Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Guage

Myles Taylor

well at least there's a bit of consistency, 290-300 is where mine starts flashing too(is yours a 3 as well?)

FYI, filled it up this morning 3 blocks left ,21.5 ltrs put in 282 miles (59.74 mpg).now in the winter 282 mls would be a 2 block job. But as i say i monitor mpg manually tank to tank , and dont bother over the guage too much. i usually tank at 290-320 miles anyway,as the iq mostly does the same journeys 4 days a week and use the RAV the rest of the time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• s44gtw

• aaronfife

• craggle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is yours a 3 as well?

Mine is just a standard iQ - but I live in Pontefract, so hilly commute thus lower MPG. My co-worker who lives a distance away on flatter road commute gets around 330miles a tank flashing. So it does vary.

How people are annoyed by the fuel gauge amuses me.

350 miles and you need petrol again or not seems simple.

george

Exactly right as any seasoned IQ driver will tell you.

When I did my last fuel bar experiment - I got 400 miles on an average of around 64 mpg. I still didnt run out of fuel.

Whats the size of the fuel tank is it 32 litres? I have put in 34 litres before back in the day, there is a lot of scope. Trust the car and trust your instinct.

I'm not sure if we are discussing the fuel gauge display or MPG to MP / Tank

David

Valuable lesson learned yesterday, When the low fuel bar starts flashing fill the car up with fuel!!!

I drove probably about 25 miles once the low bar started flashing and thought I'd have plenty of fuel to get me to the petrol station the next morning. I didn't reset the trip miles last fill up so not sure how many miles I did.

Went out to the car yesterday morning and the car wouldn't start! Couldn't work out why, checked a few basic things under the bonnet but nothing, just cranking over. After a few times though I heard the high pitched whistle of an empty fuel pump under the floor so got a friend to pop a gallon of petrol round to me, Poured it in and after a couple of times trying to start she fired up and ran perfectly. Made it to the petrol station and filled it up!

Won't do that again.

Craig.

Not good Craig! :(

To be honest, the fuel gauge is inaccurate, we all know this. I don't really see the huge ordeal on it either, when it comes down to the last 2 bars we all know another 50-100 miles and it will start flashing so why not just fill up before it gets to that point? I understand testing it, as Craig and many others have tried but after that you just go with the flow. An analogue gauge would be much better, I agree but with all the other technical things on the IQ, it's a fantastic car with a vase amount of technology onboard. There will always be problems with fresh ideas on cars like the IQ but, the fuel guage is certainly least of my problems as I know how much, going by the miles I get. I usually average 350-400 miles to a £35 fill up (depending on price.) If I get heavy on the right foot or if there's crosswinds on a longer drive, I go for 300 miles out a full tank.

I doubt there will be a fix for it and if there is or someone can fix it, full credit to them as it is annoying but at the end of the day, it's a small niggling issue that personally I've got used to. I know how many miles it takes and I usually push the button for trip miles when the tank gets to 2 bars remaining and read off the trip miles more than to stare at the fuel gauge.

I agree fully Aaron, I normally fill it up as soon as it flashes and I think I said the same earlier in this thread, why take the chance.

What I need to look into though is how much I managed to get into the car afterwards. I put 4.5 litres max in it from the can and I'm sure the bill was only about £28 when I filled up to the very top of the filler tube. Unfortunately I can't find the receipt at the moment but will search the car out tomorrow for it but I'm pretty convinced I put less in there than the spec says on tank capacity?

I will now make a point to fill it up regardless once I see 2 bars remaining and if I'm not full when one flashes I will start to panic! :)

Craig.

I got 28 miles from my flashing segement. The issue is the display is not fit for purpose. You should not have to use the trip computer to indicate how much fuel you have left otherwise there is no need for a fuel display. As you can see from my pic's i lost 2 segements in 12 miles!! There is no future fix for this unless MR T changes the segements to indicate a linear display with many many segements.the issue is you should not have to check the trip computer to check fuel level by the miles covered

David

The IQ is a city car. It is designed to be used on an urban environment where there is a petrol station every half mile ..... Maybe that's why the gauge appears to be a bit of an afterthought .

I just fill up as soon as the last segment flashes . On my daily commute (which probably accounts for 90% my annual mileage ) I pass 8. Petrol stations in 30 minutes . So I guess iI am lucky that its not and issue for me.

286miles on the trip computer, flashing on my guage. Maybe I was a little heavy on my right foot this weekend when I drove around the A road. Better fill up then.

I got 28 miles from my flashing segement. The issue is the display is not fit for purpose. You should not have to use the trip computer to indicate how much fuel you have left otherwise there is no need for a fuel display. As you can see from my pic's i lost 2 segements in 12 miles!! There is no future fix for this unless MR T changes the segements to indicate a linear display with many many segements.the issue is you should not have to check the trip computer to check fuel level by the miles covered

David

I can see your frustration as it is obviously a design fault but it's not the end of the world? You've got to remember the fuel tank is very thin and flat, therefore an accurate reading will most likely be difficult to achieve. I doubt very much this will be resolved and therefore will be a niggling thing that IQ owners will have to live with. On the other hand, it obviously would be a great benefit if it did get looked into. Some older cars I've owned have been terrible even on an analogue guage, park it on a hill and the red light flashed, even though there was quarter of a tank in it. I remember sprinted drives on B-roads and the gauge dropped dramatically then when on the straights it started to climb....

When you take this into consideration, the IQ's gauge, certainly isn't the worst I've encountered!

Just taken the car on its first long run to the coast on a blistering hot day.

Brimmed the tank as we left. A round trip of 133 miles mostly on the A350 . I only lost the first segment on the last 5 miles of the journey. Computer says a frankly amazing 65.5 mpg. Which I will check by refilling. Despite my earlier post that the IQ is a city car.... it is also a car to have a bit of fun at the seaside on winding country lanes in Dorset..... and then find a tiny space to park it in when you get there...

Driving it daily to work and back I haven't appreciated how comfortable, spacious, and practical it is for two people and all the gear chucked in the back for a day at the seaside.

The climate control also had a workout and it has proved very effective.

Sight of the day ..... A massive Winnebago towing a silver IQ like some sort of lifeboat.

I wanted to chase after it to get a photo ... but that would have been childish (apparently )

Its not frustrating, Its not fit for purpose!!

David

Its not frustrating, Its not fit for purpose!!

David

Then why have you still got the car if it seems to be such a major issue to you? I'm only trying to get other opinions on the problem. It won't sort itself :-|

Me personally don't have an issue with it, like mentioned before. This morning my last bar started to flash and I know I will get another 100 miles out of what is left.

Those that don't like the existing gauge, has anyone thought of fitting an after market analogue gauge ? Smiths do some so do Tim and a few others, these are the round 52mm type that will need fitting in to a pod. But I guess the end result might only be a slight improvement on visability of fuel used/left as the gauge can only be as good as tank shape and efficiency of the sender.

Think how a lot of bikers go on with only a light to tell you you have reached reserve!

Didn't even think about bikers but your right!

My last post didn't mean to sound harsh just for the record so apologies before I offend anyone :)

As long as you know what your average is per tank as you mentioned it's all good

Just for the record IQ3 CVT mainly driving in the burbs with occasional longer run.

Car Milage to date 6224 miles averages 39.58 MPG on brimflls (well a couple of clicks of the shut off valve)

That gives me a a range of 277 miles on a tank full.

My attention to the flashing bar may not that good.

So working back from the range (277 miles) to the gallons to replenish to brimful X 39.58 MPG gave me 116 miles (best case) 54 miles (worst case) left in the tank on the sight of the flashing bar.

Still with me ;-))

Over an average of 8 fashing bars, ( fill up when I have a run) the average left in the tank is 81 Miles.

Does an IQ3 do what Mr T says to the gallon Nooooo-h (But does any car)

Is the gauge more accurate than a bent wooden measuring stick Noooo-h

Do I worry about the guage (sometimes)

Rgds

This pic is from a thread in a Skoda Forum about a Fuel Indicator that just as unpredictable as the iQ one.

Fat at the top and gets thinner at the bottom.

If it was a straight up Rectangle divided into 5ths, you might imagine that was 20% per block.

Quarter tank and then reserve or even 6 or 7 equal blocks.

It is not tho,

its just a rough indication.

32 litres that takes 36 litres easy, its all an 'mini' adventure!!

Just with more space and less of a fuel range.

george

post-104736-0-16020500-1343218281_thumb.

anybody remember the 70's celica with 2 fuel guages, main one went down to a quarter and then the second one went from quarter to zero , i liked that.

Toyota in the 70's & 80's made you feel like you were a pilot.

(or even a space cadet!!) Loved them.

george

post-104736-0-21452700-1343220815_thumb.

proper guages in my 74 celica , oil pressure, amps , water, fuel(and it worked right) in the centre of the wood effect dash, white interior and tinted windows

pure bliss

Some good inputs from people. The discussion was about the visual fuel display. I will say again the display is not fit for purpose. I should not have to leave my mode function on trip A or B all the time. Nor should I have to rely on my wife to religiously make sure she resets the trip at every refill.Digital displays should never be used to measure liquid unless they are arranged to visually emulate an analogue meter.My verso also has a "flat " fuel tank and whilst there is an element of the fuel gauge being digital, the display is visually analogue and it gives a true representation of the fuel level and expected range, Having 6 segments as an indication is useless as i have demonstrated pictorially. Getting into an iQ you have absolutely no idea of expected range, not even roughly when the display can loose 2 segments over 12 miles.In fact on that journey the first segment extinguished at 150 miles quickly followed by another 2 only 12 miles later.Each journey HAS to be with reference to the trip which isn't right, Digital displays rely on algorithms, which are designed by the designer and are only as good as his/her ability.Thats why modern Televisions are different from each other not just because of the screen technology but by the coded emotion chips with coded predictive algorithms. Analogue, whether it be TV, or fuel displays, is a true represented display and not a compromised display, not using guess work with laws of probability in making predictive algorithms and throwing "bits " away to get the bit rate down, My back ground is that i am to degree level in electronics and am a Radio and Television transmitter design engineer. As for a comment about "why i don't i get rid of my iQ then as i am disappointed withe display" It is for discussion about the display and its design failings. As you seasoned members on her know I have from first joining, been sharing my modifications with you all and taking the time to help others with their projects and or doing it for the. I am highly unlikely to be selling my car

David

It didn't mean to sound harsh as mentioned. I, personally am a very appreciative person and do try to help others to my knowledge. Just like you. I just don't understand how it seems to affect you so deeply but that's where we are all different.

We bought the IQ to save money. End of. We are now saving £100 a month on petrol and more on tax and insurance over the course of the coming months. So maybe my car is used and judged very differently to yours. I love the IQ but unless a miracle happens, permanent features on the car will not/doubtful to change. I know how much I have left on a rough basis. Mine is at 275miles just now, showing half a tank. I could tell you, it will be needing filled in another 80 miles or so, so yes, in my eyes I go by both displays. I always have done as digital or analogue, most gauges I've experienced are inaccurate. I just don't see the huge ordeal. I want to help people yes but I'm obviously not as particular and enthusiastic as you might be. Which ain't a bad thing what so ever :) .

You see, you say it 'showing half a tank', well its design does not show half tanks does it?

THe blocks do not not indicate equal amounts. We know how much fuel the first block indicates.

(well in an approx sort of way)

can you do a picture of what it is at when you think that is showing half a tank.

or how many blocks have gone?

george

A picture of....? That's why I said 'showing half a tank' and not 'it IS half a tank'. It's built into the main computer and can't see how you could possibly modify it unless as mentioned, get a pod along side but even then its still not 100% accurate

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links