Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Detected In Vehicle - While Driving

Mountie

I've owned this vehicle for 2 years from new. It has been regularly serviced at 10,000 mile intervals, but within the past 4 weeks or so, while driving, I've been getting an intermittent "KEY DETECTED IN VEHICLE" message on the dash, the master warning light comes on (triangle with '!' inside), there's a beep, the doors unlock, the internal lights come on and go out. After a couple of minutes the message and master warning light goes out. It's an estate and I've checked that all 5 doors are properly closed. I have experimented by placing the smart entry key fob in the cup holder rather than keeping it in my pocket but it still occurs. It seems to coincide with driving uphill, but even so all doors are securely closed. Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions how to resolve it?

I normally keep my key in a trouser pocket and have only experienced similar things once - that was when my wife had left her handbag, containing the second key, underneath the passenger seat without my knowledge!

Mike

• 5 years later...
On 08/06/2012 at 10:09 AM, Mountie said:

Hi Paul, have you managed to solve this issue?

I have got 2010 Avensis estate as well, and since last week I am having exactly the same issue

Might be the Battery in your keys. I take it you have two sets of main keys? Try using the other one, see if it still happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xzirri said:

Might be the battery in your keys. I take it you have two sets of main keys? Try using the other one, see if it still happens.

You might be correct. I do have 2 sets, although the car is with toyota since yesterday and typically the error is not showing up with them, luckily I have made a short video as well as took a picture whilst the error appeared. 

I will update here the outcome. 

IMAG4816.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi I'm new here. Having the same key in vehicle detected. We think it's the tailgate sensor anyone come to the same conclusion or have a solution It's driving us mad. 

In my car Toyota dealer had to change the BCU (body control unit) to get rid of this issue. 

Since then that never appeared again. 

• 11 months later...

I have just started having the same problem too.  Toyota 4 runner 2016, bought new, serviced as manual states too.  I just replaced the batteries less than a year ago, but realize to that it could be getting pressed against something in my purse?  I'm going to use the other fob the next few days to see if this could be a possible solution before seeking the dealer with an expense!  'll message back my discoveries.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I've just started getting this issue on my 2009 avensis estate diesel auto. 

Also getting 'tailgate open' warning, when it is firmly shut. 

Both warning began about a week ago and happened only occasionally but as of today it's constant - both happen every second we're driving and the central locking occasionally activates.

Did anyone manage to successfully trace this to a tailgate sensor or something other than the BCU?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi I have 60 plate Toyota t4 same problem while I'm driving hazard flashing beep door lock on lock tailgate inside light warning I'm new here anybody cn tel pls whts the problem it is thanks

On 6/21/2018 at 12:34 PM, zippo876 said:

In my car Toyota dealer had to change the BCU (body control unit) to get rid of this issue. 

Since then that never appeared again. 

Dis the dealer charge anything

I had this same issue just over a year ago. Eventually figured that it triggered every time we turned a 90 degree right. Until we could consistently reproduce this fault It drove me nuts for a few weeks. Had an electrician look at it. Turned out to be the boot lock. Replaced it all sorted. Think the whole thing including labour was less than £100. 

Just to add to this. After googling this to death I came across the suggestion it was the BCU... that seemed to be the dealer solution... the real culprit was the boot lock which has some electrical stuff going on in it which gets faulty I guess through wear and tear. 

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem, everytime i turned right the warning came on (avensis 2010 estate) Replaced the boot lock £25 problem seems to be resolved.

• 1 year later...

Toyota 4Runner Lmt. 2016:  "Key detected in vehicle" dashboard alert message appeared while driving. We called the Toyota Dealership and learned that the rear hatch might not be fully closed. After opening the rear hatch and properly closing it, the message disappeared. PROBLEM SOLVED

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links