Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Moves Production Of Yaris From Usa To Fr ?!

brianeno

They've been making them for European Markets in France for years...so not really news unless your American!

The Yaris has never been built in US factories--they have always been imported from Japan. So now they will be imported from France--not a big deal for the US as long as the quality is the same.

(Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) said it will transfer its Yaris compact car production for North America to France from Japan in May next year, marking the first time the company will export cars from Europe to that market.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/23/us-toyota-france-us-idUSBRE85M07B20120623

Haha, for a moment there I was thinking "Huh? They make Yarisususeses in the US?!"

But yeah, been made in France for ages now; I think only the diesel and sport ones were made in Japan since the Mk2?

My D4D still has the "Made in Japan" sticker on the windscreen :lol:

Given that the cost of shipping cars across the Atlantic must be about the same as pushing them across the Pacific this means it's now cheaper to make stuff in France than Japan.

Which may or may not be interesting or scary. It certainly doesn't feel right somehow ...

Interesting.

I would not doubt it, as the TMMF facility seems to be very capable. I did a bunch of research on visiting it, but couldn't talk my wife and kids into it when we were in France two summers ago.

• 2 weeks later...

read the stuff it is not clear to me can i have more stuff?

**SPAM REMOVED**

Given that the cost of shipping cars across the Atlantic must be about the same as pushing them across the Pacific this means it's now cheaper to make stuff in France than Japan.

Which may or may not be interesting or scary. It certainly doesn't feel right somehow ...

For all sorts of reasons people think the Tsunami is something from the past and all done and dusted, it isnt. I think it more to do with supply of componants AND a ready made factory that is not suffering from the lasting effects of the Tsunami, plus they can probably make a few extra Yen on each model due to the exchange rate and scale of economy

Kingo :thumbsup: