Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Replacement D4D

blitzchaser

Hi my 05 avensis d4d t-spirit clutch has slipped once in 5th so its time to change. It has 144 miles on it this will be its 1st new clutch. My local garage has recommended to change to a solid conversion kit. Any advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS...

Hi T, (always nice to have a 'name')

Approx 6mth's ago i had to have a new clutch fitted to my 04 D4D T Spirit.

I had been told that the local Taxi drivers using similar cars always have the 'solid type' fitted.

As we all know a taxi does have a huge amount of clutch work compared to the average car.

My mechanic who incidentally has fitted many 'solid type' conversions also convinced me it was the way to go.

No one i spoke to said to stay with the dual mass system.

With my clutch conversion i see no difference than the old dual mass system.

My advice is go for it.

Eugene.

Just following this thread with some interest as I also have a 2005 Avensis D4D which is still on its original clutch at 130,000 miles and surely the clutch cannot last much longer. Where would you get a solid flywheel for the Avensis?

My thought on the subject is that old diesel cars had the solid flywheel and they never had any problems. These dual mass flywheels seem to be an invention to bleed the motorists of every penny left after filling up his tank (:

Hi Kenny and ' T '

Sorry i should have added that i bought my clutch kit myself from my local Auto spares store. Not the Halford type outlet.

One just have to mention your wish to convert from the dreaded dual mass flywheel system to the conventional 'solid type' and they will know what kit you need once you give them your car reg. which they will use to get your cars full applicable details from.

I believe the same 'solid' kit is used in the Toyota 2.0 Ltr D4D Highace.

My full kit has a full 2 year warranty.

I do believe, and stand to be corrected, that Mr Toyota will only offer a 1 year warranty on their clutches no matter which system is fitted.

Make a saving of approx £70 plus discount off purchase price by getting someone with a trade account to get the kit for you. Even the local car wash operator could do this for you. Alternative is to just go in and ask for their best cash price for the kit you need and you will not come out empty handed.

As a guide, near a year ago Mr Toyota gave me a written quote of £640 ( kit only) for a 'solid' kit, which they endorsed. They quoted a labor charge of £420.

I paid £317 including VAT for my kit, ( trade price). Garage labor plus new gearbox oil was £200.

Hope this helps.

Eugene.

Hi guys getting the clutch done on friday mechanic is fitting a luk clutch kit 320 + vat 23% + labour. I 'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Hi guys just got avensis back its amazing with the new luk solid flywheel kit its a dream to drive very light on the foot towards the old dmf clutch which was gone very hard. They where nearly 30mm of play in the dmf when it was taking out. Gears are so smooth now they were slightly crunching with the dmf. 110% happy with it highly recommended.......

Hi, sorry but im a little late seeing this.... My advice is NOT to fit a solid flywheel in a car that is meant to have a dualer.

VW dual mass flywheels are notorious for failing and some guys replaced them with solids and they were fine for a while, then the crankshaft snapped.

My oppinion its better to ruin a flywheel than replace the gearbox or worse the engine

Hi well all the taxi drivers have them changed and my mechanic advised me to. I have heard a lot of stories about the vw dmf like those new vw caddy costing 1600 euro for new clutch with low miles

ye? ha thats the job....sure if its cheaper and reliable :)

• 3 years later...

Need some advice. I recently replaced my clutch on my 2005 Toyota Avensis.  All was well for a week then I started losing my clutch fluid and the mechanic said he had to bypass a compensator as he did not locate one for me.  Now the clutch has a funny grinding feeling when I press the clutch paddle with the engine reved up.

Clutch feels smooth with the engine idle or off. Any suggestions. I have a feeling the mechanic is taking me for a ride.   

Mine only got to 83k miles. (Wife driving it).replaced with a smf clutch and flywheel was great.start up was a nice wisp sound.nice and light pedal great to drive no crunch..then at 94k mines bad slipping heavy crunching in 3rd gear. (Just 3rd for some reason ).bought a luk dmf and clutch banged it in .its running good except for the 3rd gear still crunchy.but I know quite a few taxis (avensis) have the smf in with no problems at all.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree I'm a mechanic and my Avensis has 154,000 miles on the original clutch, it's getting a bit heavy and I think a bit of high taken up/ biting point so will change it but gonna fit DMF again, every clutch we've (as a garage) done has always had the original type of flywheel (be it SMF or DMF) fitted, except Ford Transits which we put SMF conversions on. I know it'll cost me slightly more money but I'm not getting rid of the car any time soon so want to be designed. They don't use DMF for nothing they have a purpose!!!