Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.3 Gearbox, Transfer Box And Diff Maintenance

Gods_gift

Has anyone got a guide to the maintenance schedules for the Gearbox, Transfer box and diff maintenance?

I'm after an oil change guide/general servicing guide and intervals that these are required.

Has anyone got a guide to the maintenance schedules for the Gearbox, Transfer box and diff maintenance?

I'm after an oil change guide/general servicing guide and intervals that these are required.

See attached PDF GG

These seem to have gone from pinned section........

4.3 RAV4 service data sheets.pdf

Oh sorry, I think you asked me about this before.

The transfer box and the rear diff is done every second service or intervals of 20k miles. There is no requirement to change the oil in the box, one of these sealed for life jobbies. However, I will do mine about every 4th year. Use only the proper 75 grade oil and sit down before paying for it.

I always take off the undershield to do the transmission oil.

Take the plug out of the transfer box and let it drain (green circle). Don't bother with the level plug, there is a filler plug high up (blue arrow) which is easier to get at;

drainandfill.jpg

0.45 litres of GL5 80W/90

You might find one of these useful;

http://www.toolbox.c...se-15887-110762

OK, if you do choose to change the gearbox oil you need to remove the drain plug;

IMG_0206-1.jpg

Then the filler plug;

IMG_0209-1.jpg

But don't try to fill it through the front unless you have the above pump as you can't tip normal oil bottles up. Instead, take off the small access panel under the wing (2 clips) and fill from under there. It only takes 2.1 litres;

IMG_0213-1.jpg

OK now round the back of the vehicle and take out the drain plug (green circle - passenger side). Because of the internal clutch this will come out filthy;

Drainplug-1.jpg

Now round to the drivers side and take out the level plug (blue circle). Fill with 0.55 litres of GL5 80W/90 and you will see why one of those pumps is a good investment - it is very awkward with an oil bottle!;

filler-1.jpg

PLEASE NOTE:- 2009 on models should use SX API GL5 85W/90 for the transfer box and diff' according to the data sheets. The only place I've managed to find this is from Toyota themselves.

• Thanks 1

I've put the SDS's back in the pinned section.

• 9 months later...

Great guide Sir.
One thing I might add which I once found out to my cost is to always loosen the FILLER plug FIRST before draining the oil,just in case its siezed and you round off the bolt,very easy to do on Allen key bolts...especially ones that are old and havnt been removed from new.

post-70734-0-65223600-1366214449.jpg

One of these makes "uphill" filling of gearboxes, diffs, etc. a doddle. They're normally around 500ml capacity. Just suck the oil out of the can, and inject into the filler aperture. Metal and plastic versions available on Amazon, for around a tenner.

Chris

I've got one of those Chris but always seem to get covered in oil using it. I found the sealy fluid pump "cleaner".

Put cap back on then before turning upside doon......

• 1 year later...

The transfer box and the rear diff is done every second service or intervals of 20k miles. There is no requirement to change the oil in the box, one of these sealed for life jobbies. However, I will do mine about every 4th year. Use only the proper 75 grade oil and sit down before paying for it.

Take the plug out of the transfer box and let it drain (green circle). Don't bother with the level plug, there is a filler plug high up (blue arrow) which is easier to get at;

drainandfill.jpg

OK, if you do choose to change the gearbox oil you need to remove the drain plug;

IMG_0206-1.jpg

Then the filler plug;

IMG_0209-1.jpg

But don't try to fill it through the front unless you have the above pump as you can't tip normal oil bottles up. Instead, take off the small access panel under the wing (2 clips) and fill from under there. It only takes 2.1 litres;

IMG_0213-1.jpg

OK now round the back of the vehicle and take out the drain plug (green circle - passenger side). Because of the internal clutch this will come out filthy;

Drainplug-1.jpg

Now round to the drivers side and take out the level plug (blue circle). Fill with 0.55 litres of GL5 80W/90 and you will see why one of those pumps is a good investment - it is very awkward with an oil bottle!;

filler-1.jpg

PLEASE NOTE:- 2009 on models should use SX API GL5 85W/90 for the transfer box and diff' according to the data sheets. The only place I've managed to find this is from Toyota themselves.

hi mate do you have the oil recommendations for the 2010 2.2d 4wd 2010 model, i wanna do a full transmission oil service including diffs, i just can't seem to find out exactly what oil goes where

drainandfill.jpg

IMG_0206-1.jpg

Then the filler plug;

IMG_0209-1.jpg

IMG_0213-1.jpg

Drainplug-1.jpg

filler-1.jpg

hi mate do you have the oil recommendations for the 2010 2.2d 4wd 2010 model, i wanna do a full transmission oil service including diffs, i just can't seem to find out exactly what oil goes where

Transmission 2.5lt API GL-4 SAE75

Transfer box .45lt API GL-5 SAE 85W-90

Rear diff .55lt Hypoid gear oil SX API GL-5 SAE 85W-90

• Like 1

drainandfill.jpg

IMG_0206-1.jpg

Then the filler plug;

IMG_0209-1.jpg

IMG_0213-1.jpg

Drainplug-1.jpg

filler-1.jpg

Transmission 2.5lt API GL-4 SAE75

Transfer box .45lt API GL-5 SAE 85W-90

Rear diff .55lt Hypoid gear oil SX API GL-5 SAE 85W-90

my manual says SAE90 for the diff and transfer box so i was wondering if this would do?? http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-972-fuchs-titan-gear-hyp-90-hypoid-gear-oil-gl5-80w-90.aspx

As oil manufacturers reduce their gear oil range and introduce universal multigrades - it's getting harder to find grades such as 85w90 and straight 90w. The oil you highlight will be fine. If you go to the Castrol website and input your registration number - you'll get all the recommended lubricants for your car from the Castrol range. As mentioned previously - for the 4.3 Rav - ignore any recommendation for gearbox oil other than 75W.

As oil manufacturers reduce their gear oil range and introduce universal multigrades - it's getting harder to find grades such as 85w90 and straight 90w. The oil you highlight will be fine. If you go to the Castrol website and input your registration number - you'll get all the recommended lubricants for your car from the Castrol range. As mentioned previously - for the 4.3 Rav - ignore any recommendation for gearbox oil other than 75W.

cheers buddy and sorry for being so anal about it all but i don't want to destroy my car lol so I'm gonna put toyota own brand 75w90 gl4/5 in the gearbox and the above fuchs 80w90 gl5 hypoid oil in the rear diff and in the transfer box, would you agree with that?

Nope - use 75W gear oil in the gearbox - if you use a multigrade such as 75w90 you'll suffer difficult gear changes.

Nope - use 75W gear oil in the gearbox - if you use a multigrade such as 75w90 you'll suffer difficult gear changes.

I'm totally lost now because i bought 4 litres of this for the gearbox http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/p/2414/gearbox-oil.html?gclid=CL-vqraQqsECFfLJtAod5yAAWA

You've got two threads running on the same topic which may be adding to the confusion. Just to confirm what's been said.

- Gearbox holds 2.1 litres and on this particular model should be filled with SAE 75W gear oil. Using other grades such as 75W90 will lead to difficult gear changes. Can't see anywhere in the posts where 75W90 has been suggested. In your other post you asked if this Fuchs oil was the correct gearbox oil and this was confirmed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV-4-2-2-D4-D-F-D-CAT-09-FUCHS-MANUAL-GEAR-BOX-OIL-TITAN-1-LITRE-/151381824020?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

- Transfer box and diff each hold about 0.5 litre and if you can't get the 85W90 recommended oil - then 80W90 as you propose is fine.

Just to explain a bit more

- The grade numbers refer to the viscocity of the oil - higher the number the more viscous (thicker) the oil - a 90 oil, for example, is thicker than a 75 oil. The numbers are quoted for cold oil - viscosity reduces as the oil heats up

- A 75W oil simply has a viscocity of 75 and always behaves as a 75 oil - it's known as a monograde oil.

- Oils with 2 sets of numbers are known as multigrades. An 80W90 oil for example additives so that it behaves like an 80 oil when cold and a 90 oil when hot.

Whilst most gearboxes are designed to use multigrade oils - the Rav4.3 is designed for a monograde oil. Experience has shown that using a multigrade oil in this gearbox leads to difficulty in gear selection.

You've got two threads running on the same topic which may be adding to the confusion. Just to confirm what's been said.

- Gearbox holds 2.1 litres and on this particular model should be filled with SAE 75W gear oil. Using other grades such as 75W90 will lead to difficult gear changes. Can't see anywhere in the posts where 75W90 has been suggested

- Transfer box and diff each hold about 0.5 litre and if you can't get the 85W90 recommended oil - then 80W90 as you propose is fine.

thats brilliant,i will send back the 75w90 and order some SAE75w...... can you recommend a particular SAE75w oil that would work?

there are a few different types on the market but i would really appreciate your input. many thanks once again

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new to RAV4 ownership. This guide for the underside fluid servicing has been invaluable. The only downside, is that it took me probably as long to faff about refitting the undertray afterwards! Why they use the crap plastics on the underside where they go brittle and break escapes me.

thanks to all on the posts. It has really been helpful.

happy new year 

• 3 years later...

Hi. Having recently purchased my first Toyota, a 2010 Rav4 2.2D4D 2WD a month ago, I have learned more about the car in that time from this site than I've known about any other car I've owned. In relation to the cars 6 speed manual gearbox I've established that the correct gearbox oil is API GL-4 SAE 75W. The owners manual appears to suggest that the gearbox oil should be checked every 40k miles and only needs changed if the vehicle is driven under one of the "Special Operating Conditions" listed in the Service or Warranty booklets. I've searched these booklets and cannot find these. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has found these and what they are. That said, most advice here seems to point to changing the gearbox oil say every 4 years or 40k miles. Would this be advisable? The gearchange would be a little clunky from 1st to 2nd especially when cold and hopefully this would improve with a gearbox oil change. Any photos of the drain and fill points on a 2wd gearbox (if different from above) would be helpful. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi all, coukd someone please tell me what sizes  the drain plugs are on the gearbox for the ala30 d4d with 6 speed manual

Thanks