Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Due To Replace The Gen3 T-Spirit

Dave R.

Well, my Gen 3 T-Spirit is reaching the end of its 3 year lease in September, so I need to start looking for a new motor. I'd like another Prius, but am now struggling with the leasing company's price list (company car, so no shopping around; but the prices have gone up :( )

I had hoped to go for the adaptive cruise control, but it seems that's only available with the technology pack... which bumps the price up even further (I'm already having to forgo all-leather seats to keep the price down).

As far as I can see, a T-Spirit, (not leather) with no extras is going to cost me a little bit more than the current (leather seat) T-Spirit. So without the technology pack, I seem to be losing park assist (nice toy but I can live without it); DAB radio (again, never had one in the car, so won't miss it); Pile of "internet" functions via the phone -(which I wouldn't be able to use as it requires a phone that allows tethering). The other option would be to go for a T4 with the tech pack - but then I lose the auto LED headlights.......

Any flaws / omissions in this line of argument?

Also sad to see HUD for the satnav has gone :( but pleased to see how smart the USB / iPod connector is on the radio/satnav. :)

how about the Auris hybrid?

Well, my Gen 3 T-Spirit is reaching the end of its 3 year lease in September, so I need to start looking for a new motor. I'd like another Prius, but am now struggling with the leasing company's price list (company car, so no shopping around; but the prices have gone up :( )

I had hoped to go for the adaptive cruise control, but it seems that's only available with the technology pack... which bumps the price up even further (I'm already having to forgo all-leather seats to keep the price down).

As far as I can see, a T-Spirit, (not leather) with no extras is going to cost me a little bit more than the current (leather seat) T-Spirit. So without the technology pack, I seem to be losing park assist (nice toy but I can live without it); DAB radio (again, never had one in the car, so won't miss it); Pile of "internet" functions via the phone -(which I wouldn't be able to use as it requires a phone that allows tethering). The other option would be to go for a T4 with the tech pack - but then I lose the auto LED headlights.......

Any flaws / omissions in this line of argument?

Also sad to see HUD for the satnav has gone :( but pleased to see how smart the USB / iPod connector is on the radio/satnav. :)

How really important are the LED headlights?

I have a Gen 3 T4 and compared to the T Spirit I don't get sat nav (I have a TomTom which is so much better) I don't get the 20 GB hard disc for music ( I have a Parrot 9200i which has Ipod controls so I can play my music through that) I lose the reversing camera or self parking ( I turn my head and look out the back window)

What do you really lose out on by going for a T4 with a Technology pack rather than a T Spirit?

How really important are the LED headlights?

I have a Gen 3 T4 and compared to the T Spirit I don't get sat nav (I have a TomTom which is so much better) I don't get the 20 GB hard disc for music ( I have a Parrot 9200i which has Ipod controls so I can play my music through that) I lose the reversing camera or self parking ( I turn my head and look out the back window)

What do you really lose out on by going for a T4 with a Technology pack rather than a T Spirit?

Normally I'd agree, but the way the leasing company price extras, the difference in price between a T4 upgraded to Touch & Go Plus and a T-Spirit with no extras is minimal - so I effectively get the auto lights, light washers and water repellent glass thrown in for very little extra cost. (the new models don't appear to have the hard disk any more).

All I need to do now is sort out the colour... and again, need to check what our leasing deal is with metallic paint (otherwise, it's black again, or switch to white!)

I've downloaded the Touch & Go Plus manual, & I must admit it does look rather clever - with options to transfer stuff to the system from USB stick as well as via a phone.... useful if you don't have a smartphone with full internet tethering capability! I wonder just how good the iPod controls are?

RE Auris - I'd rather have the slightly bigger car (Prius).

I don't think you get Cruise control on T4 either do you ?

I don't think you get Cruise control on T4 either do you ?

I have it on my 2010 Gen 3 - it was one of the reasons I went for a T4 as I use it about 90% of the time I am on the motorway

• 2 months later...

Well, I went for a replacement T-Spirit (white this time instead of black). Standard seats rather than the leather option (though in practice, most of the seat cover is actually leather). I didn't go for the technology pack (Too expensive).

I've had a quick play in in the car (setting up bluetooth, investigating sat nav etc.) but have yet to find out everything about the car.

First observations, though...

1) Lost the guide lines on the reversing camera (I guess these only come with the auto-park option)

2) Lost the tray in the arm-rest to sit my phone on

3) Despite headlamps being LED, main beam is still conventional Halogen - looks terribly yellow by comparison (disappointing)

4) Sat Nav map display is pretty much unreadable in "night" mode (no contrast between the roads and the background)

5) USB / bluetooth functionality is great (though yet to use USB in anger for music)

6) There's a new EV indicator alongside the eco indicator on the power display (so shows when the car is coasting & burning no petrol)

7) when you switch off, the display shows details of the last journey (including cost!)

8) Handbook is pretty meaningless around some of the more exotic setup functions (e.g. function xxxx may be set "on" or "off" - manual just says function can be "on" or "off" but does not actually explain what the function is!!)

9) Phone book integration far better

10) Lost the "speed dial" function on the phone

11) Apparently there is a voice activated phone dial by name function - yet to try it - let's hope this is good enough to make up for loss of speed dials

12) Disappointed to have lost satnav HUD (though it did not come as a surprise)

13) Graphics on the MFD are more exotic / have more detail / shading

14) setting aircon temperature invokes a huge temperature display in the MFD - far easier than squinting down at the aircon controls!

15) surprised to find that the Daylight running lights go off, and side-lights come on when the lights are turned on -I'd have expected DLRS to just stay on all the time. (not a problem - just seems over-engineered!)

OK so much of the list is very minor and picky (I know when I'm being a complete anorak!)

I'll see about adding to / updating the list after a week or so's driving.

AFAIK the guide lines on reversing cameras are built in to the camera. If you really need the lines, you could look at getting a cheap camera with lines off eBay and swapping out the toyota camera.

AFAIK the guide lines on reversing cameras are built in to the camera. If you really need the lines, you could look at getting a cheap camera with lines off ebay and swapping out the toyota camera.

That's a shame. After a couple of days I'm really missing the guidelines..... it used to be far simpler looking at the tv screen to work out where the car was going. Now I have to go "old school" and actually turn around & look out of the back window!

Unfortunately mines a company lease car so I don't have the option of hacking about swapping the camera.