Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'97 Avalon Strange Pulsating Headlights

toyjohn

I'm looking everywhere to try and narrow down this problem, the dealer said it was the Battery and replaced but didn't fix.

My headlights will start flickering, actually more like strobing dimming very fast, when I reach a speed around 55 - 60 mph. It's a very fast strobing and is not intermittent once it starts. When I slow down to around 50 or so, they will stop, and do not flicker at all under this speed.

Bumps, vibration do not affect flicker in any way, such as starting it when driving slow, or stopping it or affecting the pattern of the flicker at speed.

Parked and revving the engine to cruise rpm does not start the flickering.

Thinking possibly it might be the wind (!) since it was speed associated I taped all wiring tight to body to prevent movement, didn't help. Other than that, it seems to be electronically related since any short or such would be more intermittent?

Any thoughts, ideas, or advice would be appreciated. The only choice I have is to start replacing inexpensive parts such as fuses and relays, then take back to dealer and have them do the same with expensive parts.

Thanks!

John

Could it be some how related to your alternator? Or a higher amount of current while at that speed? Im not sure.

Could be the IC regulator in the alternator giving problems - contacts on your headlight switch making and breaking when you drive - or a faulty headlight relay.

Process of Elimination I'm afraid.

:eek: