Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Fuel Consumption

Dave Evans

hi all i am new to this fantastic site just wanted some advice on avensis t2 petrol i have owned the car for 5 years and i must say i have not been impressed by some things after owning a carina e befor that i had high expectations of the avensis the main problem for me is the fuel consumtion the carina was supurb but not so good on avensis i have tried all the usual things which i have picked up from reading this supurb forum ie plugs air filter bg44k cleaning maf tyre pressures but to no avail is there anything else i could try there are no warning lights on the car runs fine so im stumpted thanks in advance.

What are you actually getting and what year is your car?

A lot depends on how you drive the car though and your style alongside the roads you use will have a massive impact on consumption.

hi all i am new to this fantastic site just wanted some advice on avensis t2 petrol i have owned the car for 5 years and i must say i have not been impressed by some things after owning a carina e befor that i had high expectations of the avensis the main problem for me is the fuel consumtion the carina was supurb but not so good on avensis i have tried all the usual things which i have picked up from reading this supurb forum ie plugs air filter bg44k cleaning maf tyre pressures but to no avail is there anything else i could try there are no warning lights on the car runs fine so im stumpted thanks in advance.

check with throttle and clean it from carbon + check with air filter + sparks condition

no magic is available -- only regular maintenance

i have checked all the above have cleaned throttle body new air filter about 2 months ago have cleaned maf and reset ecu as set out on these supurb forums i have been informed that the fuel filter on the petrol t2 is located in the fuel tank itself and cant be changed dont know if thats right but thats about the only thing that hasnt been changed the car is well looked after thanks again for any suggestions

you should also consider a wear of engine + drive manner

thanks for answers am i correct that the fuel filter is inside the tank and cant be changed i would be interested to know what other owners of simalar avensis get mpg wise thanks again for all replys great forum

no the fuel filter would be a serviceable part, I'm not sure of its location as I own a diesel Avensis and wouldnt want to pass on inaccurate info, but if you haven't changed that, that would be my next step. Not an overly expensive part and one that you might be able to change yourself, if you dont mind getting your hands dirty

if you go to fuelly.com you might be able to find other Avensis's on their, and that might help with you comparing your fuel consumption.

Someone might correct me, but the other extreme would be the injectors, but that would be pricey though

thanks again for all replys i just spoke to a tech at listers toyota in cov and he confirmed that the fuel filter is a non serviceable part as it is inside the tank sounds a bit bonkers to me as it is a changable part on a diesel engine anyway thanks to all again

thanks for answers am i correct that the fuel filter is inside the tank and cant be changed i would be interested to know what other owners of simalar avensis get mpg wise thanks again for all replys great forum

Dave

fuel filter unit consists of: fuel filter itself + fuel level sensor + booster pump and all these parts are belong to one unit servicing about 180k kms. by reaching this milage this unit is subject to change. this unit is located inside the fuel tank under rear passenger seats.

regards / Igor

ok thanks it cant be that then cars only done 59000 miles the car runs as sweet as a nut so dont know if it would with dodgy injectors never burns any oil must just be one of those things thanks again for all help and suggestions

Mine is a 05 1.8 and I happy with the fuel consumption, it does about 38mpg at 75 on a motorway, I have had as much as 45mph on straight back roads at 60 and 33 mpg around town

ok just an update just been to coventry ikea round trip of 30 miles 26 of which is motorway put £8 of unleaded in at £1.36.9 a litre steady 70 mph on mw got home and used most of it the fuel was not from a supermarket buy the way any comments welcome thanks

hi it does about 20 round town and at best 33ish on a motorway

My 1.8 estate is actually about the same as that, 2003 model

ok just an update just been to coventry ikea round trip of 30 miles 26 of which is motorway put £8 of unleaded in at £1.36.9 a litre steady 70 mph on mw got home and used most of it the fuel was not from a supermarket buy the way any comments welcome thanks

Is that brim to brim or did you just add £8 worth of fuel?? Working your MPG out from the onboard computer or just the fuel gauge is very inaccurate.

yes richard it was done with fuel trip and guage it does seem a bit flighty sometimes im going to clean the throttle body again and give it an oil change as it is about due for one might try flushing the engine any advice on the best engine flush to use thanks again for all comments.

Really you need to measure over several fill ups, the more the better to get a good average. Even if you fill to the brim every time there will be small differences in how much petrol there is in the pipe to the tank, even the temperature of the petrol will have a say, fill up in cold weather and the petrol contracts so you actually get more in the tank (for the same money, which is why you should fill up in the morning).

The less petrol you use between fill ups, the more the figures will be skewed by these small but noticeable variations.

can i just thank everybody again for replys i have found this forum very interesting and informative just a footnote i was pulling off of my son in laws drive and the front of the car dips a bit and the onboard comp changed from range of 43 miles to 68 miles could this be a faulty sender unit and i have never changed the cabin filter due to the fact i didnt know there was one until reading these forums if this is dirty can that effect fuel consumption thank you all again for replys

Again, I would say just trust your life on the onboard computer for anything, use it only as a guide. My drive is quite steep and it isnt uncommon for the fuel gauge level to drop a few segments then rise again later. Other times I have added £15 of fuel and the range doesnt change much. Ive just used to the fact that I should get roughly x number of miles to a tank.

The cabin filter wont directly affect mpg, just that when using the fan you will have to turn up the speed to get the same amount of air flow. I think they are about £20 from Mr T and fitting isnt that hard or long if you are happy to do it yourself