Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

When I had my "missing fuse due to an ill-prepared and PDI'd car" issue a few months ago I sent an e-mail to Toyota Customer Relations saying I was not pleased with the performance of the dealership (Western Toyota).

As I had fixed the problem with David's help there was no action to be taken by them other than to note what I had said.

They replied saying a copy of my e-mail had been sent by them to Western Toyota's franchise head, and hoped all was now in order.(I had not sent WT a copy)

So I presume Western are aware that at least one adverse comment has been logged against them recently, and noted by Toyota.

The salesman I dealt with was at the same school as me many years after me and we had a certain affinity, if not total trust, and he admitted Toyota had descended on that dealership about 2 years ago with a big stick and had forced a major re-think in their attitude.

Unfortunately I think the rotten wood is still there and only the bright young saplings have been removed.

Certainly the same service team is in place when what they needed was a fresh outlook.

They are very silly people. Are they totally unaware of the power of forums and word of mouth information sharing? Both good and bad.

Western have not contacted me since to admit to their shortcomings or apologise, so they must be adopting a head in the sand approach and hoping I will go away.

John

I don't think any letter at the present moment will alter things in terms of speeding things up but saying that, it might be the only way.

Its interesting to hear more bad word on Western Toyota. Especially by yourself John. I am certainly not keeping my hopes up and just have to hold off till next Tuesday when I can go in, references/notes to hand and basically start off in a nice manner and see if they cooperate or not. If you went to them recently, least they might remember this.

As mentioned I'll start off with the main issue - EGRV and then go off topic on the MPG unit as well. I'm glad people are understanding why I'm wanting this all done as my warranty expires August 2012. I mean... my car isn't hesitating 'too' badly but it has done it and therefore because others have had this done under warranty with no issues, I should be no different. Its still Toyota, just a different dealership.

I'm still unsure to phone them today and let me know I have the bulletin number that David kindly enclosed for us all. I don't want to hassle them but then again this bulletin number is the fault code for them. I refuse to go out on a roadtest which they've booked me in for as its now a proved fault, so why have I got to prove to them my car is faultly, when it clearly is?? I will turn up and have a word, just now a 'road test'. Am I right in saying that is the way to go?

Cheers folks :)

Thanks David for the Bulletin number, you're a star. It's so good to see that we can support each other to defeat the crass attitude of the dodgy dealers in the Toyota Network. Shame on them for not admitting these are problems with the iQ. I mean, the AVG mpg computer display is nothing compared to this EGR valve. It's downright dangerous. That anyone should have to experience it is just plain wrong. I'm not that keen on conflict, had enough of that in my life, but it's because of that fact I will fight them over this if I have to. I am hoping my local dealer, William A. Lewis of Shrewsbury will be as nice as they were about the AVG mpg computer. However, being armed with the 'Bulletin Number of Truth' will help, along with the support from you guy's and gals.

May all the dodgy dealers eat humble pie... FOREVER!

:eat::eek:

Well said Bob. It has to come to a end and me personally, am going to print this topic off and go in armed with as much paperwork and proof as physically possible to get mine sorted out. No way am I forking out 1k for a problem that should of been dealt with at the factory.

Aaron, It has been 2-3 years since the computer problem was fixed on my IQ so they may not remember it, they certainly will probably say they don't remember, but it is a well documented fault so they can't deny it exists.

I didn't deal with them directly about the fuse problem so the service people may not have even been told about it.

The whole point of the EGRV issue is that it is intermittent and unpredictable and that is what makes it so dangerous.

If your wife had been out in the car and just missed being flattened by a 30ton truck because she pulled out in front of it thinking she would have adequate power but suddenly didn't, came home in tears refusing to use the car again and with petrified children also in the car, then to leave the car at the dealership "to see if it happens again" is missing the point....it has happened, you are not a liar, you love the car but it is unsafe, your wife and children will not use it, Toyota knows there is a fault and this is a perfect example of when it needs to be fixed.

If they had it for a day, ragged it to death,and no hesitation occurs proves nothing.

The next day the truck incident could happen again.

If it had happened to me I would be very scared to use the car.

The service manager is (when I was last there) Gerry Peat and I would be inclined to bypass the "catch all" net at the front desk and quietly have a word with him saying how scared you/your wife are about driving the car after the fright you had and could he please do something about it.The first time it happened you thought it was driver error but now realise it must be something stifling the engines performance in an unpredictable way.

He will be programmed into the "leave it with us" response but that is not the answer as the problem has happened once, at least, and WILL happen again. Your word that it has happened should be enough.

It is not a rattling ashtray that needs to be fixed.

It is/could be a life and death issue.

There is also the dealership manager if Mr Peat is difficult, surely none of them want to be culpable if there was an accident.

For heavens sake Toyota has produced a bulletin and a fix for the issue...what more do you need to do?

The number I use to call Western is 01383 627630, and ask for who you want to speak to.

John

Thank you John, I just phoned them for the second time and got through to Derek Stuart, service manager at Western. Very helpful this time around and gave him the bulletin number for the EGRV. After I gave him that it must of came up there was a known fault. He actually admitted he's driven one with this fault and it had the work carried out under warranty.

I have to go in now first thing on Tuesday and the parts should be there, ready to get fitted. What a relief! Becuase he knew this problem existed, he was very helpful and didn't even question after I told him how dangerous this for me and my partner. All n all, happy at this particular chap and he said if I can get the bulletin number for the MPG, he will look into that too, as it's not coming up on his system.

If anyone knows the bulletin for the MPG computer unit, this would help me and everyone massively to get these two big issues with the IQ sorted. :)

That is absolutely great to hear Aaron, you must be very relieved.

Confrontations are never pleasant and it is good that one was avoided.

It seems there is a new service manager, so my previous comments about Western must now be put on hold, pending further evidence.

Well done anyway.

John

cant help with the other bulletin number i'm afraid.

Sorry cant help with the MPG bulletin. I think it would be a bit cheeky of me to ask again as it was a no questions asked aquisition. Sorry mate

David

Relieved I certainly am. It seemed so quick after giving him the number and no questions were asked. Maybe cause he knew I wasn't backing down and had proof.

If anyone has models around mine, strongly advised to get this seen too.

Just need mpg bulletin now :(

David - you've helped enough on the main, dangerous issue so honestly, don't be sorry!!

Thanks again mate :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all as I have just had this fix done to my IQ. I told them the TSB number and they got the repair done. I was also trying to get the mpg display changed but couldn't be bothered to argue with them any more as it wouldn't really change anything for me as I get such poor mileage due to doing mainly very short trips. Just before my warranty expires as well.

Great to hear Kash :)

A little update on my long issue with mine...

Finally the car was booked in Thur and was ready today. Feels like a different car now, much smoother, miles better on take off, no stalling or jerkyness in 1st gear.

Toyota replaced the following parts on my receipt:

"Checked customer problem, reporting a lack of power or hesitation and happens intermittantly. Checked and confirmed fault. Requires new catalyst converter, downpipe, new gaskets and inlet spacer as per repair bulletin. Supplied and fitted as above and tested. Fine now."

So there you have it. Think the mechanic said £998 worth of work carried out, billed to Toyota. Here's a few photos for anyone uncertain of what has been replaced....

Old EGR Valve

2012-05-29160306.jpg

New EGR Valve

2012-06-11160348.jpg

New catalyst and downpipe

2012-06-11160416.jpg

Big thanks to David and a few others on here for supplying the bulletin number and helpful advise.

• Like 1

what is the bulletin number to get this work done ?

If you go back a few pages, David kindly explains this....

Ok here we go. Toyota appear to use 2 search systems. One is called TOTTS and the other Tech Docs. My guess is you need a log on for Tech Docs as you can look at manuals and you have to pay for the online search time as an individual. That said the Bulletin number is

EG -0064T-0811. It may be on one system and not the other. In fact it may be on both but with a short code of only 4 digits. Good luck guys. I couldnt get a copy because there is restrictions on releasing bulletins. Sorry for that.

David

Ok here we go. Toyota appear to use 2 search systems. One is called TOTTS and the other Tech Docs. My guess is you need a log on for Tech Docs as you can look at manuals and you have to pay for the online search time as an individual. That said the Bulletin number is

EG -0064T-0811. It may be on one system and not the other. In fact it may be on both but with a short code of only 4 digits. Good luck guys. I couldnt get a copy because there is restrictions on releasing bulletins. Sorry for that.

David

David

My IQ is made in 2009 and was one of the first in Holland. I had the same problems with the power of the engine.

It is modified now the same as the pictures above and it is driving like a new car now.

Everything was done in warrantee.

I am very happy with the result.

Peter from Holland

I am sorry my post is double.

It is new for me to post on this forum because our Dutch forum is out of the air.

Well, on this subject, I have gone and booked our iQ in for the 'inspection' of the car where I was told they will need it for a few hours. I mentioned I knew the bulletin number and she said that's not necessary, we'll check it out and if parts are needed they can get them in for the afternoon... My appointment is for 09:30 so two hours finding something to do isn't so bad, and I don't expect they will keep the car there all day anyway. I was asked if the car is still in warranty, thankfully it is. Will keep updating here until this is resolved. Here's hoping it goes as well as it has for most of you'se on here with the same problem.

I don't know if you can have a psycho-sematic issue with a car, but on a -thankfully- few occasions I have noticed a little reluctance to accelerate. I thought before that it was me not pushing the pedal down hard enough or that my foot had slipped off the pedal until I realised it was still there. For some reason my mind goes to pot (not the smoking kind) if something unexpected happens like that, being so quick and all, accompanied by swearing.

Bob, when my car was in the garage I got a new IQ with me.

In the new IQ I noticed there was a lot more power.

If I drove away it was like there was a bigger engine in the car.

I looked under the hood and I saw the modification of the EGR valve and all the pipes.

The problem was my car was dangerous I never knew if it was fast enough to drive in a safe way on the road.

So i mentioned it to the Toyota dealer and I managed to find a drawing of the modification on the internet.

I showed him the drawing and they made an arrangement for the modification.

On the German forum people where mentioning the same issue.

Thanks Neelix. I'm glad in a way that I'm going ahead with this, but do worry -I really do- about the end result. It's reassuring to hear that others who have had the work done notice the difference so much.

So, it seems our Continental Mr. T's are all in the same boat. Why on earth has this not been flagged by them as a recall? I wonder? I think I know why, as it may have already been mentioned before, 'the issue they had with the so called sticking pedals in the US.' They don't want another potential mess on their doorstep, and of course there is the cost of the 'fix.' VOSA should be picking up something like this, surely? George, whadaya know about that? This is some far reaching -insert your own 4 letter word as admin will strike out whatever I write.

Okay, not a good day so far. Took the car to Mr. T, and I'm not happy. I have been asked to take the car in on Thursday (21st) night, so they can test it all day if need be, and try it from cold in the morning on Friday. It's looking like they don't want to do this one, and as stated, I'm not happy. They're giving me a car to use on Thursday night into Friday to pick mine up, I hope on Friday some time.

They claim that they have never heard of this before... I ask you? Anyway, I told the guy there is a bulletin for it, but he wasn't interested in that. So, whadaya do? :unsure:

Bob I got the same patter. Tell them its a safety hazard and basically if the car failed to accelerate, that could take someones life. Its damm right dangerous.

The bulletin number will help as it comes up on their computer the work needing done after you supply it. Whatever you do, do not leave them to rag your car all day... This proves nothing. I spoke to a mechanic on the phone and he was just great and got it booked in. Avoid service sales team as they don't know as much knowledge as the mechanics (through no fault of there own.)

Best bet is to phone 8am and you might get a mechanic answering. Give them the number if they like it or not and it will flag up in front of them :)

Today my IQ is going for a EGR Fix. Thanks for Toyota Poland for fixing this problem after warranty time for free. Tommorow i will share my feelings after the job. Thanks for all of You for so many information and solutions of this problem.