Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connecting An Ipod To A 2004 Avensis T4

JWL

I would like a cheap and simple way to connect my iPod Classic 160GB to my Toyota Avensis. It has a standard built-in radio / cassette / CD player. It seems to have an option for a CD multi-changer but I don't have one.

I don't need any sophisticated controls, just being able to control the volume from the steering wheel would be enough. If I am driving by myself, I will set up a play list long enough to last the journey. If there are passengers then they can control the iPod.

I would however like decent sound quality so I am not interested in cassette or FM adapters. I have tried both and don't like them.

I have searched the forum and net and one possibility is the Connects2 adapter.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctvtyx002-toyota-avensis-corolla-aux-interface-control-adaptor-p-8766.html

This seems like the sort of thing that I would like and the price is acceptable. However, the instructions are minimal. The pictures suggest that you just pull the unit out and plug the thing in at the back. I am happy with the plugging in bit. I already have a iPod like out to RCA cable which would seem to suit it. The bit that I am not so sure about is getting the radio out and back in. Is it really so easy? Has anyone here done it? I would also need to feed the cable out somewhere accessible and not too ugly. I read of one guy who had the cable coming out of the ash tray. That sounds good, I don't smoke so it is handy usable little compartment.

I would even consider a cheaper solution and try to bodge my own connection. I am fairly knowledgeable about electronics and have and can use a soldering iron. If I could get the unit out and disassemble it non-destructively, I may try to intercept the cassette signal to the amp. I would not mind if the cassette was rendered inoperable but the ideal would be to fit trailing RCA sockets and plugs. I could then connect my iPod to RCA cable but if the next owner didn't like this and wanted the cassette, I could reattach the cassette simply by plugging it in.

Why I am looking for such a cheap solution? Well, the car is old and tatty, I don't like it much, and may sell it fairly soon. The job should not make the car look even worse but I don't need a luxury expensive solution.