Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Important If Your Warranty Is About To Run Out

Heathie

Do you have to have had the car serviced by toyota for the full time to keep the warranty valid

No, but you must have the car serviced in accordance with Toyota's instructions using OE parts, the correct oil grades and at a VAT registered garage every 12 months or 10000 miles whichever is sooner and you must be able to prove it with invoices, a stamp ia book is not enough. Also be prepared to for your dealer asking for all of the above before they carry out any warranty repairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I just bought an IQ 1.0 registered in 2009. It's obviously out of warranty now, and I could find no evidence of any recall work being done that I've read about on this forum. Does anyone know if Toyota will still do the satety recall stuff even out of the 3 year warranty?

Thanks

Royston

Yes, if there are any recalls Toyota will do them for you free of charge. check your car here to see if there are any to be completed: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=Owners-Info-Recall

Thanks Devon Aygo, just checked, and it says nothing affected on this car. I was surprised with it being an 09 plate, but good to know.

On the issue of the ERG valve problem, has anyone tried one of these additives such as this cat / exhaust system

cleaner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

Just wondering if that would do the job of cleaning thing out in a fairly cost effective way?

Royston

Thanks Devon Aygo, just checked, and it says nothing affected on this car. I was surprised with it being an 09 plate, but good to know.

The EGR is a 'Technical Service Bulletin' rather than a full blown recall, so wouldn't show up on that check anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have just placed a deposit on an IQ 1.0 registered Dec 2010.

When I test drove the car it seemed fine but you don't ever get a true feeling for the car. I'm worried that it might be using the old EGR setup but it has manufacturers warranty until end Dec. I am purchasing the car from a non-toyota affiliated garage.

Could I just run it into a Toyota dealer under the remaining warranty, despite me being second owner? I noticed a small patch of corrosion on alloy so I assume they would honor replacement here too?

Thanks

As far as I understand it, as the EGR issue is a technical service bulletin rather than a full blown recall, they're unlikely to do anything unless you're actually experiencing the issue; I can only presume it's not a hugely widespread issue hence just being a bulletin.

On the issue of the ERG valve problem, has anyone tried one of these additives such as this cat / exhaust system

cleaner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

Just wondering if that would do the job of cleaning thing out in a fairly cost effective way?

Royston

Hi Royston, I tried a fuel additive when my EGR started playing up and it made no differance in my case after the EGR and all accociated parts were replaced it was like a new car !

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

My IQ is running pretty well, and getting about 48 mpg on average (mostly town driving with odd motorway run). I say pretty well, but there definitely is a feeling of the engine just not being quite smooth, maybe losing a bit of power. I'm wondering if this could be the EGR valve issue.

Do you know if there's a way of cleaning it out rather than having the modification done? Mine is 09 model, out of warranty, so I doubt the Toyota garage would be interested in helping.

Cheers

Royston

Royston,

I do not know if EGR cleaning will help ? (i think in theory it should help) ? others have mentioned this in other posts I don't remember anyone replying that they had actually tried it.

Perhaps a more "experienced" forum member will be able to answer your question ?

Toyota garage may be able now to help but at a cost ?

Hi Bob,

I've seen it mentioned a few times too. I don't want to pay the £1000 that the Toyota garage might want to charge, so an alternative would certainly be interesting, especially in light of comments like 'it felt like a new car' having had the job done.

Has anyone tried an alternative such as cleaning out the pipes? If so how difficult was it?

Thanks

Royston

Hi Royston,

I fully understand your position, I do think that is a disgrace that Toyota have a totally "known" design fault with early IQ's that they have a fix for, yet do not have it as a re call item for all IQ owners irrespective of the age of the car !

I plan to keep my IQ for quite a few years - however !

That's why I will "on principle alone" I will never buy another Toyota !

Kia have some very good cheap reliable cars now now and also have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty so if I was to change my IQ. At the moment KIA might just be my choice !

Even "Top Gear" have chosen a KIA to "thrash to death" around a race circuit these days !

I love my IQ to bits, its great fun, but due to Toyotas terrible customer service and awful dealer network, I too will be buying elsewhere in the future, my personal chouce would be Suzuki for reasons that are important to me, excellent customer service and a helpful and friendly dealer network, the way they should be.

Re knocking left suspension, I test drove a 2010 IQ in Manchester that had a badly knocking left rear suspension, I did not buy the car for various reasons. As I have only driven 4 IQ's before I purchased mine and one had the knocking suspension issue it makes me wonder ! ?

"Even "Top Gear" have chosen a KIA to "thrash to death" around a race circuit these days!"

Kia have recently said they intend to be the Korean VW (including re-aligning their prices) - I've heard that they've withdrawn the Top Gear Kia Cee'd, as 'A Star in a reasonably priced car' doesn't fit with their intention.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links