Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Buying A Rav4 2008 2.0 Petrol.

gavin77

Hi im going to look at a rav tomorrow its a 2008 2.0 petrol full service history 35000 miles on it .

I would like to know what sort of mpg would i be looking at my driving is mostly motorway miles .

And what sort of problems are associated with this model hopefully none .

I am currently driving avensis 2004 1.8 petrol have it the last 5 years never mist a beat even if it does drink oil like its going out of fashion .

any feed back would be a great help thanks in advance .

gavin

heres the rav

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/(4X4)-NG/6813364782956060/advert?channel=CARS

Looks like a nice one, Gavin! It's got a proper full-size spare on the back--that's a big plus in my book. But it's got a tow bar fitted--let's hope the previous owner didn't put a lot of wear and tear on the drive train by doing a lot of towing. Ask them to change all fluids including gearbox and differential oil.

I've had my petrol Rav4 vvt-1 4.2 with 40k on it since December. No problems whatsoever to report and it's a great drive. HOWEVER, the biggest downside to the petrol Rav is the fuel consumption. I'm hovering around 28mpg from mostly city driving and that's with me driving like an old man.

This newer 4.3 may well be a little more efficient than mine but I wouldn't expect massive leaps in mpg from motorway driving. My experience when I've been on the motorway is that fuel consumption really drops down over 60mph. I guess it's the brick like aerodynamic qualities kicking in!

Hope this helps.

.... My experience when I've been on the motorway is that fuel consumption really drops down over 60mph. I guess it's the brick like aerodynamic qualities kicking in!

Hope this helps.

I found exactly the same thing with my RAV4.2 VVT-i ... creep over about 55-60mph and the economy would plummet.

On my commute from Devon to Surrey (round trip of about 250 miles) I would often fill up in the morning and then have to fill up on the journey home!

If you are after RAV4 AND economy, I think you have to got for Diesel AND a manual gearbox.

Hi im going to look at a rav tomorrow its a 2008 2.0 petrol full service history 35000 miles on it .

I would like to know what sort of mpg would i be looking at my driving is mostly motorway miles .

And what sort of problems are associated with this model hopefully none .

I am currently driving avensis 2004 1.8 petrol have it the last 5 years never mist a beat even if it does drink oil like its going out of fashion .

any feed back would be a great help thanks in advance .

gavin

heres the rav

http://www.carzone.i...rt?channel=CARS

it 's like mine but in black with full size spare wheel. the mileage is very small so have it caught.

the problem is only one -- to feed it with good meal + and change consumables in time -- nothing more.

no no -- treat leather by a wax once a three months. + enjoy it

regards / Igor

Well thanks very much for all the feed back went and had a look at the rav to day yep it was very nice .

But sorry to say to all u loyal rav 4 followers i went and bought another avensis 2009 D4D with 43000 miles on it . :o

So it looks like i wont be in the rav gang but the other half was well impressed with it think she might be trying to get a deal on it trading her 2007 yaris in against it .

Thanks for all the words of wisdom ppl.

To the avensis form with me now :arrow: .

GAVIN.

.... My experience when I've been on the motorway is that fuel consumption really drops down over 60mph. I guess it's the brick like aerodynamic qualities kicking in!

Hope this helps.

I found exactly the same thing with my RAV4.2 VVT-i ... creep over about 55-60mph and the economy would plummet.

On my commute from Devon to Surrey (round trip of about 250 miles) I would often fill up in the morning and then have to fill up on the journey home!

If you are after RAV4 AND economy, I think you have to got for Diesel AND a manual gearbox.

I have to go to Scotland in July - a trip of somewhere between 800 and 1,000 miles depending on how much I do whilst there. I'm actually thinking of hireing a VW golf diesel or similar for the journey cos I recon I could hire and fuel it for not much more than it would cost me to fuel the Rav for the journey!

Hope this helps.

I have to go to Scotland in July - a trip of somewhere between 800 and 1,000 miles depending on how much I do whilst there. I'm actually thinking of hireing a VW golf diesel or similar for the journey cos I recon I could hire and fuel it for not much more than it would cost me to fuel the Rav for the journey!

What blasphemy. Hope it snows on you (don't think just cos it's July, it won't snow)

Dave

PS personally the cost would be worth it, you get to drive a Rav!

I used to drive regularly in my RAV4.2 petrol from Scotland to Devon and back, and Scotland to Berkshire and back, used to be around 900 miles typically and would average say 29mpg.

That would be about £200 in fuel, so if you were to get twice the economy say (which would be pushing it at 60mpg) then you would save £100 - how much would hiring a car for the period of time be? Plus the excess waivers, increased mileage allowance, etc?

Very rare to save money by hiring if you have a car sitting in your driveway available.

You may be better of considering flying and hiring instead of hiring at the start if you do go for that

PS. Only considering fuel costs on own car, not increased tyre use, servicing, etc.

As it happens, I am off to Berkshire tomorrow and even though could take the Swift and get about 50mpg probably, will be taking the RAV4 instead, as even though much less economical, it is a great comfortable drive :thumbsup:

Probably too late for this car for you Gavin, but I picked up my new 2007 4.3 auto petrol RAV on Saturday, using our 2003 4.2 petrol auto as transport. We zeroed the computers, and got an average of 30.1 in the 4.2 and 36.7 in the 4.3. Mixed driving, 36 miles only, and 70ish on the motorway. My wife loves the car, as I am sure yours would, and a big change to the Yaris. Just a thought, but ours is the XT5, and has all the extra's, well worth finding a nice one of these, and the petrol, although a little thirstier, appears to have less problems than the diesel. Good luck anyway.

You might as well be reading the Sport as comparing trip computers. Not very representative of the truth I'm afraid.

As it happens, I am off to Berkshire tomorrow and even though could take the Swift and get about 50mpg probably, will be taking the RAV4 instead, as even though much less economical, it is a great comfortable drive :thumbsup:

What and you didnt stop by for a brew :eek:

Gus

Gus

Not left yet :)

In fact change of plan and now leaving earlyish tomorrow morning to try and get to Winnersh by 3pm!

Gus

Not left yet :)

In fact change of plan and now leaving earlyish tomorrow morning to try and get to Winnersh by 3pm!

What's the opposite of Winnersh....?........Losersh !!!!!! Yeah...ah know...stop drinking....one pint for every year Wee Lizzie has been on t'throne seemed like a good idea.

Heldwith......

No Jubilee celebrations overhere!!!!! TT the most important thing on island at the moment.Am watching at Quarterbridge today as we have (schools) a weeks holiday.

Mc G fan Clare

• 2 weeks later...
would average say 29mpg.

That would be about £200 in fuel, so if you were to get twice the economy say (which would be pushing it at 60mpg) then you would save £100 - how much would hiring a car for the period of time be? Plus the excess waivers, increased mileage allowance, etc?

Actually I achieved that quite easily, I hired a Golf 1.6D Bluemotion for a trip down to Norwich and back which cost me 39 quid for 2 days I did the run with one tank of fuel (Getting 70Mpg on motorway), plus additional miles( 55mpg on country roads), and filled up for 70 quid. . . . If I had dome the Journey in my Nubira 2.0 petrol It would have cost me 150 quid just for the fuel . . . I got about 400 miles from one 65L tank full.

As mine was required for such a short term hire then it saved me money, for a longer term hire than obviously it is going to be less attractive. . . . Of course it was actually hiring this car that finally caused me to get the RAV . . . which is well worth it for the fun alone

I just got a quote from Europcar for 6 day hire of a Golf. Unlimited mileage and they are ok for me to take my dog but they couldn't guarantee a diesel model (they said they would do their best to put a diesel aside for me). Anyway, £150 for the period including collection and delivery up to £250 for £0 insurance excess (this is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned).

So it is starting to look pricey, especially when you factor in that the Golf may end up being a less fuel efficient petrol model.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to mention that I have a 2005 2.0L petrol RAV and have just returned from a 2200 mile trip to Italy and back. I got 47.7 mpg real useage (actual fuel used, not from the computer) with two-up and a shed load of kit in the back. Hope this helps your decision.

Just like to mention that I have a 2005 2.0L petrol RAV and have just returned from a 2200 mile trip to Italy and back. I got 47.7 mpg real useage (actual fuel used, not from the computer) with two-up and a shed load of kit in the back. Hope this helps your decision.

How on earth did you manage that? I managed around 35mpg on a 200 mile trip recently with no load and no major holdups.

Hello,

well being 65-years old helps for a start, because I'm in no hurry. Firstly, on short journeys the first two miles or so is run with the auto-choke on. You'll be doing 20-mpg for that. Secondly, my average speed for the journey was around 45-mph. Thirdly, I 'read the road', plan engine braking rather than wheel braking which uses fuel and back-off the accelerator when I see the need ahead to slow down. Fourthly, I plan ahead to use gravity to get me up the next hill rather than flooring the accelerator.

Have a look at your RAV computer set to real-time mpg. At around 60-mph, on a level road you should see around 55-mpg. Now floor the pedal. Mmmmmm, that's where the juice is going.

OK, to be really honest my every day economy is more like 35- 40-mpg. The Italy trip was mostly Autoroutes at a steady 60-mph in 5th. But it shows what you can save by less haste and a bit of thought. Most people can save 10%+ on the annual fuel bill by following these simple ideas. It just needs discipline......

Hello,

well being 65-years old helps for a start, because I'm in no hurry. Firstly, on short journeys the first two miles or so is run with the auto-choke on. You'll be doing 20-mpg for that. Secondly, my average speed for the journey was around 45-mph. Thirdly, I 'read the road', plan engine braking rather than wheel braking which uses fuel and back-off the accelerator when I see the need ahead to slow down. Fourthly, I plan ahead to use gravity to get me up the next hill rather than flooring the accelerator.

Have a look at your RAV computer set to real-time mpg. At around 60-mph, on a level road you should see around 55-mpg. Now floor the pedal. Mmmmmm, that's where the juice is going.

OK, to be really honest my every day economy is more like 35- 40-mpg. The Italy trip was mostly Autoroutes at a steady 60-mph in 5th. But it shows what you can save by less haste and a bit of thought. Most people can save 10%+ on the annual fuel bill by following these simple ideas. It just needs discipline......

I did everything you describe in my recent 200 mile trip PLUS the rear seats were out with no load in the car and my tyres were inflated to the correct levels and I didn't average more than 35mpg for the journey (brim to brim fill method). If I'd have been driving inefficiently (over 60mph, late brakeing, not feathering the throttle etc) I'd be sub 25mpg for the journey.

In everyday driving I'm just about getting 30mpg now and it would be very easy to see sub 20mpg if I became careless.

So how come my car is so less efficient than your experience? Is there something wrong with mine?

Hello,

I did everything you describe in my recent 200 mile trip PLUS the rear seats were out with no load in the car and my tyres were inflated to the correct levels and I didn't average more than 35mpg for the journey (brim to brim fill method). If I'd have been driving inefficiently (over 60mph, late brakeing, not feathering the throttle etc) I'd be sub 25mpg for the journey.

In everyday driving I'm just about getting 30mpg now and it would be very easy to see sub 20mpg if I became careless.

So how come my car is so less efficient than your experience? Is there something wrong with mine?

Hello,

I can't say specifically what the differences are apart from you carrying half a tank of fuel around for no reason. Another tip I should have mentioned before; only carry enough fuel for the intended journey. But your vehicle does seem to be less fuel efficient. Think about using a lower viscocity oil in the engine I you don't already. It all helps.

Yours is a year 2000, and it would be good if someone with a same year car as yours can offer a comparison. Mine is 2005 with 70K on the clock, and used 209 litres over 2195 miles (10.5 m/litre).

Tony

Just thought. Doesn't a 2000 have a carb rather than injection? Could be a carb problem(?) Also check the airfilter is'nt getting clogged.....

Tony

4.2's are FI not carbs. I can get 30+ out of our 02-reg auto if I'm rediculously cautious with the controls, etc.but the concentration required causes so much stress that it's almost self-defeating.

In any event, life's too short, you can't take it with you & there are more important things to worry about. If anyone is that concerned with fuel economy the best alternative is probably a bicycle. :)