Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Noise - Please Help!

RB5-336

Had this problem for a few weeks now - not only is the noise really annoying but so is my wife's complaining!!! It's also getting embarassing.

The brakes are making a squeal noise which stops when the pedal is applied. It is pretty much constant and is a metal-on-metal noise.

The pads and discs are fairly new but are well past the bedding in stage. I've taken the pads out again and applied copper grease to the backs; the callipers seem to be moving freely; there's no stones or anything stuck. I've spent hours stripping them down and putting them back together again.

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any idea what the cause could be??

The car is a 2002 Rav4.

Hello Paul and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Have you been using the guide from the pinned section at the top of the forum page?

If not, see here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86266

Just wondering if you have got the wee stainless 'support plates' in correctly as one has a bent tab that acts as a wear indicator by squealing when in contact with the disc.

Hi RB5, and welcome!

Interesting . . . I've had an annoying squeal from my rear discs, which touching the brake pedal will stop. It then resumes.

Noise is a very high-pitched squeal, almost out of hearing range, and there at low road speeds (c.10-15mph). It's not the same as the pad-wear indicator noise.

The rear pads were recently renewed (genuine Toyota) - no squeal before that - and all the s/steel shims and springs are correctly in place and copper-greased. Calipers look free and ok.

Chris

Had this problem for a few weeks now - not only is the noise really annoying but so is my wife's complaining!!! It's also getting embarassing.

The brakes are making a squeal noise which stops when the pedal is applied. It is pretty much constant and is a metal-on-metal noise.

The pads and discs are fairly new but are well past the bedding in stage. I've taken the pads out again and applied copper grease to the backs; the callipers seem to be moving freely; there's no stones or anything stuck. I've spent hours stripping them down and putting them back together again.

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any idea what the cause could be??

The car is a 2002 Rav4.

Have you used all the front anti squeal shims/plates and are they facing the correct way ?

I believe each front pad should have two anti squeal plates between the pad and the calliper.

The inside plate has holes in it, this plate should be covered both sides in a very fine smear of brake grease.

I also coat the interface between the caliper and last anti squal shim with a smeal of grease.

Both plates on every pad have arrows showing correct orientation ?

Front brake components.pdf

Ooops answered an old post about front pads earlier !!!

Similar question though re rear brakes, did you use brake grease on the inner shim ?

Also I have found the rear calliper sliding pins are very prone to seize/stick.

It might be an idea to remove the rear callipers and take out the pins which have dust boots at each end and lubricate them.

Components.pdf

• 11 years later...

2018 Rav 4 started making grinding brake noises last fall.  No problem before then.  Dealership said there is no problem with the brakes, but this is a Rav problem and there is no fix.  This is an awful noise.  There must be a fix.  Will not purchase another Rav 4 unless this can be fixed.  Help

7 hours ago, Redmond said:

2018 Rav 4 started making grinding brake noises last fall.  No problem before then.  Dealership said there is no problem with the brakes, but this is a Rav problem and there is no fix.  This is an awful noise.  There must be a fix.  Will not purchase another Rav 4 unless this can be fixed.  Help

This is an 11 year old thread Di - it would probably have been better to start a new one of your own ...

Brake discs are prone to light surface corrosion that results in a grinding noise when you set off. The 'solution' is to brake firmly (when it is safe to do so) to rub-off the surface rust. If the car is used regularly, and the brakes are used relatively firmly on occasion, you may never notice this 'feature'. If the car is used only occasionally the noise is more likely to be evident.

(I often get such noises the morning after I have jet-washed the car - they disappear after about a mile.)

• Like 1

I make a point of applying the brakes firmly at least once a trip to clear the rust off the discs. The app does moan that I shouldn't brake heavily though 🙄

Other that was has already being mentioned, brake/pad squeal can be caused because of the quality and/or the manufacturer of the material, only use high end materials.  Also be sure the pads are free in the callipers, sometimes just a quick grind/file on the top and bottom edges is needed. Remember that grease or Copperslip holds dirt and debris so don't overdo.  

My brakes make some noise on mornings or after rain, but sound goes away after driving a little bit.