Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Guage

Myles Taylor

Hi folks Im quite sure this has been done before but can anybody tell me what can I expect from a tank full of petrol in a 1.3 mainly A and B roads no more than 60 mph . The fuel guage seems to go down really odd.

So far ive had 95 miles to the first block, 125 to the next block , 186 to the third block, 222 to the fourth block, I am currently on 250 with two blocks remaining.

And does anybody know what kind of mileage can I expect to get on the remaining last (flashing) block. As I dont wont to be putting fuel in before I need to . Thanks folk :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• s44gtw

• aaronfife

• craggle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the 1.0 - I know it might be unrelevent but might give you a ruff idea?

I get around 150 miles until first block goes off, averaging 260 miles half way then usually get 320 - 360 miles altogether until last block flashes. then i fill up. Judging your 1.3, your probably averaging the average for that model. As you will be aware, depends if your flooring it in every gear. For me to get 360 miles or a tad more, I'm in 5th gear at 40mph and doing 60mph top on motorways, using about 70% throttle on most occasions with the odd sprited drive through back roads (Very rarely)

I know this might not help as mine is a 1.0 but may hopefully give you some indication of your what your averaging.

My policy now is to just fill it up again when the last bar is flashing. It is a bit erratic though and my full tank indicator last for ages, I assume that's because I'm filling the tank fully and then filling the filler tube as well.

I've never worked it out in mileage though to each bar.

I did drive about 50 miles with the last bar flashing once then stopped the car and upon restarting it had 2 steady bars on the gauge. it stayed like that for a further 50 odd miles before flashing again.

Odd things these gauges :)

Craig.

I got 315 miles out of my last tank with a mix of flooring it and driving carefully, my bar also seems to flash between 1 and 2 bars for a day or 2 aswell :)

I have the 1.0 - I know it might be unrelevent but might give you a ruff idea? I get around 150 miles until first block goes off, averaging 260 miles half way then usually get 320 - 360 miles altogether until last block flashes. then i fill up. Judging your 1.3, your probably averaging the average for that model. As you will be aware, depends if your flooring it in every gear. For me to get 360 miles or a tad more, I'm in 5th gear at 40mph and doing 60mph top on motorways, using about 70% throttle on most occasions with the odd sprited drive through back roads (Very rarely) I know this might not help as mine is a 1.0 but may hopefully give you some indication of your what your averaging.

Yeh it does help ive jut got to 260 miles and im flashing so im guessing 40 miles then fill up im happy at 300 miles as my C1 did about 370 and thats about a 5 litre bigger tank

I have the 1.0 - I know it might be unrelevent but might give you a ruff idea? I get around 150 miles until first block goes off, averaging 260 miles half way then usually get 320 - 360 miles altogether until last block flashes. then i fill up. Judging your 1.3, your probably averaging the average for that model. As you will be aware, depends if your flooring it in every gear. For me to get 360 miles or a tad more, I'm in 5th gear at 40mph and doing 60mph top on motorways, using about 70% throttle on most occasions with the odd sprited drive through back roads (Very rarely) I know this might not help as mine is a 1.0 but may hopefully give you some indication of your what your averaging.

Yeh it does help ive jut got to 260 miles and im flashing so im guessing 40 miles then fill up im happy at 300 miles as my C1 did about 370 and thats about a 5 litre bigger tank

And it was only the 1.0 litre

My policy now is to just fill it up again when the last bar is flashing. It is a bit erratic though and my full tank indicator last for ages, I assume that's because I'm filling the tank fully and then filling the filler tube as well.

I've never worked it out in mileage though to each bar.

I did drive about 50 miles with the last bar flashing once then stopped the car and upon restarting it had 2 steady bars on the gauge. it stayed like that for a further 50 odd miles before flashing again.

Odd things these gauges :)

Craig.

Too right what an odd guage ive just put 20 quid in from flashing and im back up to 5 bars again ha ha dont figure

Can we search on here for a particular topic at all ive tried the search box but that brings up all toyota models

When I first got mine, the first couple of times the the last two bars started flashing I went and filled the tank up and got in so many liters (can't remember now exactly), but knowing it holds 32 liters when full I calculated that I had two gallons in reserve when the last two bars start flashing. That is the number to remember, 2 gallons.

What I do now is reset Trip A every time I fill up and when the last two bars start flashing I look at my Trip A millage, so if it's reading 257 miles and the Ave MPG is telling me I have averaged 50 mpg on this tankful then I can go another 100 miles, taking Trip A up to 357 miles.

I hope that makes sense, it does work for me. I have driven for 100 miles with flashing bars and once when filling up I managed to get 32.75 liters in.

Of course, if you have been driving with a lead foot and your average is only 45 mpg then you have another 90 miles in the tank.

This all presumes your last bit of driving is the same as you have been doing for the first bit of the tankful.

Is there any way to make an analog gauge work using the stock sender unit? This fuel gauge has to be one of the most erratic and unreliable gauges ever.

When I first got mine, the first couple of times the the last two bars started flashing I went and filled the tank up and got in so many liters (can't remember now exactly), but knowing it holds 32 liters when full I calculated that I had two gallons in reserve when the last two bars start flashing. That is the number to remember, 2 gallons. What I do now is reset Trip A every time I fill up and when the last two bars start flashing I look at my Trip A millage, so if it's reading 257 miles and the Ave MPG is telling me I have averaged 50 mpg on this tankful then I can go another 100 miles, taking Trip A up to 357 miles. I hope that makes sense, it does work for me. I have driven for 100 miles with flashing bars and once when filling up I managed to get 32.75 liters in. Of course, if you have been driving with a lead foot and your average is only 45 mpg then you have another 90 miles in the tank. This all presumes your last bit of driving is the same as you have been doing for the first bit of the tankful.

Cheers that helps a lot I shall try next time I get to flashing, you say 2 bars flashing but I only get one :huh:

Yes my mistake, it's two solid bars then the last one starts to flash ;)

Just making sure you were paying attention :)

Yes my mistake, it's two solid bars then the last one starts to flash ;)

Just making sure you were paying attention :)

Oh dont worry I was cheers :D

I was in Marlow last night and coming back to Twickenham. The last fuel bar was flashing in Marlow and I travelled past Bisham up to the M4, M4 to M25, M25 to M3. It was here that the M3 was blocked to London. I was forced down away from home down the M3 to junction 3 where I could then travel in the right direction back up the M3 for home. It was a bit worrying, as it was 11:30pm. I have calculated the route to be 48.5 miles. The fuel gauge on the iQ is about the only thing I don't like. I suppose it can't be any better due to the flat tank. But at least I know it does 50 mile or so on the last flashing bar.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my last fuel bar experiment I posted up in 2011 has been forgotten already!

With careful driving I got over 100 miles when my last bar flashed. I still did not need to fuel but chose to. I carried a spare can of fuel in the car whilst doing this.

You could drive like you stole it and you will always get a minimum of 50 miles on the last flashing bar.

I was on my last flashing bar a fortnight ago and managed to drive from Pontefract to near Manchester before I needed refueling - that's with stop start traffic for over 10 miles down the M62 due to road works and congessions.

I have sinced filled it up full and driven daily, nearly 200 miles and I am 2 blocks down from full. It's very emperical unlike analogue guages other car have - I find this annoying as I'll be going on a long trip down south and I still don't know how many miles a full tank (on a 1.0 engine) will do, especially when it's flashing and I managed to do 60miles out of that.

I guess my last fuel bar experiment I posted up in 2011 has been forgotten already!

With careful driving I got over 100 miles when my last bar flashed. I still did not need to fuel but chose to. I carried a spare can of fuel in the car whilst doing this.

You could drive like you stole it and you will always get a minimum of 50 miles on the last flashing bar.

Dizeee, I don't think it had been forgot. But the original post was by a newish member who probaly hasn't seen you OP, plus the thread was started with regard to the 1.33 engine, yours is the 1.0 so would give a different range on the tankful.

I was on my last flashing bar a fortnight ago and managed to drive from Pontefract to near Manchester before I needed refueling - that's with stop start traffic for over 10 miles down the M62 due to road works and congessions.

I have sinced filled it up full and driven daily, nearly 200 miles and I am 2 blocks down from full. It's very emperical unlike analogue guages other car have - I find this annoying as I'll be going on a long trip down south and I still don't know how many miles a full tank (on a 1.0 engine) will do, especially when it's flashing and I managed to do 60miles out of that.

Your tank hold 32 litres when full, which equals 7 UK gallons.

So for instance if you average 50mpg, you know wou will get approx 350 miles.

This is why you need to ignore the bars and just reset the milometer when you refuel.

For the 1.0 and I would imagine prob the same for the 1.3 It breaks down as follows:

40mpg = Total Safe Tanks Distance of 320 miles / Last bar starts flashing around 270 miles

50mpg = Total Safe Tanks Distance of 350 miles / Last bar starts flashing around 290 miles

60mpg = Total Safe Tanks Distance of 380 miles / Last bar starts flashing around 310 miles

60+mpg = Total Safe Tanks Distance of 400+ miles / Last bar starts flashing around 320 miles

As my commute is 2/3 motorway I usually average 65mpg and I regularly get to 400 miles. Bar starts flashing anywhere around the 310 mile mark.

Filled my car up this morning as the fuel bar was just hovering between two bars and one flashing bar.

The mileage was at 250 miles since last fill on a 1.3 litre engine and manual transmission. I know I could go a few more days yet but I was there, the petrol station was empty and it wasn't raining this morning! :)

Craig.

That's a good question.

I filled it to the brim, as much as I could squeeze in there right up to the fuel filler neck and it only took 21.68 litres which cost me £28.38.

Think I could have gone a lot further yet!

As I brimmed it last time too I guess I did those 250 miles on 21.68 litres so based on a UK gallon being 4.54609 litres that works out as.....

21.68 / 4.54609 = 4.7689 UK gallons used.

250 miles / 4.7689 = 52.4 miles per gallon.

Pretty pleased with that really for a mix of dual carriageway and country lane driving on my way to work. :)

Craig.

Very good

Up the pipe you have around 8 gallons on board.

So you had at least 2.5 gallons left and at that MPG was probably safe for 100 miles.

paid £1.30.9 a litre if i am right.

was that unleaded?

Or was that 'Sainsbury Super Unleaded 97 Ron that i was getting for the same price as 95 ron elsewhere?

If not the Sainsbury's Super, then i would give it a try,

but i am back on Tesco Momentum 99 now as i require 98 RON min,

it was not worth it when i was running a 1.0 iQ, but i think you will notice the difference & get a few extra MPG on a iQ3.

http://www.petrolprices.com

george

It was indeed £1.309 per litre,

It was normal Shell Fuelsave Unleaded which I think is their regular unleaded then they do the V-Power one too. V-Power is apparently 99 Ron and the standard Fuelsave is 95 Ron I think

I normally use Shell as I drive past 2 of their stations on the way to and from work and going elsewhere is kind of using extra fuel to fill up with fuel.

If you have noticed a difference though I may try a few tanks of the V-power or fill up when I'm shopping at Tesco.

Why do you require 98 Ron minimum?

Craig.

I dont need the 98 RON on an iQ, not got another one yet, still playing with my Twin Charger Skoda and it loves the 99 RON.

V-Power is fine, but really after extensive testing and much vouchers, (lol not, but i do lots of miles)

Tesco Momentum is really my fav,

not so many of those Shell Detergents and stuff which not every car likes.

My 1.0 did really do its best on Sainsbury 97 RON for a few fills, then it just reverted back to type i found.

george

PS, we have a 102 RON station in Scotland and the price is crazy and my car loved it too much,

so Tesco it is.