Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Fault Codes

Bezzer

Couple of days ago I had the following faults come on -

Check Brake System...Check ABS...Check VSC

They cleared when I switched ignition off and restarted but reappeared every now and again and I noticed it was usually when I applied light brake pressure but not always. It was the day before returning from holiday and on the 200 odd mile trip home it happened a couple of times early on the trip then was fine for the last couple of hours, It has happened again since I got back yesterday.

Bridged the diagnostic plug and got the following codes -

ABS 49

VSC 43

P/S 41

I'm not sure if the brake lights were working or not when it happened as I didn't realise it could be the switch before I did some searching on the forum, and of course it hasn't happened since I wanted to check.

I'm going to bear in mind to check the lights/switch when it goes again but could someone tell me what the codes mean and point towards that I could further check please?

EGR was cleaned a month or 2 back.

Hi Mick

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

Del

Yep, fluid level is fine Del.

What are those codes? The normal DTCs are 4 digits.

They are the codes I got after bridging the 4 and 13 pins on the diagnostic plug then scrolling through using the odo reset button. They are the actual 2 figure numbers it gave me, I haven't got a reader which gives the letter and 4 figure number. From what I read when I tried a forum search I thought that was the right way to do it, it gives me my 3 faults plus there is 4WD, Cruise control and Airbag also listed but they were all F/F which I take stands for Fault Free or similar.

Have I done it wrong??

No I think you did it OK.

ABS 49 is definitely related to the brake light switch but the other 2 are related to low Battery voltage. Is your Battery OK? Has it been low recently for any reason? Can you give it a trickle charge then monitor again?

Thanks Don.

Battery seems OK, it's showing 12.7V when rested (not used for 24 hours) no problem turning over/starting and alternator is charging fine.

Tried clearing the fault codes using the methods I found on another post, the ABS and VSC ones cleared to F/F but the P/S 41 wouldn't clear.

Took it around the estate and after a couple of minutes got the same 3 original faults on the dash - "Check" Brake system, ABS and VSC. The handbrake and ABS lights also came and stayed on. Came on when medium braking, brake lights were still working or were a couple of minutes later when I could check them, so can't verify if it is an intermittent brake switch fault.

Same codes when I bridged the connector - ABS 49...VSC 43 and P/S 41 ,

Don't know if the P/S one is just a red herring and is something different to the present problem with it not clearing before,

I may have a saviour, a mechanic neighbour has a pro kit reader system and he's going to plug it in a bit later tonight or tomorrow to see if that will narrow it down. I'll update later.

That was quick, he came round just after I posted the last message :)

Diagnostics done and the only two fault codes were C1249 - Open circuit brake pedal switch and C1223 - ABS sensor fault, that one obviously being caused by the intermittent duff brake switch.

So looks like a new switch should cure it, according to neighbour it's fairly common on Toyotas same as with VWs. On the bright side he went through all the other diagnostics as well and no other faults whatsoever showing :thumbsup:

Will do Don when the new switch has been fitted and tested. It's a pet hate reading problem posts that never get resulted as to whether it's been cured or not.

Got a new switch yesterday, easy fit in about 30 minutes including removing the small lowermost part of the dash above the pedals which gives easy access, if you don't it's a contorsionists nightmare. :unsure:

I haven't used an OEM switch which I believe are £35-£40, got one from fleabay for £18. Was exactly the same length of body and plunger with the correct 4 pin connector, only thing was it was proper threaded with a nut instead of the OE one which is half twist into a plastic sleeve. The new one slid inside the sleeve and just did the nut up to it so it ended up the same length. I figure the OE one isn't that much cop to start with so aftermarket will probably be just as good.

Test drove, brake lights OK and no warning lights, still clear after a couple of trips today as well so seems to be fixed. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this...pointed the dealer at it and they replaced mine...no ore errors.

Yeah! I replaced mine a while back, got one from euro carparts £14 less discount at the time, exact OEM fit.

Keith