Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Passenger Seatblelt Rattle

DavidAygo

Hi All

After some investigation I have found the source of a very annoying rattle. It is the seat belt 'pivot point' within the B pillar. Any one else have this issue? It is quite loud at times.

I have rattle in the passenger seat (the springs) but not there. Is is a common thing ?

• 1 month later...

Yes it's very loud at times! Mine a 12 plate Aygo fire its bin bk to the dealer twice but it's not rattled 4 them but it does it intermittently over rough road drives me potty!! Defo coming sumwhere near the seatbelt I drove with it plugged in but it still rattled! Anyways its going bk in 2moro 3rd time lucky!!! It's the one day I want it to rattle n I can guarantee its going to behave its self!

I had a similar problem. I had an annoying rattle somewhere in the back at the passenger side (which turned out to be the headlining) but when I got someone else to drive the car and I sat on the back seat I discovered another, very loud intermittent rattle which sounded like something metal on metal inside the rear quarter panel of the car every time i went over a bump...

Turned out it's the lower seat belt mounting of the rear seatbelts. It doesn't have any kind of spring to give it a little squash and the metal bracket at the end of the seatbelt bangs and rattles against the mounting screw, which fits into the bodywork of the car, therefore it tends to magnify the sound. Curiously, it doesn't do it when no-one is sat in the back of the car, presumably because the seatbelts are under tension and the metal bracket is 'tighter' against the mounting screw.

I have thought about jamming a small piece of 'U' shaped foam between the bracket and the screw to stop it wobbling around, hopefully this will cure the problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny,

How did you fix the rooflining rattle? I have the same thing and can see exactly the point of the rattle. It has been to the dealership, but I don't think thye have fixed it. The rooflining still moves. On the driver's side it's fine and fixed firmly in place, however the passenger side is bad. Is the rear window trim easy to remove?

My fix was quite rudimentary David, I used a folded up piece of paper between the join of the vertical plastic B pillar cover and the headlining, tried it in different locations sat in the back whilst someone else drove the car around (lucky them!) The fix is virtually unseen and because the rattle disappeared I had completely forgotten to investigate a more 'permanent' fix until you have just reminded me of it! The piece of paper is still there, and might remain so for some time yet ;)

Oh, and the rear seat belt mounting rattles I have cured by squashing in a small piece of black foam (the 'pinch and pull' cubed type used in camera cases) around the lower mounting screws, which puts just enough pressure on the seat belt brackets to stop them wobbling around but still allows them to rotate :)

David - today I found another potential rattle source that might be worth checking out. As I was washing my car I found the ridiculously long rooftop aerial was loose and rattled around in it's mounting, it simply needed turning to tighten it up. Probably something we never bother to check! :o

Thanks, I will check that, but I think my is quite tight. I looked at the rooflining today and think I may have re-fitted it better, but it is no where near as well seated as the driver's side, so I am bemused. I just hope it rattles less now.

Good luck, but remember, it's not a genuine Toyota unless you have a rattle ;)