Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pinking And Misfiring Problem

Brian S

Hi all, Brian from Gateshead here; hope someone can help me with a continuing problem on my Avensis 2.0 petrol (pre-VVTi). The car has covered 174K, I have driven 84K of them myself and have serviced the car religiously, so its in generally good order and performs well, except for a niggling problem with misfire at low speed, and a pinking noise under load; if I ease the pressure on the accelerator the pinking will disappear.

The misfire is at low speed, usually if I let speed drop off then speed up again. This problem seems to disappear when new spark plugs are fitted, however I`m only getting about 8000 miles out of the plugs before the problem reappears. I have changed plug leads and both coil packs. I have noticed that the problem is worse if the engine has got hot in traffic, then it will misfire at just about any speed (upon acceleration that is).

Overall, the performance is good and the fuel consumption is always around 10 miles to the litre.

I wondered if a misfire would cause the Lamda sensor to spot unburned fuel and restrict fuel availability? that seems possible, but what causes the `miss`? and is the pinking unrelated?

Any answers would be most appreciated.

Brian S

Welcome in to the TOC Brian, hope someone can help you sort your problem.

Hi Paul, Thanks mate. I hope someone can give me a lead on whats bugging my Avensis...I can live with it but I`d rather put it right.

Your Corolla looks nice; that would be the six speed box model?

I had a 1986 1.6GTi for quite some time and that was a flying machine; one of those things you wish you had just locked away somewhere.

Moved to Avensis Forum

Hi all, Brian from Gateshead here; hope someone can help me with a continuing problem on my Avensis 2.0 petrol (pre-VVTi). The car has covered 174K, I have driven 84K of them myself and have serviced the car religiously, so its in generally good order and performs well, except for a niggling problem with misfire at low speed, and a pinking noise under load; if I ease the pressure on the accelerator the pinking will disappear.

The misfire is at low speed, usually if I let speed drop off then speed up again. This problem seems to disappear when new spark plugs are fitted, however I`m only getting about 8000 miles out of the plugs before the problem reappears. I have changed plug leads and both coil packs. I have noticed that the problem is worse if the engine has got hot in traffic, then it will misfire at just about any speed (upon acceleration that is).

Overall, the performance is good and the fuel consumption is always around 10 miles to the litre.

I wondered if a misfire would cause the Lamda sensor to spot unburned fuel and restrict fuel availability? that seems possible, but what causes the `miss`? and is the pinking unrelated?

Any answers would be most appreciated.

Brian S

Hi Brian

- petrol quality;

- sparks;

- MAF sersor;

- Throttle

- engine filter

- alternator voltage

Check the above

regards / Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links