Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr 180

4raver

Is it me or is the SR180 the one that gives all the problems and is best avoided...I know it's a super car but there seems to be a lot of complaints about this car on this part of the forum. I drive a 1.4 D4D and are very happy with it! MPG is phenominal and it is nippy and very comfortable....not as much as my 2.2D4D T3X Avensis i just part exchanged. All toyotas have their own bunch of foibles some more than others. My biggest problem to date is the gearing on our new six speed Yaris 1.4D4D...it's wrong, so very wrong that Toyota need to re map the ecu to match the geering. 70 mph on the motorway in sixth gives less mpg than the same speed in fifth gear...less then 60 mpg going to France in sixth...65 mpg plus in fifth coming back...so much difference it is difficult to see why the car needs a sixth gear in the current form of Map.

well i drive a sr180 and so far no probs (touch wood) its not fair to say the sr180 gives all the problems because all cars have issues and problems. its how well you look after them.

I totally agree that many cars gearing is over-high at the moment & there's only one reason for it - to get the manufacturer's overall MPG/CO2 rates down. So we get our cars with gearing which is not actually suited to the bulk of driving we do in the UK. A tall 6th gear is fantastic when you're sat on the autobahn at a steady 80-100 mph, but it's not anywhere near as much use here in the UK. I never ever use 6th gear below 60mph in my Auris, because you can feel & hear that the engine isn't entirely happy at such low revs. It's also true that using more of 5th gear (especially if there are any gradients to climb) can improve the MPG. I've tried different approaches on my commute to work & 6th gear isn't actually needed for that specific journey. Obviously it doesn't include any motorway or dual carriageways.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links