Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juddering

tarquin

Today i was at my local Toyota dealer. The service manager came out to me and said he had heard from other dealerships about problems with juddering and that it had been identified as a clutch problem. The reason he stopped me was to ask if i had a problem as he would sort it out for me under warranty. How's that for pro-active approach. 5 stars.i have multi-drive so not effected by it. He said its not a bulletin as its just being reconised. So you guys with judder may want to pursue a clutch

David

I need a dealer like that!!

Saying that, this chap who I phoned yesterday was very happy to fix the EGRV so I could slip that in too.The iQ is one of those cars, because its new technology, there will be problems but no matter how much grief it gives, I will always love the IQ! It's a awesome car, cheap to run/insure/fill up, fun to drive on b-roads and has all the equipment you ever need from a small car and stylish and sporty looks :)

I need a dealer like that!!

Saying that, this chap who I phoned yesterday was very happy to fix the EGRV so I could slip that in too.The iQ is one of those cars, because its new technology, there will be problems but no matter how much grief it gives, I will always love the IQ! It's a awesome car, cheap to run/insure/fill up, fun to drive on b-roads and has all the equipment you ever need from a small car and stylish and sporty looks :)

If you manage to ask about it, what we need to know is the vin number range of affected cars if it is just a batch of badly made clutches, or is it all IQ clutches that could be affected.

If there is not a bulletin out about it yet we may just have to wait to find out.

I wonder if Trabants had as many problems!

John

I'll certainly ask John when it goes in for the warranty work :)

As it is not a recall he may not be able to give specific details as they don't want owners camping outside demanding new clutches when nothing may go wrong with theirs.

Be good to find out though if possible,

John

did he say what the problem with the clutch actualy is?

No he didnt just that its more noticeable at the bite point and in certain gears. I am not sure he knew what the problem with the clutch is All he seemed to know was he was up for changing it if reported

David

Interesting information David.

I have the iQ3 and 6 speed manual and have noticed a judder only a few times so far. I thought it was me being careless but maybe the problem affects the 1.3 engines too. I'll leave it a while and mention it to my dealer and see if they know anything about it.

Cheers

Craig.

Ive also had just a couple of times, usualy in the morning. Just thought it was me still half a sleep.

I would like to for sure as my Warranty runs out at the end of this August.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting information David.

I have the iQ3 and 6 speed manual and have noticed a judder only a few times so far. I thought it was me being careless but maybe the problem affects the 1.3 engines too. I'll leave it a while and mention it to my dealer and see if they know anything about it.

Cheers

Craig.

I just thought the judder I receive sometimes was the anti lock brakes.

• 5 weeks later...

Strange that since this thread was started a month or so back my clutch judder has been getting progressively worse!

It now happens at least a couple of times a week but there is no telling when it is going to happen, Hot or cold, Low or high gears.

I had it this morning pulling away from a roundabout in first and initially I thought I had the car in third, not first and it juddered away from a standing start but it definitely was first and then the change to second was fine.

Also happened yesterday when going into 5th on a dual carriageway.

Going to drop into the dealer one evening and have a chat with the service chap so I'll let you know how I get on. Problem is they could drive the car to test it and the juddering won't happen but I'll see if I can ask them to check with Toyota first and see if there is a known problem about this issue as Tarquin's dealer suggest there is.

Craig.

This would be a great help :)

Mine (touch wood) has disappeared for just now. Sometimes it does the same as you described. Feels like your in 3rd, slight judder and it just fires up all of a sudden. I'm going to be doing another early service on it in the next few months so will see how it performs then. After I done my last service 6,000 miles ago, that problem seemed to go but came back. Not as bad mind you but it was still there. I'm going to be keeping the IQ to a tight service plan now my warranty is almost expired. Probably every 8,000 just to keep it running well as I'm getting 62mpg and have been for a good 2 months now. This might not be a permanent fix but I noticed it just disappeared and isn't as regular now? Everythings always worth a shot, exploring cheaper options first has always been my rule of thumb.

Probably O/Topic, but in my formertive years (There may be some more senior members on the forum who may recall the same thing) There was a car which was reknown for clutch judder and had multitudes of bolt on dampers and rubber eyed straining bars. It was one of the first lateral engined cars, because a good judder left the exhaust system in the road as it snapped at the manifold.

But I cannot remember what the car was, Dont think it was the mini, but one of its big brothers.

Rgds

My warranty runs out in september so definitely need to get on at the dealer, still need to get it in for barke recall aswell!

Also mine judders like no ones business at biting pint, shakes the whole car, does that sound like the reported issue?

That sounds a lot worse than my one but yes, that does sound like the same problem. Might be worth getting that looked at.

Craig.