Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slow Throttle Reaction?

craggle

Hi All

I have a 2010 iQ3 so it has the 1.3 engine and the 6 speed manual gearbox and has now done about 15k miles in it's life.

Ever since I bought the car in January this year it has had a slow to react throttle when cold and sometimes when changing gear at speed on fast roads. What happens is first thing in the morning I start the car up and drive carefully up the road, I never drive engines hard until warm so keep the revs low but as you change gear and press the clutch down and release the accelerator the revs seem to remain high for a second before decreasing. It also happens when the car is warm and you go for a quick gearchange at speed, say from 5th to 6th.

Needless to say this makes you look like a twit and people out walking their dog in the morning think I'm incapable of driving! :)

Once the engine is warm and I'm not trying to get away from the police on motorways, it doesn't do it or isn't noticeable. ;)

I've checked the recall list on Toyota's web page and my car isn't subject to the throttle pedal recall or it has already been done and I've checked that the pedal does indeed follow my foot and the pivot isn't seized up or something.

I can only assume that it is either meant to be like that or the throttle body motor is sticky or slow. It is an electronic throttle off course, not a simple cable.

Does anyone else have this problem before I drop into the dealer for advice?

Thanks

Craig

I havent heard of this problem before, ( i have an iq2 ) could it be a faulty or slipping clutch?

Hi ive noticed on mine a 1.3 that from cold when going from 1st to 2nd the revs seem to remain high as if its like a choke kind of thing but by the time I get to the top of the street about a quarter mile its gone. It just feels like a fast idle or something, No problems with throttle other than that mr

Not had any problems like that on mine.

I did wonder if it was part of the cold running of the engine keeping the revs up, like a choke in the old days.

Definitely not the clutch as it only does it when I press the clutch down and disengage it.

I'll mention it to my dealer next time I pop by and see if they think it is normal or not. To be honest I rarely notice it, just when cold in the mornings. Maybe I need to take the dealers iQ3 out for a test drive.....

Thanks for the replies :)

Craig.

I have an IQ 1.3 auto and when in traffic first thing before the engine gets warm, I do wonder if the brakes will stop the car because the automatic gearbox does not want to disingage. Sort of staggers to a halt ;-)

I thinks it to do with the engine revs being slightly higher, and producing more torque which makes gearbox want to go.

It may be a similar problem (feature ??) that you are having, but you notice it more on aq manual shift.

Rgds

I have an IQ 1.3 auto and when in traffic first thing before the engine gets warm, I do wonder if the brakes will stop the car because the automatic gearbox does not want to disingage. Sort of staggers to a halt ;-) I thinks it to do with the engine revs being slightly higher, and producing more torque which makes gearbox want to go. It may be a similar problem (feature ??) that you are having, but you notice it more on aq manual shift. Rgds

Yeah that makes sense as you have no clutch to diengage the drive and if the revs are a little higher the gearbox seems to think you wanna keep going

That sounds the same then as mine, When cold it does tick over faster, maybe about 1000rpm rather than it's more normal 750ish.

Also I can drive off without pressing the accelerator when first started. You just let the clutch up slowly and the revs start to die but then the engine tries to get back to it's tick over speed so off you go slowly. It is quite useful actually for getting out the house quietly in the morning. :)

I did a search on Google for electronic throttle delay and it seems quite common and is a problem for people with performance cars who are after quick gear changes. Some companies claim to sell plug in boxes that eliminates it but they seem to have mixed reviews.

Craig.

I had an unusual higher revs on my 2010 iQ3 multidrive last year. I took it into Inchcape who used a handheld diagnostic machine. A fault code came up, but the technician did not know for sure or didn't want to tell me what it was. He said I will just reset it for you. It's been fine ever since. So don't be afraid to take it in. It took about 5 minutes to check and reset.

Regards

Marc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links