Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning Rubber Smell And Lack Of Power.

Paul1965

Hi guy's and girl's.

We use our Toyota Avensis 2.0 Auto to pull our Compass Reflection Merit 430/2.

The van is only 765kg (MIRO) with the (MAW) being 1100kg. We don't carry a great deal in the van, such as a full awning as we have a light weight porch, and there are just the two of us.

The problem I am having is that when we come to a hill, or even a long incline, I use the extra power button which holds the gears for longer to allow greater acceleration. As soon as it tries to climb, there is a very strong smell of burning rubber comes through the vents.

I even noticed it when solo and using it as an engine brake while dropping down into Otley from the Chevin at the weekend.

I have noticed also that the car seems grossly underpowered considering the size of the van. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any idea what could be causing this? The car is a 1999 on an S and is petrol.

All help and/or advice will be gratefully received.

Paul.

Paul,

I don't know the cause - but I experience the same thing with my 1998 (S) 1.8 Auto. It always happens on a particular long incline (about 3/4 of a mile long I would guess) that I occasionally drive up. I used to worry about it but there doesn't seem to be any lasting problem. The burning smell goes away shortly after reaching the top of the slope. By the way I always keep the 'power' button in - don't know if it would happen if I didn't.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

The smell does go away pretty quickly I have noticed. I used to drive everywhere with the power button on but it's not as economical on fuel. I'm wondering if there is some sort of belt driven overdrive and if the belts have become slack like a fan belt does when it slips?

Are you sure it's rubber and not the clutch slipping/burning?

Hi guy's and girl's.

We use our Toyota Avensis 2.0 Auto to pull our Compass Reflection Merit 430/2.

The van is only 765kg (MIRO) with the (MAW) being 1100kg. We don't carry a great deal in the van, such as a full awning as we have a light weight porch, and there are just the two of us.

The problem I am having is that when we come to a hill, or even a long incline, I use the extra power button which holds the gears for longer to allow greater acceleration. As soon as it tries to climb, there is a very strong smell of burning rubber comes through the vents.

I even noticed it when solo and using it as an engine brake while dropping down into Otley from the Chevin at the weekend.

I have noticed also that the car seems grossly underpowered considering the size of the van. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any idea what could be causing this? The car is a 1999 on an S and is petrol.

All help and/or advice will be gratefully received.

Paul.

you have overheated an auto gear using one gears pair. a friction discs could slip leading to the temp increasing and finally giving you this smell. i would recommend to check with performance of an auto transmission and change an A/T oil.

regards / Igor

Thank's for that Igor. It would seem that my only option is to change cars to one that is more suited to towing. I can't really afford costly repairs or overhauls so will have to forego using the caravan for a while until I save up.

Igor,

Does the overheating cause a permanent problem? I experience the same smell sometimes. I change the ATF at the recommended interval and its nice and clean and red. Can you explain what you mean about checking the performance of the auto transmisison?

Dave.

Igor,

Does the overheating cause a permanent problem? I experience the same smell sometimes. I change the ATF at the recommended interval and its nice and clean and red. Can you explain what you mean about checking the performance of the auto transmisison?

Dave.

Dave hi

the matter is what was degree of over heating or what was the time enabling discs slipping. we both understand in order to evaluate it -- one should dismantle an upper gear cover and inspect discs clutches visually but it is impossible unless each clutch is dismantled. A package with discs consists of bronze and steel discs as one by one having engagement both from the ID and OD respectively.you can understand when friction force becomes less due to poor discs contact -- each time when revved under load or so -- the discs will slip. the reason of that is friction surface scratches . the more scratches the less friction effect leading to slipping again ....... finally one will have to repair a full gear set by means of changing all discs responsible for respective gear (1;2;3;4;5;). It is understood each A/gear transmission is designed for definite load. One should not turn river back :)

Another problem might be with discs clutching hydraulic cylinder. When again overheated the O-seal ring start to lose flexibility sealing no those pressure created by inner pump to press all discs ---- as result -- discs slipping again .......

You must be very concerned to safe your A/T and safe your pocket.

As to performance checking --- each gear is normally tested on the stand simulating drive with loading of tail shaft as load from the wheels/ of course each disc might be polished (using grinding paste) removing scratches / /ribs. but it is another story

regards / Igor