Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Registering, Taxing, Insuring An Italian '03 Yaris D-4D - Help?

Tommygunn

I have an Italian bought, registered, taxed and insured Toyota Yaris from 2003 that I now have in the UK.

Being unfamiliar with the UK method of doing things could someone clarify what I need to do and in what order.

Here is my list of what I can think off/glean.

1) Change headlights

2) MOT

3) Insurance

4) Tax

5) Re-registering the plate and docs.

Does anyone know how I can tell if my Yaris is 'Euro import - UK spec' or 'Euro import - non UK spec' as I'm being asked that during insurance quotes.

Is there any other info/documents that I need to collate and in what order?

Many thanks,

Tom.

Need to change and rewire the tail lights for the for / reverse lamp side swap as well.

Had a similar issue last year. Give Toyota UK customer services a call on 01737 367000, they should be able to help if you can give them your VIN number

Mep's,

Does that mean the whole rear light units have to be replaced with UK units? No chance of the individual light segments being modular or the possibility of changing filters?

As far as the wiring goes, do the terminations to each light unit have both both brake and reverse light connections? I don't fancy having to pull out half the wiring loom and swap it to the other side.

Guynecologist,

Thanks for the number. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

Hi Tom, I believe the whole units have to be changed, as the fog has a special reflector to improve the intensity of the light, where as the reverse hasn't, and I think they are sealed units. That can probably be purchased fairly cheaply from a scrappy though.

Re the wiring, it's only a case of running a single piece of twin core wiring from one side to the other to enable you to use one feed for the reverse lamp live feed and the other for the fog, and wiring it in.

Jon.

Guynecologist,

The number you gave me was of no good as it was asking me to enter in an extension or a mailbox number thingy.

Do you have an alternative?

Thanks for the advice, Jon.

A bit of electrical bodging will not be a problem.

Thanks,

Tom.

Guynecologist,

The number you gave me was of no good as it was asking me to enter in an extension or a mailbox number thingy.

Do you have an alternative?

Thanks for the advice, Jon.

A bit of electrical bodging will not be a problem.

Thanks,

Tom.

Electrical "bodging" can be very dangerous resulting in fire.......If you do not know exactly what you are doing then it may be best to get an auto electrician to do the job!

• 7 months later...

You can pass the car import vehicle checks by fitting a separate rear fog from Halfords, if you don't have one in yor light cluster (imported my Corolaa from Australia and it didn't). Oddly enough, you don't need a rear fog to pass the MOT, but you do for an import.

what about MPH speedometer? Not sure if yours is digital or analogue, but I assume you need to be able to display your speed in MPH....

On the Mk1 Yaris at least, the ability to switch between kph and mph is built into the digital speedo and the analogue one has both like most cars. only tricky bit may be the odo and trip counters which you can't toggle the same way afaik...

On the Mk1 Yaris at least, the ability to switch between kph and mph is built into the digital speedo and the analogue one has both like most cars. only tricky bit may be the odo and trip counters which you can't toggle the same way afaik...

I know that UK cars had this facility because I had one myself - but that doesn't necessarily mean that an Italian version would have the same feature. It may well do, in which case fine, but worth checking because if it doesn't, then it could be a big job to retrofit...