Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thieving French Garages

lovegroove

Hello again.

Following on from my rant about rubbish mechanics in Spain, this time it's France. Having just got home from Spain, I now need to give my car a good service before our summer European road trip. My 2004 Rav-4 D4d is about 10k miles overdue the 60k service, as I didn't want and didn't have time to get it done when I was working in Spain.

Just been to my local Toyota garage to get a quote for the service + cam-belt and water pump change. I nearly fainted when they gave me the quote....

€1200 for the cam-belt/water pump and about €450 for the service.

I'm no expert, but this seems ridiculously expensive. Surely I should be able to get this done for less!

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good mechanic around the Chamonix area that could do it for less??

Cheers,

Phil

Hello again.

Following on from my rant about rubbish mechanics in Spain, this time it's France. Having just got home from Spain, I now need to give my car a good service before our summer European road trip. My 2004 Rav-4 D4d is about 10k miles overdue the 60k service, as I didn't want and didn't have time to get it done when I was working in Spain.

Just been to my local Toyota garage to get a quote for the service + cam-belt and water pump change. I nearly fainted when they gave me the quote....

€1200 for the cam-belt/water pump and about €450 for the service.

I'm no expert, but this seems ridiculously expensive. Surely I should be able to get this done for less!

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good mechanic around the Chamonix area that could do it for less??

Cheers,

Phil

Good grief, Phil....would it not be cheaper to travel to That England and get it done....? lol.....(JE NE SAIS PAS OU CHAMONIX RESTE, PAR LA ROUTE.....that means "by the way", in French, by the way.....)

Would imagine cost of Ferry across rules that one out!!!!!

Regards Clare

I've just been emailed the quote and I can see that most of that cost is actually for the parts. they want €800 for the cam-belt kit and €188 for the water pump. I don't buy into the whole 'Genuine Toyota Parts' thing, so I'm going to see if I can find a kit on the internet and get a different garage to fit it.

I don't suppose anyone can point me in the direction of the correct kit for my engine? I've had a quick look and it appears that I can buy a kit with all the stuff for the timing belt and water pump for about £200. I don't want to risk buying the wrong kit, so would be good if there was a site where I can put in my VIN number and be 100% guaranteed to get the correct kit.

I've just been emailed the quote and I can see that most of that cost is actually for the parts. they want €800 for the cam-belt kit and €188 for the water pump. I don't buy into the whole 'Genuine Toyota Parts' thing, so I'm going to see if I can find a kit on the internet and get a different garage to fit it.

I don't suppose anyone can point me in the direction of the correct kit for my engine? I've had a quick look and it appears that I can buy a kit with all the stuff for the timing belt and water pump for about £200. I don't want to risk buying the wrong kit, so would be good if there was a site where I can put in my VIN number and be 100% guaranteed to get the correct kit.

.....TRUST THOSE PRICES SHOULD BE T'OTHER WAY ROUND, OR THEY REALLY ARE HAVING A LAUGH....? Excuse capitals, again....

Cam belt kit is full of tensioners.

I think I've found the correct kit for my engine online for €185. It would be great if someone could confirm that this is the correct kit for my 2004 d4d engine. I asked the garage if they could do the work if i buy the parts and was told that they will only fit 'Genuine Toyota' parts. Twunts!

Is this the correct kit?

http://www.oscaro.com/pompe-a-eau-kit-de-courroie-de-distribution-skf-vkmc-91303-2708823-3096-p

Cheers,

Phil

If it helps 60k service + cambelt change was £481(say €600) at Yorkshire franchised dealer. Add on water pump and labour (if your €188 is correct -say €100 labour) then you are looking at €900

If it helps 60k service + cambelt change was £481(say €600) at Yorkshire franchised dealer. Add on water pump and labour (if your €188 is correct -say €100 labour) then you are looking at €900

....leaving 750 euros from your original French price to get it back to Englandshire (and get ripped off anyway...!!!!)

I've just been out this morning to just about every garage in my area and not a single one would allow me to supply the parts and pay them to fit the kit. The cheapest I've managed to get it down to for a service + timing belt / water pump change is €1200.

I would be tempted to try and do it myself, but all of my tools are in the UK and I don't have access to a pit or lifter to be able to get under the car easily. I think I will probably just have to bite the bullet and fork out to get it done as I really need the car to not breakdown on me when we're off in Eastern Europe this summer. Mind you, it would probably be cheaper to wait and try and find a garage to do it in the Czech Republic or Poland.

Do NOT fit a cheap or pattern-part belt of unknown origin - it just isn't worth it. When it breaks, the figures you quote will look like peanuts!

Chris

I just remembered that the garage that quoted me €1600 is also the one that told me that I needed a new turbo at a cost of €2500 about 18 months ago. Needless to say, I didn't get a new turbo and have since done 16k miles without any turbo problems.

My Rav-4 is certainly turning out to be the most unreliable and costly car that I've ever owned!