Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong Fuel - Petrol Into Diesel

Gixxerguy

Has anyone got any experience they'd like to share on this subject? I'm interested in how the situation was tackled and resolved, how well the car recovered, and any tips to assist a recovery. Also what damages were experienced as a result of it.

I put 70ltrs in yesterday, and drove for about 10 miles before the engine cut out. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

If you belong to the AA they offer a service called "Fuel Assist" cost around £180 for a drain, flush and £10 of fresh fuel.

I work in the motor trade and have dealt with many a "mis-fuel".

I cant see you experiencing any long term damage contrary to what a lot of people say.

You may experience a bit of smoke to start with and refill your tank asap after the drain and then put the mishap at the back of your mind.

Thanks for the reply Phil, that's reassuring. Got a local guy coming out to me, and says I should expect a bill around the £100 mark. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

As an update to any unfortunate who finds themselves in the same situation....

Had the petrol removed by a local guy who drained from the bottom of the tank. He also removed the fuel filter and fit a new one, total cost was £110. On re-filling, I filled with the premium grade diesel for it's extra lubricative properties. I also put in Morrisons Oils feul additive for extra engine lubrication.

3 weeks later: The car's running as well as it always did, although the mechanic seems quite sure that the fuel pump will eventually fail. The fuel computer tells me that I'm a few (2-4) mpg less than before the event.

I've got the petrol he took out of the car, but I'm not sure how I'm going to use it. I was thinking of putting small amounts into my other car, but I think that could cause problems down the line. November 5th could be a good day to sell it on cheaply to a local pub with a bonfire to light.

The problem that tends to occur is that the fuel pump is damaged. The diesel acts as a lubricant for the pump and petrol is a good solvent at removing that lubricant. You tend to get debris from the pump then getting to the injectors. That said it isn't a guaranteed issue and I think the rule of thumb is 10% you can get away with.

Fingers crossed that you've got away with it

10% petrol should be fine. I use biodiesel and used to add 10% in winter to make sure that the bio stayed liquid at low temperatures.

Now, even in the summer I still add the 10% as I have a good source of mis-fuel. I measure it to determine the ratio of petrol to diesel and add sufficient of it to the bio to give me the 10% petrol mix.

I get the mis-fuel free as the recovery garages have to pay for disposal otherwise. The mis-fuel is typically 50/50, so I get 20% of free fuel to use. :D

Has anyone got any experience they'd like to share on this subject? I'm interested in how the situation was tackled and resolved, how well the car recovered, and any tips to assist a recovery. Also what damages were experienced as a result of it.

I put 70ltrs in yesterday, and drove for about 10 miles before the engine cut out. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

for sure 70 ltr as full tank is the worst

the petrol has no lubricating properties and most probably such running on petrol might affect both fuel pump plunger with barrel; fuel valves (injectors tips where a needle slides inside the tip case). It is understood both the pump and injector can be repaired but at different cost !!!! that is why you have to drain this petrol from the tank as many as possible and pour in a diesel. you must to darin petrol from the filter and have it primed by lid knob. you do not need to change filter because it is very clean been washed by petrol :)

regards / Igor