Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Feedback On Pedal

AWOL66

When I brake I can feel a slight vibration(or something)in the pedal that feels think i am actually connected to the pads themselves rather than through the hydraulics etc. I have had this on the car since i purchased it so it not an issue with the car i don't believe. It is just that i have never had this feeling with any other car that I have had (mainly Vauxhalls) and wondered if this was the norm. The thinner soles in my shoes the more i feel it. Mine is a 59 plate.

Hope this make some sense. Anyone feel this on theirs ?

May be barking up the wrong tree here [Anchorman or others may suggest alternatives] but could be an effect caused by pad material that has deposited/transferred to the discs.

This was prevalent on early versions of the 4.3 RAV. Toyota started off by replacing discs and pads under warranty but then cut the warranty to something like 18 months from new and wouldn't budge.

The cause of the problem appears to have been with the pad material, not the discs themselves.

A number of members changed the original Toyota pads for more abrasive aftermarket ones and that seemed to cure the problem. Some had to pay for new discs too.

Another issue related to the depositing is corrosion, particularly on inside faces of the discs. I had this but my dealer skimmed the discs and fitted new pads. No depositing or corrosion evident now.

Although Toyota would not admit there was a problem with the original pad material and the pads my dealer fitted were ostensibly the same as the originals, the issue has not re-occurred.

I might be cynical in my thinking but I'm guessing the Toyota replacement pads are made from a revised compound.

Are your discs reasonably shiny or dull and grey?

Suggest you have the discs looked at and, if not scored or corroded and still within thickness limits, you try new pads. If condition of discs warrants it, have them skimmed.

Hope that helps.

Dave, thanks. Discs and pads are original and have not been changed. Car has done 18k so they are due soon i guess. Not corroded or scored. It does sort of feel like the pad is hard or rough as you say so I may try a change of pads first. Thanks for your help.

I doubt the pads or discs would be worn near limits at that mileage. My discs are original all round, albeit with the fronts having been skimmed. The front pads, when replaced at about 40K were about half worn.

Does depend on individual braking style and environmetal conditions of course.

If you do need to replace discs, even the genuine Toyota parts are not expensive, and really easy to fit. Clean all mating surfaces thoroughly, and, if possible, check disc "run-out" with a micrometer dial. (My replacements had zero run-out!).

Chris

Is this a RAV with chrome around the foglights and a funny shaped steering wheel (150 engine)?

Changing the pads might not resolve the problem but its a cheap way of trying.

From memory, the disc minimum thickness is cast on the inside of the disc. theres not that many garages that skim discs as they normally suggest new ones.

Have you tried wearing thicker soled shoes, perhaps like safety boots when driving it? And best to buy a thick pair of those thermal socks as well.

Or try racing down the motorway at night then slam on the brakes whilst no-one behind you. Do that a few times to try a way of sanding down the discs to smooth. I make a point of using the brakes heavily sometimes; but if you do, then when you come to a stop (like at traffic lights or behind the traffic police car) take your foot off the footbrake so the pads can retract slightly from the disc thus allowing even cooling. Using a handbrake at traffic lights is a good habit as it gives your front brakes time to cool off .

If the traffic police question what you were doing, tell them you were trying to catch your pet peregrine falcon after it caught sight of 3 pigeons. You won't get fined but given a medal by the Animal Rights folk (RSPCA). Did you know there are 18 million poxy pigeons here, and not one of them pays Council Tax.

Changing the pads might not resolve the problem but its a cheap way of trying.

From memory, the disc minimum thickness is cast on the inside of the disc. theres not that many garages that skim discs as they normally suggest new ones.

Have you tried wearing thicker soled shoes, perhaps like safety boots when driving it? And best to buy a thick pair of those thermal socks as well.

Or try racing down the motorway at night then slam on the brakes whilst no-one behind you. Do that a few times to try a way of sanding down the discs to smooth. I make a point of using the brakes heavily sometimes; but if you do, then when you come to a stop (like at traffic lights or behind the traffic police car) take your foot off the footbrake so the pads can retract slightly from the disc thus allowing even cooling. Using a handbrake at traffic lights is a good habit as it gives your front brakes time to cool off .

If the traffic police question what you were doing, tell them you were trying to catch your pet peregrine falcon after it caught sight of 3 pigeons. You won't get fined but given a medal by the Animal Rights folk (RSPCA). Did you know there are 18 million poxy pigeons here, and not one of them pays Council Tax.

Yippeeeee !!!!! Bothy IS INDEED back...!!!!!

i had this problem on my older 4.3 rav (07) bad pitting on inside of discs at 20000 miles pads and disc had hardly any wear on them tho ! changed them my self problem was solved pads and discs £120 from my local auto parts!

toyota have change the brake pads?? i think cos on my newer rav 4.3 (10) the alloy wheels get dirty very quickly (brake dust) never had this with the older rav

toyota have change the brake pads?? i think cos on my newer rav 4.3 (10) the alloy wheels get dirty very quickly (brake dust) never had this with the older rav

Spot on!

Did you check pedal pads?This is very sensitive issue dude, You must work on it.

Did you check pedal pads?This is very sensitive issue dude, You must work on it.

Hey, DUDE (!!!!!!!)........wtf are "pedal pads"....? If they are the rubber anti-slip covers on the pedal, they will not cancel out what will more than likely be brake disc runout which will need replacement.

Big Kev.....very dude at guessing......

Kev, didn,t the Beatles make a record called Hey Dude? Whoops sorry Hey Jude.Sorry Man!!!!!!

Regards Dude Clare

Kev, didn,t the Beatles make a record called Hey Dude? Whoops sorry Hey Jude.Sorry Man!!!!!!

Regards Dude Clare

.....and John Lennon recommended that we all sample Scottish sandwiches, Klerr.....

Give Piece a Chance.

Ran out of tablets.....

If the "vibration" is not sorted by attention to discs and pads, is it possible that the 'tremble' you feel at the brake pedal might be the ABS working over-sensitively. (Steel filings/steel debris clinging to an ABS sensor [they are magnetic] can cause this. Remove sensors carefully and clean.)

Chris