Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2Td 100Series 1998

toyotaman123

hi all new to all this , so please bare with me

i bought a toyota landcruiser 4.2td Amazon automatic

drove it back and it was perfect

had no problems, and the guy i bought it off has spent loads on lservice repairs etc

however a week on, i

the vehicle starts up straight away with out fail, however it started in limp mode, however if you turn the car on and back on it was fine

recently the car is getting worse and taking longer to come out of limp

i have had it checked by a garage who have come back with a acceleration pedal sensor fault. (cost £540) at main dealers

dont mind buying the part . but just a little concerned if it isnt this.. i have to buy the complete unit.. pedal and sensor. has anyone had this fault in the past

any kind of help would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

hi all new to all this , so please bare with me

i bought a toyota landcruiser 4.2td amazon automatic

drove it back and it was perfect

had no problems, and the guy i bought it off has spent loads on lservice repairs etc

however a week on, i

the vehicle starts up straight away with out fail, however it started in limp mode, however if you turn the car on and back on it was fine

recently the car is getting worse and taking longer to come out of limp

i have had it checked by a garage who have come back with a acceleration pedal sensor fault. (cost £540) at main dealers

dont mind buying the part . but just a little concerned if it isnt this.. i have to buy the complete unit.. pedal and sensor. has anyone had this fault in the past

any kind of help would be much appreciated

check with EGR and clean it from deposits restricting gases passing thru

• 8 months later...

Hi

I'm also new to the forum and 100 series cruisers, but ive had similar limp home issues with the same reseting actions as youve had . ive managed to get a code 19 from jumpering the diagnostic connector up above the brake pedal.

Ive been quoted similar prices for a new pedal which nearly put me on my back ( being scottish and tight!)

Any way i resigned myself to the fact i'd need to splash out for a pedal assy fairly soon so i removed the old pedal yesterday for a wee look. the pedal consists of a switch which i stripped and cleaned although it didnt look dirty or corroded. Also on the pedal there is a rotary sensor which i am guessing relates pedal position to the ECU which in turn commands the throttle actuator on the diesel pump to open the throttle a given amount.

Anyway the rotary sensor is factory sealed so i filed off the bead of plastic holding the tin dust cap off then removed the dust cap, this just revealed a PCB board , none of the moving parts were visible. So i filled the entire housing with isopropal alchohol and then functioned the rotary sensor a few times by hand, then i tipped the alcohol out and gave everything a good dry out with a hair dryer .

I fitted the pedal assy back to the car ( without the tin dust cap) and i did 200m today and no limp home mode , but i'll keep you posted on progress.

I am sure the rotary sensor must be used on other toyotas so its worth looking around breakers at the different toyota pedals the sensor is a denso unit .

cheers

greg

Hopefully a nice fix Greg :)

• 7 months later...

Hi, I had a speedo prob with my 1999 Amazon, main dealer had no clue and charge me £300 and did not fix, got a cluster unit from manor auto salvage in North Ireland,replaced and now is perfect, they r on eBay, www.manorautosalvage.com, any spares you need and u pay secure thru Pay Pal, rgds Allan ps they are cheap