Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

Just a bit of information I think all iq1 and iq2 owners should know about before their warranty runs out.

I recomend that you take your car into Toyota and make the same complaint that I did or you could end up paying out for these repairs at a later date.

I wonder when they rectified the EGR valve fault. i.e. up to which year does this affect?

Welcome to the forum.

Your car will be one with a Euro 5 engine and should not have a problem.

It is with the Euro 4 Emission engine 1.0 iQ1 & iQ2 cars up to late 2010.

george

Welcome to the forum.

Your car will be one with a Euro 5 engine and should not have a problem.

It is with the Euro 4 Emission engine 1.0 iQ1 & iQ2 cars up to late 2010.

george

Thank you for the welcome

Ps - tried to respond to this last night on my Android phone but just couldn't log in

Hello,

Sorry to cross post, but FYI I have posted very detailed information about this issue here :

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/128369-loss-of-power-on-acceleration/?p=1289934

==> the EGRV does NOT need to be changed, nor the catalytic converter, they only relocate some pipes if needed.

• Like 1

EGRV's have been replaced though, on some vehicles.

Then post no1 of this thread, the OP.

No new EGRV,

but £980 plus labour & VAT and a new Catalytic converter fitted.

george

Yes of course - but I was trying to clarify the fact that the TSB does not require the EGRV or the catalytic converter to be replaced.

If it's done, it's on a case by case basis and not a mandatory requirement of the TSB.

Sorry if it was unclear, English is not my native language.

EDIT : I was wrong, whils the TSB schematics does not show the catalytic converter, the TSB does list a pipe assembly to be replaced, and it includes the catalytic converter ! See other post or post below for details.

"Yes of course - but I was trying to clarify the fact that the TSB does not require the EGRV or the catalytic converter to be replaced."

The EGR valve is not replaced because it is part of the potential fault, the Catalyst IS however replaced as part of the modification which also includes the exhaust front pipe & an intake manifold insulator ( plus gaskets etc ) see pictures:

post-45863-0-86965300-1378755555_thumb.p

post-45863-0-91500300-1378755564_thumb.p

Devon Aygo,

i thought according to you a few weeks ago it was a storm in a tea cup, a few moaning drivers that should be happy to drive what Toyota sell them, just an exaggeration of a problem that did not exist.

4 years and how many was it you had seen with the fault?

Seen anymore of these cars without any real problem in the last few weeks?

george

Here's what happened to me : I noticed there was an issue with my car when I left it for service at Toyota a few weeks ago.

They gave me an Aygo with the same engine for a day, while my iQ was in service.

And boy, I felt a huge difference !

When I came back, I told the guy at the service desk I was surprised and asked him to confirm that it was the same engine. He said yes, and told me that maybe the difference was due to different gearing ratios in the gearbox... I was a bit skeptical, but I had nothing to reply, so I left.

THEN, I saw this thread.

So today I came back to him and told him "remember ? I told you I was surprised when I drove the Aygo, I think my car has an issue" and he told me "I'm not sure, come back tomorrow for a test drive with the lead technician". So tomorrow I'll drive but I won't leave the place until I have secured an appointment for the fix. I will come with a print of the TSB.

The fact that I felt the difference when I drove the Aygo with the same engine, WITHOUT prior knowledge of this fault, is a definite proof that there is indeed a real loss of power in my car. But this does not mean the problem affects all the iQ.

• Like 1

Devon Aygo,

i thought according to you a few weeks ago it was a storm in a tea cup, a few moaning drivers that should be happy to drive what Toyota sell them, just an exaggeration of a problem that did not exist.

4 years and how many was it you had seen with the fault?

Seen anymore of these cars without any real problem in the last few weeks?

george

A bit harsh don't you think !

At no time have I denied an issue can exist, just that Internet forums have a habit of over exaggerating an issue.

Not seen a single one funnily enough, seen plenty of happy IQ drivers though,

• Like 1

Here's what happened to me : I noticed there was an issue with my car when I left it for service at Toyota a few weeks ago.

They gave me an Aygo with the same engine for a day, while my iQ was in service.

And boy, I felt a huge difference !

When I came back, I told the guy at the service desk I was surprised and asked him to confirm that it was the same engine. He said yes, and told me that maybe the difference was due to different gearing ratios in the gearbox... I was a bit skeptical, but I had nothing to reply, so I left.

THEN, I saw this thread.

So today I came back to him and told him "remember ? I told you I was surprised when I drove the Aygo, I think my car has an issue" and he told me "I'm not sure, come back tomorrow for a test drive with the lead technician". So tomorrow I'll drive but I won't leave the place until I have secured an appointment for the fix. I will come with a print of the TSB.

The fact that I felt the difference when I drove the Aygo with the same engine, WITHOUT prior knowledge of this fault, is a definite proof that there is indeed a real loss of power in my car. But this does not mean the problem affects all the iQ.

Bit generalist but the Aygo weighs less than an IQ and is shorter geared as well, if you look at the tech specs the Aygo will feel quicker as it is.

• Like 1

Just a bit of information I think all iq1 and iq2 owners should know about before their warranty runs out.

I recomend that you take your car into Toyota and make the same complaint that I did or you could end up paying out for these repairs at a later date.

I wonder when they rectified the EGR valve fault. i.e. up to which year does this affect?

I think it is June or July 2010...

We have just bought an IQ first reg 20/9/2010

We are waiting for it to be serviced and valeted before we collect it so cant check it has the later catalitic converter.

Is it likely that an IQ registered at this date will have the modified catalitic converter?

We have just bought an IQ first reg 20/9/2010

We are waiting for it to be serviced and valeted before we collect it so cant check it has the later catalitic converter.

Is it likely that an IQ registered at this date will have the modified catalitic converter?

The bulletin from Toyota lists a manufacturing implementation date of June 2010 unfortunately this is a build date not a registration date so it is possible your car was built before the repair was included on the production line.

If you have a chassis number PM and I can check the build date.

• Like 1

Thanks,

PM sent

What a great forum.

I have been active on other forums and look forward to contributing on here. I dont know a great deal about the IQ yet but am learning fast!

Regarding how many IQ's that have been produced with the faulty (badly designed) EGR layout, I don't know,

Regarding how many of these have manifested the fault, I don't know, and I also don't how many are going to develop it into the future as the cars gain higher milages and increase in age.

All I know for sure is, that mine did, and I am truly glad it also resulted in me:

a) Not creating an accident caused through a loss of acceleration at say a roundabout or road junction.

b) Finding out about the issue it on this forum.

b) Getting it modified whilst still under warranty saving me a lot of unplanned expense that was caused because Toyota created and manufactured a car that was not fit for purpose.

c) All this after I purchased fully approved used Toyota car that was fully checked and serviced by Toyota before I took ownership.

Without this forum compensating for Toyota's lack of professionalism I might have found myself in a bit of a mess !

So many thanks again from me to those of you that have posted and reposted various discussions about this EGR issue that enabled me to sucessfully resolve my Safety Issue before my warranty expired.

Positive Regards, Bob Kneale.

As far as the Toyota dealer network is concerned, I have found that the many I have has experience with were all lax, they didn't care about the customer before they got your money and offered very little in the firm of faith in them after from what I saw it was pretty obvious that they didn't really care much about Toyota, as their used stick, although only a few years old, were presented in such a way that I would have expected from 10 year old plus auction cars. As for toyota themselves, they seem as dis interested as their dealer network in their customers and just continue to churn out more and more new cars and accessories, in the hope that people will buy them thinking that their cars and service are second to none. I love my IQ, however, its far from a perfect car and I had to buy from a Vauxhall dealer to get a nice one and decent, non pushy sales service, but have to say, the experience I had buying my Grand Vitara was a much more pleasure able one than the disasterous purchase I made from a Toyota main dealer.

Toyota are going to have to wake up.

Other cars are available.

We got the car into Toyota and told them about the issue, We were armed with a copy of the TSB.

They have agreed to do the work with no argument. The parts will arrive Monday.

Thanks to the forum and especially Devon Aygo for the advice. You have saved me a lot of aggro later.

Hi everyone.

Anyone got Toyota doing the replacement after warranty?

My 1.0 is out of warranty since last year :(

Also, any alternatives? For instance, bypassing EGR? That might need an ECU remap, but... it also may not! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Afonso

Hi everyone.

Also, any alternatives? For instance, bypassing EGR? That might need an ECU remap, but... it also may not! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Afonso

I know a guy who is very clever with exhaust systems. Now if I had him build an aftermarket cat with the egr pipe from the other end would this solve the problem?

• Like 1

Now that's the firsty constructive suggestion... nice going Jezport....:-)

I still wonder..why it would be better than the old model... is there no soot after the catalyst.... The catalyst is not a soot filter...heh... ?

I've been researching this a bit.

EGR's output can simply be covered (engine side), and EGR completely removed.

However, what is the exact problem with the iQ?

- EGR clogged?

- Complete exhaust system clogged?

- Catalyzer issues?

Both EGR and pipes around it can be cleaned up. The catalyzer is able to regenerate itself from time to time.

So, the question is, if we maintain EGR cleaned, is the problem evident?

It's cheaper cleaning the valve and exhaust system once a year than completely replace everything - and after replacement, it still needs maintenance.

On some cars the EGR can be blocked off. On some cars blocking the EGR will cause the engine management light to come on. If the EGR can be blocked on the IQ it may prevent the issue happening. I say may! Because I don't know what exactly causes the loss of power. Is the valve sticking open or closed or are the pipes to the valve blocking or is the cat being blocked?

What is actually causing the issue?

EGR valves can usually be cleaned, as can cats. So it is possible that the loss of power can be avoided by maintenance every 10 to 15000 miles.

Yes UK registered IQ from 1/6/2010 have a 5 year warranty

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links