Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radweld Yes Or No?

TSPORDIMSTER

Just a simple question has anyone used radweld before? if so was it a good thing or never again

I seem to have a leak which I can't find at the mo and noticing its losing water every 4 days or so whilst im communting to work everyday i'm in need of a temp fix but not sure if its worth doing?

Thanks

It's good stuff, but most workshops now use K-Seal... personally I would have a look underneath the car as you may have a tiny drip that only happens when the system is hot.

I normally use K seal, far better stuff.

It's good stuff, but most workshops now use K-Seal... personally I would have a look underneath the car as you may have a tiny drip that only happens when the system is hot.

Yeah I find it's only loses it when hot because when I leave it overnight, its still full in the morning :unsure: thanks will see how it goes with some k seal then

Hi,

Hmmm, well I would say find and fix the problem before it leaves you stranded or boiled over.

Check your oil fiiler cap, any signs of white creamy stuff inside, have a look around the rad filler caps, rad matrix and around the water pump for any traces of dried antifreeze/ water.

Any damp mats inside the footwell indicating a leak from the heater matrix.

Using a sealer will just give you false security, let you down when you least expect it.

Would also be dubious about using it with the heater matrix being so likely to become blocked anyway as reported in many other posts.

Still, your choice...

Hi,

Hmmm, well I would say find and fix the problem before it leaves you stranded or boiled over.

Check your oil fiiler cap, any signs of white creamy stuff inside, have a look around the rad filler caps, rad matrix and around the water pump for any traces of dried antifreeze/ water.

Using a sealer will just give you false security, let you down when you least expect it.

Would also be dubious about using it with the heater matrix being so likely to become blocked anyway as reported in many other posts.

Still, your choice...

Hi 'oldcodger' i think it was you who replied last week when I first started to notice the leak.

I've taken on board what you've said but still can't seem to rectify the problem, the only thing left I can think is the radiators nakered as this is the only thing which hasnt been changed since new engines been dropped in. its so annoying after spending so much on it recently .

Hi,

Still, your choice...

Hi 'oldcodger' i think it was you who replied last week when I first started to notice the leak.

I've taken on board what you've said but still can't seem to rectify the problem, the only thing left I can think is the radiators nakered as this is the only thing which hasnt been changed since new engines been dropped in. its so annoying after spending so much on it recently .

Ah.. didn't realise it was the same person / problem.

Have had a few radiiators leak over the years and a couple of water pumps, both seem hard to spot initially but then usually let go completely.

Your problem seems more concerning if you are loosing a good bit of water but no obvious signs ?

Not something I have every tried but perhpas worth having a pressure test done by a garage.

Seems there are an array of test kits, but generally too expensive for an owner to buy.

http://sykes-pickava...e%20Testers.pdf

Would make a few calls in the morning an find out what the cost of a test is.

If it locates the problem, money well spent.

Any reason you think it's the radiator (e/g. drips underneath).

May be a headgasket issue?

I used to have a 328i that would only leak water at very high temps.. so maybe let it idol for a while, let the temps come up, and check the radiator as well as the bottom hoses ?

See if there anycar radiator repair workshops in your area. Most have the test kit for seeking leaks or checking for over-pressurising systems.

Personally I would only use a sealing additive in an absolute emergency - if you want to know why ask a radiator expert. If you seen the inside of a rad after this stuff is used it reduces the coolant flow considerably which then can lead to over-heating. Bingo another seized engine.

I have seen Rad weld clog up the water ways in a cylinder block, but that was three bottles in a 1.1 106. It caused the block to crack and the head gasket to go.

I have seen Rad weld clog up the water ways in a cylinder block, but that was three bottles in a 1.1 106. It caused the block to crack and the head gasket to go.

Dont know if they still make it but BARS SEAL is the only one i would trust.

Several manufacturers used to use it in production of their cars.

you cant just drop it in the the coolant reservoir,you need to put it the system proper. Drain some coolant off and disconnnect the top hose from the rad and crumple the stuff into the rad or hose is one way, the reconnect and top up.

To be honest i would get your head well and trully into the engine bay and do some good routing around to try and find the leak, Not just looking get in there with an inspection mirror and a torch.

The last thing you want is for you engine to over heat whilst in traffic one day and you havent got a bottle of spare water to hand as it can then cause some more serious damage to the engine.

I know these selants are pretty good but if you worked in a submarine and you had a small crack in the hull you would'nt just put some glue over it to solve the leak.

I had a very simular problem on my supra where it had a small crack in the plastic top on the radiator, I drove 120 miles back from nottingham and the second i got the car on the drive the top of the rad blew off covering my engine bay in coolant which was a bi**h to clean up. I would have been up s**t creek if it hapened to me on the motorway, and i used rad weld initially. So im just letting you know from experience.

Gav

You need to get the car on a dry patch of land and then start t up from cold. Let it warm up and check very closely around the engine bay - check each hose, each coolant elbow and waterways etc. Check the Thermostat housing for leaks.

If there is no external leak and you are sure it isn't the heater matrix then it's time to perform a compression test to determine whether or not the head gasket is wrecked. The first tell-tale sign will be a mayo like substance in the oil cap for the engine. You would also notice white smoke from the exhaust.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid Radweld and all other sealants. They are meant to limp you the last crucial miles of a journey, they are not to be considered a fix.

There really isn't anything you can do besides checking for leaks more carefully and then performing a compression test.

KP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links