Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Camera For Rav4.3 Xt5

SteveR.

I have only just realised that retro-fitting a reversing camera to a 2006 model RAV4.3 XT5 should be very cheap and easy. I have read a few postings on here, and I have located the S7 connector and confirmed that the head unit is camera ready (by shorting pins 1 & 3 and selecting reverse). I just need a suitable camera now, and I should be away.

Most of the postings I read were a few years old, so camera availability has (I guess) probably moved on a bit. I found this item on eBay, which fits in place of one of the numberplate lights. It sounds like it ticks all the boxes (CCD, NTSC). There's no mention of the models of RAV4 that it fits though, and no dimensions that I can check. Does anyone happen to have tried this unit? I note that it boasts a higher number of TV lines than most (520 vs 420). Is this likely to Just Work on the XT5's head unit, or is its image likely to be cropped (or not display at all)?

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just realised that retro-fitting a reversing camera to a 2006 model RAV4.3 XT5 should be very cheap and easy. I have read a few postings on here, and I have located the S7 connector and confirmed that the head unit is camera ready (by shorting pins 1 & 3 and selecting reverse). I just need a suitable camera now, and I should be away.

Most of the postings I read were a few years old, so camera availability has (I guess) probably moved on a bit. I found this item on eBay, which fits in place of one of the numberplate lights. It sounds like it ticks all the boxes (CCD, NTSC). There's no mention of the models of RAV4 that it fits though, and no dimensions that I can check. Does anyone happen to have tried this unit? I note that it boasts a higher number of TV lines than most (520 vs 420). Is this likely to Just Work on the XT5's head unit, or is its image likely to be cropped (or not display at all)?

Hi

I have just completed the camera on my XT5.

It may be worth remembering that without the spare wheel carrier the number plate is well above the bumper and looks down on it.

With the spare wheel the number plate is lower than the bumper and you will be looking down from that point. I do not know if the 170 degs. will give you sufficient high view.

S7 is in the door and if you go away from that you have to run the cables from there.

For convienience I mounted the camera in the door. If you open the door, lie down on the floor and look up. The door is hollow and the outer skin is plastic. Behind this the door is steel. If you look you will see an existing rubber grommet in the steel skin. S7 is directly behind this grommet. I mounted the camera in the plastic skin and passed the wire through the grommet.

I just used a basic round camera off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c5cedad04

This appears to work fine

Brian

Hi, and thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really given much thought to the cable routing, but I don't think it should be much of a problem - should be relatively easy to route out through the bumper on the hinge side, then into the door alongside the existing loom, I would have thought. The plate height is another very good point. I don't know which model or versions of the RAV4 the number plate light cameras are designed for. Presumably if they're designed for the RAV4.3s with door-mounted wheels then the angle of view must work well enough, but it's very difficult to be sure. I've mailed two of the Hong Kong suppliers and had no reply from either (if indeed they're not one and the same person...).

I'm reluctant to drill the car if there's another option available, but I'm also reluctant to buy something that might simply not fit. I had been hoping to go for the CCD ones but none of those seem to quote sizes (and, as I said, no replies when I've asked). One or two of the CMOS types quote dimensions that match those of my number plate light, so perhaps I'll go for one of those. The sensitivity in low light won't be as good, apparently, and it won't have the benefit of LEDs like yours does.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on whether a non-illuminated CMOS-based camera would be OK?

How did you make the connection to the S7 socket, by the way - did you make your own plug somehow?

How did you make the connection to the S7 socket, by the way - did you make your own plug somehow?

I cheated. I have not used the S7 on my RAV but at time of trying I cut the wires behind and connected direct. You can use Scotch-clips as well if you do not want to cut the wires.

On my RAV the wires did not go anywhere and in the end I had to fit new wires through out.

OK, thanks. My camera arrived in today's post, so I'll be taking a look soon. Unfortunately I've got quite a lot on this weekend so it might have to wait until Monday

(Sorry for the delay in replying, BTW - I didn't get a notification of a posting to the thread).

Had a quick try with it yesterday, but no success so far. The number plate light module is the right size and replaces the standard one nicely. There are no instructions with it, but from what I've read elsewhere in this forum I'm assuming the following:

• The lead with a red and a black wire are power to the camera; red should go to +12V, black to earth.
  • The lead with a yellow video-type plug is the camera feed; the centre pin is V+ and should go to pin 2 on socket S7, with the sheath being V- and going to pin 1 on S7.

Is that correct, or have I misunderstood?

I got the message about checking surroundings, and I get a warning if the rear door is open, but no video.

Is there a way to check whether the camera is a dud?

Had a quick try with it yesterday, but no success so far. The number plate light module is the right size and replaces the standard one nicely. There are no instructions with it, but from what I've read elsewhere in this forum I'm assuming the following:

• The lead with a red and a black wire are power to the camera; red should go to +12V, black to earth.
  • The lead with a yellow video-type plug is the camera feed; the centre pin is V+ and should go to pin 2 on socket S7, with the sheath being V- and going to pin 1 on S7.

Is that correct, or have I misunderstood?

I got the message about checking surroundings, and I get a warning if the rear door is open, but no video.

Is there a way to check whether the camera is a dud?

Do not know if it will help but, in previous offerings members have always connected pin 1 and pin 3 (S7) together and to ground.

I did on mine and it works.

Ah, right, I think I missed that bit. Will give it a try - thanks.

Tried linking P1 to P3 and to ground, but no change - I still get the "check surroundings" warning and the door open warning, but no video. To recap, that gives me:

• Centre pin of video out to Pin2
  • Outer sheath of video to Pin1
  • Pin1 to Pin3; both also to ground

Tried linking P1 to P3 and to ground, but no change - I still get the "check surroundings" warning and the door open warning, but no video. To recap, that gives me:

• Centre pin of video out to Pin2
  • Outer sheath of video to Pin1
  • Pin1 to Pin3; both also to ground

The final wire is the reverse feed to the HU. If the others are present and correct, you would assume that it is wired also, but it does go to a different plug than the rest.(Red wire, 5 pin plug, right on the corner on the B9004)

At one point I proved the camera by connecting to a small portable tv using the extension that came with the camera.

Not sure I understand. I didn't think it was necessary to go anywhere near the Head Unit directly, just to plug in to the pins on S7. I haven't touched the Head Unit at all. I'm assuming that it is determining Reverse status correctly because I'm getting the appropriate warning messages.

Sorry if I'm being dense.

I've checked my TV and it seems to have a Video In socket that matches the Video Out plug on the camera lead, so I think I'll try whipping the unit out and connecting it to the TV (if I can find a suitable 12V power pack - don't fancy lugging a car Battery up to the telly!).

I'm collecting a trailer tomorrow, and the tow ball on my RAV is really close to the spare wheel carrier. Being able to see it myself instead of relying on someone else is one of the great advantages I imagined with a reversing camera, so I was really hoping to have it up and running in time. I should have known that quick and simple installations are about as common as rocking-horse dung! Ah well...

Having connected the unit to my TV, I can see that the camera definitely works. So it should be "just" a matter of sorting out the connections.

One thought: the specs for the camera nclude the boast "520TV lines (Normal CMOS/CCD/CMD camera is 420 TV Lines)". Those extra lines aren't likely to cause compatibility problems with the B9004 are they? My TV is also a flat-screen device - it's a plasma unit rather than LCD like the B9004 but I guess all flat screen devices (as opposed to CRTs) have similar issues with resolutions etc...

I've now managed to remove the Head Unit to check connections there. Pins 21-24 are populated, and they seem to be connected to the S7 pins as described by shcm and not as described in the PDF referenced elsewhere. Pin 5 on the 5-pin plug is also populated (red wire) and, as I said, the Head Unit does display the warning messages when reverse is selected, so clearly it is detecting reverse. S7 pin 4 (E54 pin 24) provides 6V+ when reverse is selected (and keeps it high for about 60 seconds after reverse is de-selected, for some reason).

So everything seems to be as it should, except that the video output from my camera is not displayed along with the "Check surroundings" warning. As I have confirmed that the camera is indeed sending a video signal, I'm baffled by this.

One thing that I didn't think to check while I had the Head Unit out is whether the P5 on the 5-pin socket is indeed set to 12V+ when reverse is selected. I'll pull it out again and check it, but it will have to wait for a few days now, unfortunately.

Steve, I was trying to let this one sort itself, 'cause to be honest, it's got a bit dull for me repeating the same thing over and over again after several years.

Anyway, I can read you post several ways, so, can you just confirm that when you believe you have the camera in place, all wired up correctly and select reverse, you are saying you still see the "check surroundings" message, but an otherwise blank screen?

Or do you mean you've only seen "check surroundings" when you've shorted the V- and CGND together and not with the camera attached?

By asking you this, I'm just trying to confirm that you are still activating the cam input, when the cam is connected to HU.

Hi, and thanks for taking the trouble to respond in this thread.

I certainly see the "Check surroundings" message and an otherwise blank screen when reverse is selected. I've done so much poking around with it now that I couldn't confidently swear whether it required V- and CGND to be connected in order to get that. I'll check it and get back to you, probably tomorrow. If you can think of anything else you'd like me to check as an aid to diagnosis, please shout.

OK, I've just been poking around again and trying to record everything logically.

1. It seems that all I need in order to get the "Check surroundings" message (while in reverse gear) is to connect S7 Pin1 (which I understand to be V-) to the car's earth. No link to Pin3 (CGND) is required - the message appears whether it is linked or not.
  2. When the camera video is connected to S7 (inner pin of video to Pin2, outer contact to Pin1) and the camera power supply is connected (red to a convenient +12V, black to the car's earth) I also get the message. It seems that the video lead's outer contact has continuity with the black power lead, so this is effectively the same as (1) above.

Other than the message, the screen is blank.

Does this help at all?

Hi

It may be worth remembering that without the spare wheel carrier the number plate is well above the bumper and looks down on it.

With the spare wheel the number plate is lower than the bumper and you will be looking down from that point. I do not know if the 170 degs. will give you sufficient high view.

S7 is in the door and if you go away from that you have to run the cables from there.

For convienience I mounted the camera in the door. If you open the door, lie down on the floor and look up. The door is hollow and the outer skin is plastic. Behind this the door is steel. If you look you will see an existing rubber grommet in the steel skin. S7 is directly behind this grommet. I mounted the camera in the plastic skin and passed the wire through the grommet.

I just used a basic round camera off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c5cedad04

This appears to work fine

Brian

this one you need dig a big hole on your car.

i installed this one.

http://www.autoadas.com/universal-car-rear-view-camera-with-led-for-night-vision-p-329.html

this one you need dig a big hole on your car.

Thanks, but I already have a camera - it's moulded into a replacement number plate light, so no hole is required at all. It works just fine when connected to my TV, but I've so far had no success in getting the car's monitor to display the video.

seems that the video lead's outer contact has continuity with the black power lead, so this is effectively the same as (1) above.

Good, that's what I'd expect.

Do you have anything else with a composite video output? e.g. like an old analogue tape video camera? When I messed around with this first, some years ago, I had a laptop with, as well as normal vga output, a comp video output, which was useful.

b9004-ntsc.jpg

You'll need a bit of "hacked" lead, either photo plug or socket into the door connector.

If it were me, I'd have had a 'scope on the head end connector by now, looking for the video waveform. Unfortuately, most don't have that and have to mess about like this.

Alternatively disconnect the head end connector and just buzz the video connection through with a DVM on ohms, just to make sure the coax inner is OK. (The braid sounds like it is OK). You'd effectively need to lengthen one of the probe leads with a few feet of wire. With everything disconnected, even a bulb and Battery would do it.

I'm not sure whether I have anything else with composite video output. My laptop has an S-Video output socket, which I gather is analogue. Not sure whether I have a lead for it, but I could probably cobble something together if it would help. I don't know which pins would have to connect to where though.

I certainly don't have an oscilloscope, or the skills to use one. Assuming DVM is Digital Volt Meter I don't have one of those either, as such. I have an analogue multimeter; I understand that there are some applications for which analogue vs. digital meters makes a significant difference, but hopefully this isn't one of them. I had already used it to test continuity between the pins on the rear-door socket and the head unit plug, and found that they are connected as per your descriptions in a previous thread, i.e. :

• S7 Pin1 -> HU Pin23 [V-]
  • S7 Pin2 -> HU Pin22 [V+]
  • S7 Pin3 -> HU Pin21 [CGND]
  • S7 Pin4 -> HU Pin24 [CA+]

... but I'm afraid I don't know where to go from here.