Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Clean?

chezwot

Has anyone a suggestion how to clean my engine, I have both a pressure washer and a steam cleaner but I am afraid to use either in case the water/ moisture gets into the electrics. Someone suggested that providing I keep the engine running either would be OK, comments appreciated.

I wouldn't advise a pressure washer. Some might say it's ok as long as you tin-foil electrics/plugs/battery.

Autoglym engine & machine cleaner is good, combined with a detailing brush (or any line paint brush if budget it tight), spray it on almost everything, then brush it over the surfaces, around the engine block and into the tight spaces (air filter box is tight but with a brush is easy) Then get a microfibre cloth and warm clean water and rise it all gently.

You can either call it a day at that or if you would like a shine, dab on some Autoglym rubber and plastic cleaner. This will give it a nice freshly cleaned look and will protect the engine to a certain degree. I would also advise WD40 on all clips, metal lugs and screws. This way they won't rust as bad in the future.

In regards to pressure washing - it isn't really advised as the pressure of the jet can get into spaces that should be dry. Some people might find them ok but I never used this technique when I detailed cars for a living.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you Aaron, I appreciate your advice.

Not a problem. Glad to be of help :)

Must add my thanks too Aaron. Now I've got something else to keep clean on the car. My wife thinks I'm nuts! Well, I am, but I think keeping the engine bay clean is a good idea for many reasons, mostly to spot leaks or rust/other damage. Like recently I had to drive through 2 flooded roads. Driving on the crown of it, the water slowed the car down enough I had to change down to first gear, that was an unwanted surprise. Next time I'm just gonna turn it around and go another way. This road floods all too regular. So, there's muck around the bottom of the engine bay to clean up.

Must add my thanks too Aaron. Now I've got something else to keep clean on the car. My wife thinks I'm nuts! Well, I am, but I think keeping the engine bay clean is a good idea for many reasons, mostly to spot leaks or rust/other damage. Like recently I had to drive through 2 flooded roads. Driving on the crown of it, the water slowed the car down enough I had to change down to first gear, that was an unwanted surprise. Next time I'm just gonna turn it around and go another way. This road floods all too regular. So, there's muck around the bottom of the engine bay to clean up.

No problem Bob. In my opinion and experience, your better taking your time when cleaning/detailing the engine or car in that fact. Im doing a oil change today so gives you plenty of opportunity to get all the dirt out underneath the carriage and engine.

After you've completed the clean, put some protection or good quality polish around the front Shell where the catchs for your bonnet hook is.. The paintwork all the way at the front under the hood. Reason I do that is that gets clogged up with grease and heavily soiled. You'll protect it much better, especially if your planning on keeping the IQ as it rusts on many cars of what I've seen.