Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Yaris

m60

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of buying a 2009 or 2010 model Yaris. Have just bought a 09 plate 1.3 tr for SWMBO and she really likes it (and so do I so I want one too!). Not sure what sort of mpg she's going to get as she hasn't driven it much yet.

In your experience what sort of mpg can you regularly achieve from the 1.3 petrol and what about the 1.4 diesel. I do a 40 mile round trip to work, mostly motorway, some a roads.

Cheers.

My Yaris Mk1 D4D regularly gets 550-600 miles on a tank of diesel with a 80-20 mix of town and motorway driving, and I once got 800 miles out of it when doing a 99% motorway run + lots of hypermiling techniques :D

The 1.3 is nice and peppy but if the motorway will be a major part of your car's life, I'd go for the diesel hands down - It has all the power benefits of the 1.3 and all the efficiency benefits of the 1.0:

It's cheap to tax and is very frugal on fuel, yet has masses of torque throughout the rev range and strong in-gear acceleration. Very fun to drive :) Best small diesel engine out there IMHO; Toyota've done with 1.4L what other mfgs have needed 1.6L to do! (I shall miss the D4D when they dump them for the turbo-fail BWM engines :crybaby:)

The only downside with the 1.4 D4D is it hates being driven around town all the time - It needs to be given a good run now and then to keep all its tubes clean (Esp. the Mk2 and Mk3), so for a commute like yours it'll be happy as larry :)

Having experienced the Yaris Mk1 CDX Auto and i currently own a Yaris Mk3 SR CVT Auto both of them are petrol form. Regularly do 320 miles per week commutes and both only needs to be filled up once a week.

I dont really do much eco driving , but can get approx 40MPGs without too much problem.

The newer Yaris i can hit about 43-46MPGs but it really hasnt run in yet. Only done almost 4K on her.

The 1.33 engine on the latest Yaris is just about nippy enough to get me out of situations, but fully laden it seems a little stretched though.

My SR can get about 350 miles out of a tank , maybe a bit more if i dont use the A/C or not be so heavy footed.

MY Mark 1 Diesel now averages 62mpg - 70% town driving. Hypermiling techniques improved it from its prior average of 57mpg.

Thanks guys, useful info. The mpg on the diesel sounds impressive, although i think the diesels might be a bit pricey to buy for me unless i buy one older than 3 yrs old.

Yeah, that's their biggest downside; You save money day-to-day but the initial cost is a bit steep.

To be fair, the resell value is much better too; If you compare a Mk1 D4D to a Mk1 1.0 VVTi of the same age, it's not uncommon for the D4D to be worth £2-3K more!

(And the very rare Mk1 5-door D4D, even more so! *shakes fist at madasafish* :P)

The gap for the Mk2 is not as great as there were a lot more D4Ds produced, but they still hold their valkue better than the 1.0 or 1.3.

(And the very rare Mk1 5-door D4D, even more so! *shakes fist at madasafish* :P)

Puts thumb to nose and turns it... :-)

Buy the Petrol unless your doing over 15,000 miles a year, fuels cheaper, cars cheaper, insurance and maintenance are generally cheaper.

For me the diesel will drive better but you need to do the miles to make it actually work out cheaper to run.

So if you the like the 1.3 Petrol, get another.