Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speaker Help Needed

Tam Bam Magnet Dougal

Got New 6 N Half Inch Speakers There...Was Gonna Put Them In My W Plate Avensis Other Day....But... Noticed They Are Too Small :@

Anybody Know Where I Can Get Adaptor Plates Or Whatever You Call Them lol ?

And What Size Are The Standard Speakers In An Avensis ?

And Are Rear Door Speakers Same Size As Fronts ?

Cheers

Hi,

I have install 6.5 in JBL Speakers and it needs a little bit of woodwork.

The standard Speakers are 5 inch, but due to their design, they are mount in large holes in the door. They are the same all round and a pop riveted.

What you need to do is drill the rivets to remove the old Speakers, then draw a template of the shape using the old speaker. This is for the spacer/baffle to mount the new speaker. I used 6mm MDF. You may need 9mm MDF, depending on the speakers you are going to fit.

I mounted the speaker direct on the door and the sound was not good. The MDF baffle/spacer makes a huge difference in bass. The maximum depth of the speakers allowed in the Avensis is 50mm, so the spacer is needed. Check that the glass clears the speakers! I used the original door cards are grills - I checked the space to make sure there is clearance. Measure everything!

I drilled new holes in the door for the self tapping screws, to mount the spacer and speakers.

The JBLs came with mounting brackets, and I mounted them to the spacer. I fixed thick wrapping plastic behind the speakers to act as rain shields.

You will see what I am trying to explain via the attached pictures.

I hope you find this helpful.

post-76861-0-56972600-1339654199_thumb.j

post-76861-0-32679900-1339654424_thumb.j

Hi.

You could do as I always do when I put new Speakers into my cars: Cut through the existing Speakers and bolt the new Speakers directly into the existing speakerframe with sharp screws and then splice the wires into the wiring plug harness that used to fit onto the frame.

In this way, size doesnt matter of the original speakers as only the magnet of the new speakers fits through the old ones and theres mostly already foam around the edges on the old speakers so it will be a secure and vibration free fit aswell.

Or does anyone actually keep the old speakers? Atleast I don't...

Hi,

I have install 6.5 in JBL speakers and it needs a little bit of woodwork.

The standard speakers are 5 inch, but due to their design, they are mount in large holes in the door. They are the same all round and a pop riveted.

What you need to do is drill the rivets to remove the old speakers, then draw a template of the shape using the old speaker. This is for the spacer/baffle to mount the new speaker. I used 6mm MDF. You may need 9mm MDF, depending on the speakers you are going to fit.

I mounted the speaker direct on the door and the sound was not good. The MDF baffle/spacer makes a huge difference in bass. The maximum depth of the speakers allowed in the Avensis is 50mm, so the spacer is needed. Check that the glass clears the speakers! I used the original door cards are grills - I checked the space to make sure there is clearance. Measure everything!

I drilled new holes in the door for the self tapping screws, to mount the spacer and speakers.

The JBLs came with mounting brackets, and I mounted them to the spacer. I fixed thick wrapping plastic behind the speakers to act as rain shields.

You will see what I am trying to explain via the attached pictures.

I hope you find this helpful.

thats a great guide konrad...cheers for that mate ;-) ..will whip off my doorcards tomorrow and then drill Speakers out and see what i can do...will go and get sum 6mm and 9mm mdf as well....

Hi.

You could do as I always do when I put new speakers into my cars: Cut through the existing speakers and bolt the new speakers directly into the existing speakerframe with sharp screws and then splice the wires into the wiring plug harness that used to fit onto the frame.

In this way, size doesnt matter of the original speakers as only the magnet of the new speakers fits through the old ones and theres mostly already foam around the edges on the old speakers so it will be a secure and vibration free fit aswell.

Or does anyone actually keep the old speakers? Atleast I don't...

nah dont keep them gloom lol...as i said will see what happens once i get door cards off tomorrow...cheers gloom ;-)

I have taken picture of the connections but the wiring colour system Toyota use is not consistant all round. You will need a tester to get the right polarity. I cut the connectors off then do a test connection on one speaker first. I had to do lots of audio tests until I had the Speakers firing in phase - left to right and front to back.

Learning from my hassle. Replace one front speaker only (dont touch the other three yet) and test for phase left to right. You will know if if is correct because the bass will be better. If not sure, reverse the wires on the new speaker see if there is a change. Once you are happy with the sound, make a note of the plus wire it may be the darker or light cable, then change the other side to match, again making sure the sound is correct.

Once you are done the fronts, work on the rears, again checking for phase front to rear. I used wiring blocks and insulation tape to connect the wires. No problems since the instalation.

As I said on my earlier response, you need to make spacer baffles to mount the Alpines you are going to use. This sets the correct speaker depth, though your Aplines are not as deep as mine. Use 6mm MDF.

I have attached some pictures of the old connect and speaker.

post-76861-0-81615000-1339742571_thumb.j

post-76861-0-97456700-1339742604_thumb.j

post-76861-0-29537100-1339742623_thumb.j

post-76861-0-94774300-1339742665_thumb.j

post-76861-0-84131500-1339742728_thumb.j

post-76861-0-25748300-1339742820_thumb.j

I have taken picture of the connections but the wiring colour system Toyota use is not consistant all round. You will need a tester to get the right polarity. I cut the connectors off then do a test connection on one speaker first. I had to do lots of audio tests until I had the speakers firing in phase - left to right and front to back.

Learning from my hassle. Replace one front speaker only (dont touch the other three yet) and test for phase left to right. You will know if if is correct because the bass will be better. If not sure, reverse the wires on the new speaker see if there is a change. Once you are happy with the sound, make a note of the plus wire it may be the darker or light cable, then change the other side to match, again making sure the sound is correct.

Once you are done the fronts, work on the rears, again checking for phase front to rear. I used wiring blocks and insulation tape to connect the wires. No problems since the instalation.

As I said on my earlier response, you need to make spacer baffles to mount the Alpines you are going to use. This sets the correct speaker depth, though your Aplines are not as deep as mine. Use 6mm MDF.

I have attached some pictures of the old connect and speaker.

great stuff that konrad...cheers again mate...will try and get this done at the weekend at latest :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links