Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Vents.

ryanas

I might be a bit paranoid. BUT....

On my dash vents at one side is a ball of plastic, and at the other side where i believe a ball should be is flat bit with a square cut out.

Can anyone confirm this to be correct.

Also im confused as to the Toyota security system the IQ has. Mine has a sticker on the windscreen saying security system.

On the Toyota website it says Alarm as standard. Yet in the options an alarm is shown and in the handbook it says alarm optional.

Do you mean the vents right up front under the base of the screen? If so the little ball like dome thing on the drivers side is the light sensor for the automatic headlights. If you start the car, lean forward and cover the sensor a few seconds later the lights will come on and go out again when you remove your hand. I guess the hole the other side is for left hand drive vehicles.

Mine also had that sticker until I took it out the window as it was all faded. I think the basic Toyota alarm system is standard fit in the UK markets.

Craig.

Also im confused as to the Toyota security system the IQ has. Mine has a sticker on the windscreen saying security system.

On the Toyota website it says Alarm as standard. Yet in the options an alarm is shown and in the handbook it says alarm optional.

My new car brochure indicates a Thatcham 2 immobiser is standard, no alarm.

The dealer i chatted with back in April said you could option the alarm at car build, and it would be considered a Thatcham 1 system.

My new car brochure (from late 2011) indicates a Thatcham 2 immobiser is standard, no alarm.

The dealer i chatted with back in April said you could option the alarm at car build, and it would be considered a Thatcham 1 system.

I queried it as I wanted to have/fit an alarm due to where I have to park for work. Although I have noted that many used Iq's have alarm listed.....

Im not sure about my thoughts on car alarms. In days gone by, one could break a window,open a door. Break the steering lock,rip out a bunch of wires and start it and its gone. Modern car has modern security, yes you could break the glass on an iQ and the alarm doesnt sound. With dead locks on (double click on the fob or double touch on the lines on the handle within 2 sec) you are going to have to climb through a window, then your going to need a coded fob to start it. The code frequency hops so if you had the ability to grab the code, it would be no use to you as it would have changed on next use. Of course you could be just a smash and grab person but then there shouldnt be anything of value on display anyway. If someone did break your glass and an alarm did go off, you wont find anyone to tackle the culprit and probably you wouldnt either. The proffesional car thief would either approach you and force you to hand over the keys or knock at your door after watching your house for a while, or break in at night or when your out ( not in the car of course) and as a lot of people hang their keys up ( mainly men because they dont like buldging pockets). Women tend to keep their keys in their hand bags. So its probably better to go for a male owner when he is out because a women is likely to take her handbag with her with the keys in it when she goes out. Key racks are a bad move unless locked in a cabinet. Of course the thief could just pick the car up onto flat bed and sort the problem of access out later by reprograming the ECU and making new keys. A tracker is the best option as long as it doesnt rely on sat gps but rather a cellular solution as some workshops are below ground. So as i said the jury is out for me and car alarms, imobaliser a must!

David

Remote alarm is standard on all models.

Maybe the brochure has a printing error.

Is only a litle car, A hoodie at each corner, a quick lift and the car is gone :group-cuddles:

Rgds

How would i set it off to see if it actually has one?

How would i set it off to see if it actually has one?

Lock the doors (just one click, not two for deadlocks) whilst your window is wound down.

Wait for the little car with a padlock to start flashing as normal, then open the door with the handle inside the car, the alarm should then sound.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links