Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

advice plz...

cosev

Hi...After I changed my exhaust it is time for me to think what to do with the intake..Should I put an OEM replacement filter or should I get a conical filter?I would like to get a conical filter,but there are many that saying that ther is no benefir from them,that those filters make cars lose power at higher revs,..and all this stuff has made me qutie confused..So,what do you think,should I get a conical filter or what???

Induction kits lose power, erm in answer nope. An Induction kit will help get more air into the engine, you won't lose power by installing one. Sounds a lot better too :)

What car have you got ???

You will only really benefit from an induction kit if you have a better than stock exhaust, remember more air in = more air out = more hp

An exhaust on its own or a filter on its own will be crap but add both and they'll work together and you'll then get your improvement.

It definately will NOT hamper your engine at speed, you engine will only suck as much air as it can handle at any given rev range, thats why forced induction cars (turbo) have 'blow off valves' to prevent pushing too much unwanted air into the intake.

• 5 months later...

Most stock intake tubes are accordian looking so their max inner diameter is diminished. As far as the filter is concerned, the most free flowing with the greatest surface area would be best.

You can lose power with a larger diameter exhaust because there is less scavenging. Most of the time there is a loss of power down low with a gain of power up high. your peak horsepower goes up, but under normal driving it will feel a little weaker. This applies to naturally aspirated.

WIth turbo you need a larger exhaust than non turbo because you are forcing more air/fuel into the combustion chambers than a non turbo. And generally with turbo cars you want the least restrictive exhaust possible so that you don't put back pressure on the turbo outlet.

It definately will NOT hamper your engine at speed, you engine will only suck as much air as it can handle at any given rev range, thats why forced induction cars (turbo) have 'blow off valves' to prevent pushing too much unwanted air into the intake.

blow off valves, dumpvalves what ever you want to call them are to stop the turbo stalling when you lift off the gas. if you imagine the compressor wheel pushin air into the engine. when you lift off the gas the air hits a closed throttle butterfly and stops dead. the shock wave then travels back to the turbo stopping or slowing it down in some cases even smashing the compressor wheel, so next time you accelerate it takes time for the turbo to spin up to speed, known as turbo lag

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links