Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whiny Diff Bearings - A Cause To Be Concerned?

PuervesGrundy

The transmission in my '00 1.0 VVTi model has been whiny since I first got it about three years and about 15k miles ago. I believe it is the diff bearings and is a common problem that most cars keep going with.

I'm planning on changing the car soon and wonder will it be a stumbling block when I come to sell it?

Regards,

PG

May one respectfully ask how you have come to the conclusion that the 'diff bearings' are whining? There are many bearings in the gearbox/ diff and to isolate a whine is very difficult. Has the gearbox oil ever been changed? and if so with what grade of oil. An oil change to fully synthetic SAE 75/90 GL4 or GL5 could well be beneficial.

Regards Geoff Peace.

May one respectfully ask how you have come to the conclusion that the 'diff bearings' are whining? There are many bearings in the gearbox/ diff and to isolate a whine is very difficult. Has the gearbox oil ever been changed? and if so with what grade of oil. An oil change to fully synthetic SAE 75/90 GL4 or GL5 could well be beneficial.

Hi,

I know it's the bearings because it is a common weak point on this model. I have read some people say before that the whining is a given and that the transmission can go for miles without trouble.

I have thought about doing a gearbox oil change for a while but doubt it would cure the problem as such.

Hi,

I know it's the bearings because it is a common weak point on this model. I have read some people say before that the whining is a given and that the transmission can go for miles without trouble.

I have thought about doing a gearbox oil change for a while but doubt it would cure the problem as such.

If you are changing the car soon then it is probably not worth changing the gearbox oil. If you were keeping it then it would be beneficial. It is very likely that the oil is the original and after a high mileage and twelve years it really has had its life. Many manufacturers now deem their gearboxes to be 'filled for life' to keep service costs down but for long life the oil needs to be changed.

Regards Geoff Peace.

The yaris had a problem with crunchy second gears and grabby reverse when cold...to overcome this some garages replaced the oil with a thinner brand...my advice would be to drain the oil and fill it with the standard grade...after 12 years it's ready for some new and might even be low on oil, you never know...re fil it for the sake of £15.00 and test the difference...you never know it might just cure it.

OK, thanks everybody.

I say I will be changing the car soon, but I somehow can't let go of it! I was always sceptical about these cars before I owned one and now realise why they were so well regarded. It is superb to drive and cheap on fuel, servicing, parts, everything. It is also immensely practical.

Over here in Ireland even the earliest models fetch very good money for what are 12-13 year old cars. I am therefore considering using this to my advantage and maybe buying something a little more sporty but worth less (MG ZR, Punto Sporting etc.) and release a bit of cash that will help me in my student life.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links