Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hsd T-Spirit Review - Thoughts Of A New Owner

Ten Ninety

Hello

I found the opinions shared on these forums to be very useful when weighing up whether to go for a 2010 Auris HSD T-Spirit. In the end, I did go for it and now that I've owned the car for a couple of weeks, here's my own 'review' of the car which sums up what I think of it so far:

http://colonelmullet...d-t-spirit.html

I hope it may be of some use if you're currently thinking about one of these cars. However, if tediously self-important verbosity, juvenile attempts at 'humour' and unnecessarily-contentious opinion-spouting aren't really your thing, here's a brief summary of the review to save you having to read it:

• Auris sounds a bit like ***** if you say it quickly. Har de ha ha ha.
  • Milkfloat mode is awesome
  • It doesn't cost much more than a diesel and is better in every way possible
  • It can go quickly and handles well but to do so is to miss the point spectacularly
  • It's so stress-free in traffic, I actually look forward to congestion
  • The interior is nice but maybe not as long-lasting as my old Corolla
  • Journalists are clueless muppets when it comes to mpg; I can get 70+ with a little effort.
  • I prefer it to the Prius because it hasn't got manky velour seats, it's quieter inside and it doesn't have that image.
  • Overall, it's a fabulous piece of engineering and I love it

I think it's a great shame that these cars are routinely under-rated (and often derided) by the motoring press in this country; my own previous ignorance and prejudice against hybrid technology was undoubtedly fuelled by what I had read in the magazines. However, that does seem to have one advantage - Auris HSDs don't seem to be that popular in the used-car market with everyone scrabbling for their dirty little diesels instead. I paid a little over £13k for my T-Spirit which isn't exactly bargain-basement territory but for a Toyota Approved car with 13,000 miles and a free 2-year warranty extension (taking it to 2017) I didn't think it was a desperately bad deal.

It will be a 'long-termer' so who knows, perhaps I may become less-enamoured with it over time. Right now though, I'm as happy as a doubly-endowed canine.

Great review - pretty much matches my thoughts only much more eloquently put!

Hi Ten Ninety, welcome again to ToC.

Nice blog post - agree with all of it and loved your similes.

I take such delight in a car which offers smoothness in the driving experience

If you are like me, I don't think you will get tired of the smoothness, or in fact, any of the other nice features you mentioned. I have had hybrids for the last 5 years, and I still get that buzz every time I drive my car.

Thanks again for a great review of the Auris and continue to enjoy it.

It's so stress-free in traffic, I actually look forward to congestion

It's great isn't it?

I used to get agitated being stuck in traffic burning all that fuel getting nowhere.

Now it isn't a problem.

It is so relaxing being stuck in traffic in a Toyota Hybrid.

Excellent, even-handed and entertaining piece.

Like you, I couldn't live with the awful faux-Alcantara seats of the Prius T-Spirit and ended up spec-ing the Safety Pack just to get factory-fitted cow (the radar cruise being a bonus).

Having had an Auris HSD on long term loan while waiting for my tsunami-delayed Prius to land, I now regret choosing the latter rather than the former. When the Prius goes back, it will almost certainly be replaced by an Auris — the forthcoming facelift looks great.

...it will almost certainly be replaced by an Auris — the forthcoming facelift looks great.

Have you got any links? The only face-lift I can find is the current one.

Cheers

Cool, thanks. Looks like something my missis may be interested in, in a couple of years.

The middle link is the current facelift though ;-) That back-end does look so fugly!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed this post-very entertaining.

70+ mpg with'very little effort.'

Oh how we laughed.

• 2 weeks later...

Auris HSDs don't seem to be that popular

Well, I did a 160 mile trip yesterday from South Derbyshire over high peak and above Manchester and back for a school run and spotted 19!

Since I have been researching Hybrids I have been actively looking out for Prius, Auris, 3008 and Insight etc... And was amazed how many I spotted.

I had a chat with my neighbour the other week who works at Toyota (Derby plant home of Auris) and he said the company offers a really good leasing price on the HSD for its employees, so I would expect a good number to appear on the used marked @ 12 or 24mths when these employees change them.

Excellent review 10-90. Loved the colourful idioms. Nice touch of domestic violence to the press put downs about HSD.

Your point is well made about journalists. They absolutely should make a real effort to achieve economy, just like they make a real effort to achieve 0-60 figures. The sad reality is that most of them haven't learned how and couldn't be bothered.

Like you I have seen over 80MPG on the trip meter - on my Prius. In the real world. With just a little effort to drive economically and not like a granny. (One of which trips included burning off a BMW 3 series diesel at the lights to demonstrate the kickass torque from the electric motor. Blatant and unnecessary acceleration - price 1MPG on the trip. The look of incredulity on the other driver's face - priceless.) Proves that the 72 MPG is entirely achievable.

I too am a petrol head at heart and hate diesel with DPF, noise, clatter, fumes and smell. I've given diesel a try - had two: one BMW 530D, one a Jaguar S-Type 2.7D. Not exactly bottom of the basement diesels. Even relatively quiet and smooth (when sitting in the car). But, at the end of the day, hassles with DPF, clatter when idling, turbo lag and smell just made me decide it wasn't worth it. And don't get me started on noisy stop-start mechanisms!

Like other posters with Toyota hybrids I too notice the stress-free congestion driving and the ability to whisper along in stop-start traffic. Fantastic.

To be truthful I am still enough of a petrol head to hanker on occasion after something with a bit more performance and clout.... less of the sedate cruising, more of the Auto Express... What Car? Well a Fisker Karma is way out of my Car league, ditto the Jaguar CX-75. So a big engined petrol piece of Top Gear might find its way onto my driveway sometime... but until then I shall enjoy HSD motoring to the Max Power.

Wish the folding mirrors were automatic on engine start/stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. If i'm in a spirited mood i'm getting between 53 and 56mpg on a mix of A and B roads but driving sensibly i'm getting mid 60's. If I really try then I can routinely get 75mpg around the city.

Cracking car, great style to it, amazing to drive and ridiculously cheap to run compared to all of my previous cars.

Glad to see another happy Auris HSD owner :drunk:

traffic jam indeed isn't a worry any more, i don't know what the fuss is all about :D