Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.0Vvti Chugging In Certain Weathers

Predazord

Hi guys,

I really hope you can help...

My Avensis Estate 2.0vvti 54 plate dont 57k has a serious chugging issue when the weather is either cold, hot or wet.

Its like it doesnt want to accelerate and I have to rev through it, like its pushing a blockage through...

I had been advised by a friend that the engine is prone to getting choked up and to take the engine to the rev limiter to clear it through, which seemed to briefly help but didnt really make a huge difference.

The car has a full Toyota service history and isnt due another service until September so I ma keen to try and sort this myself before resorting to a garage.

It has also been suggested to me that changing the spark plugs might cure the issue??

I have also tried injector cleaner additives and that hasnt made a difference either.

If anyone can suggest some help I would greatly appreciate it??

Have you tried removing the air filter and see if that makes any difference?

It does sound if it is running rich but I would have thought the engine sensors would have tried to sort that out.

There is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in the air intake which may need cleaning and you will find instructions for this posted on here.

Read this first as it can easily be damaged.

Take a spark plug out and see if it has a very fine centre electrode,If not then you have the wrong plugs in.

All the best with this and hope it helps

Del

PS forgot to say welcome to the club and there are more learned members throughout the club than I and I am sure they will put you on the right path.Also note that your engine is fitted in other models so scout around their pages

Thanks Del, I appreciate the advice. Thanks for taking the time to help.

And the warm welcome.

It's worth taking a look at the plugs. If you do, take a photo of one and post it here. When were the plugs last changed?

Hi Leon,

I am not too sure when tyhe plugs were last changed. The car has had 7 main dealer services, every 12 months like clockwork (I bought the car in December 2011).

I thought plugs would have been changed at the 6 year service if the first owner was such a stickler for detail. I suppose it is possible he held off changing them due to the low mileage.

I havent taken a spark plug out before, but if I can, I will extract one and take a picture and post on here for you to see.

Could also be the HT leads, they don't go very often but do occasionally go and are a pain to figure out if they are partially working. Had it on another car and even the main dealers could not diagnose it. If you can borrow a set, it might be worth swapping them out to see if things improve.

It's extremely easy, you'll be fine. When you put the plug back in do not over tighten it, you don't need to do them up ridiculously tight.

What would be the syptoms of the Mass airflow meter going faulty?

I have been advised that this could be my issue. Spark plugs apparently shouldnt be effected by the weather the Mass airflow meter would???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links