants to write to Toyota I suggest you write to Toyota GB, writing to Toyota Japan only concludes with your letter being returned to GB to be dealt with from there, wasting your time and effort

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo,

Re your above post:

I don't know, however you may be right about Japan returning letters back to UK, if that's the case its just another reason why I will not be buying another Toyota.

Any head office of any company that deals with this type of issue in that manner, then I do not wish to continue to do buisness with them in the future.

That also tells me we should all send thousands of letters to all Top Toyota personell in Japan, and lets just see if they can just continue to ignore us all ?

I will keep up this clear message of mine that also represents the clear views of many others until I get a appropriate response from Toyota, I haven't even started yet, and not even warmed myself up !

The national press might be next on my list to write to.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Think this is a fairly common approach - leaving things to either the local importer or to the arm of their company in that Region to sort problems.

VAG have longstanding problems in Australia, including issues with their DSG gearboxes. See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2013-06/volkswagen-reliability-shock-in-australia/

VAG have told the Australian importer to sort the issues, rather than taking some responsibility themselves.

I will write a letter to mr Toyota asking him about a recall, I wonder what he will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

I have now completed a safety issue form and sent it to VOSA, as suggested in the above post they (VOSA) have also now rang me to ask me more questions about the EGR as a safety issue, I suggest that anyone else who believes the EGR is a safety issue should do the same. If you don't take this action then perhaps its best not to complain about it on this forum anymore. Positive Regards, Bob

• Like 2

EGR Valve safety issue update:

VOSA are now investigating my claim that the old EGR valve hesitation is a safety issue and will inform me of there findings when investigations are completed, My IQ has already had the EGR valve replaced so I do no have the problem anymore. I am "suggesting" to VOSA that all IQ's with old EGR valves should fall under item No 4 below, The various and possible outcomes of the VOSA investigation are:

There are a number of outcomes that may result from a VOSA investigation:

1) No action – there is no evidence to suggest that a safety defect, under the terms of the relevant Code of Practice, exists.

2) Service campaign/customer satisfaction campaign – there is an issue that needs addressing but it does not come under the terms of the relevant Code of Practice. The manufacturer, producer or supplier instigates this work when the vehicle is returned to the dealerships for other work (you can check if your vehicle is outstanding any works by ringing your local dealer and quoting your VIN number which is available on your registration document). This is normally free of charge.

3) Production change – this is when there is a decision to change the way the vehicle is produced to ensure that this issue does not recur. This can be in conjunction with a service campaign or a safety recall.

4) Safety recall – this is when the manufacturer, producer or supplier will write directly to customers (when dealing with registered product) using either their company data or DVLA data, to request that they return their vehicle to the dealership for a rework free of charge.

Time will now tell what outcome will come from this VOSA investigation.

When I get any further info from VOSA I will post the results on this forum.

Those of you you who are believe this item should be a safety Toyota re call item and repaired free of charge irrespective of a warranty claim should contact VOSA and complete a form to advise them of your view as I already have. otherwise stop complaining about it on this forum.

Positive Regards, Bob

• Like 1