Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 4.3 Coolant Coming From Expansion Tank

stevedale5

I have 2008 2.2 D4D coolant is coming out of the overflow pipe on the expansion tank I have replaced the pressure cap I just hope its not the headgasket, any body had this problem before ?

Thanks for your ideas on this

hi matey

one of the below listed is yours, as follows:

- head gasket issue (can be checked basing on the coolant condition);

- el fan/sensor issue;

- issue with coolant tank lid gasket (pressure release from overflow tube)

the system must to work under pressure otherwise coolant boiling point heads to 100 C degrees under atmospheric pressure.

regards / Igor

I have 2008 2.2 D4D coolant is coming out of the overflow pipe on the expansion tank I have replaced the pressure cap I just hope its not the headgasket, any body had this problem before ?

Thanks for your ideas on this

Steve, see Charlie Farlie's guide to the 2AD engine and it's problems in the pinned section. Keep a very close eye on that expansion tank and your oil level. You could be due a replacement engine under the extended warranty. What mileage is your RAV?

I had the same problem,started last year about Sept while I was towing across France.When I returned home I put it into Toyota but they couldn't find any thing wrong,anyway it got a bit worse about March and put it back into Toyota were they found the head gasket had gone,so it was replaced.About 4 weeks later Toyota rang me to say my Rav had to go back in to have a new short block fitted.I don't know why or what had happened but the car is going fine at the moment.I shall be towing for the first time tomorrow with the new engine so will keep an eye on it.

Have a read here Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues. Best of luck.

Doosan

Thanks for your replies on the coolant loss from the expansion tank on my 2008 Rav4 D4D it has 61000 miles on the clock and has full Toyota service history I think it is tending to lean towards head gasket failure. I have replied to your question Anchorman and will keep everybody posted on my quest with the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links