Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.3 Retrofit Cruise - Quick Question

Dabooka

Hi everyone, first post so go gentle if I break any board convention etc.

I've just taken collection of our '56 plate RAV4 :D and, knowing it was a lowly XT3 spec, appreciated it would lack certain refinements such as cruise control, sat nav, 180bhp....

Anyhoo, no satnav or 180bhp I can tolerate (for now at least!) but I'd love to try and get cruise control sorted. I've previously read the threads on Retro-fitting the kbank kit from Fleabay, but wondered if there was any reason for me not to get the kit; i.e. the '56 XT3 definately doesn't have the software etc.

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope I get positive news. If not, the stereo will be getting attention sooner than expected!

Dabooka

Hi I have a 56 plate XT4 and retro fitted the Toyota cruise control stick and it worked. You can buy them for £25 off eBay. The thread below describes what to do....

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134401&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

If this doesnt work could be because your missing a clutch switch so follow this thread for that info:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136190&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

worth a try an much neater that aftermarket stuff.

Cheers Gods_gift, I'll get that ordered.

Got to oem stock for this kind of thing!

I would first check the if the connector is available at all under the airbag. If it's the lowest trim level it does not have the wiring nor the connector at all. That's at least how they are in Finland. Of course there could be some country specific stuff.

I would really check that first before ordering anything.

I would first check the if the connector is available at all under the airbag. If it's the lowest trim level it does not have the wiring nor the connector at all. That's at least how they are in Finland. Of course there could be some country specific stuff.

I would really check that first before ordering anything.

Ah, that was just the kind of thing I was after; it is the poverty spec, so definately worth checking.

Cheers,

Dabooka

• 3 weeks later...

Well seeing as it's not ubiking it down for once, I thought I'd pop the steering wheel cover off and check the connector is present on my Pov Spec before ordering the cruise control. Failed at first hurdle. :censor:

I've got the (correct?) Torx 30 bit and the first bolt comes straight out no problem. The second must have been tightened by Garth himself, as it sim ply won't budge. When I got some small shavings of metal attached to the bit, I thought discretion should be the better part and gave up (after re-tightening the other one obviously!).

So I'm at a loss now, looks like it'll be a non-starter for the ONE mod I'm keen on actually doing. :(

Don't hit it hard but as the bits are tapered, you might have some success with an impact wrench.

Don't hit it hard but as the bits are tapered, you might have some success with an impact wrench.

Funnily enough, my pal suggested a slight tap with an 'ammer first :D

However, while investiagting a strange subtle knock when tirning at slow speeds, I discovered the thread on the intermediate steering shaft. Consequently, the missus will pop into the dealer on the way home one day this week and see about that; I'm assuming Mr T would have to remove the gubbins to do the work (should it happen) so I'll hold off for them to do the damage!

Nope. The steering wheel stays put while the shaft is changed at the bottom.

Back to the drawing board!

Bah! Thanks for the heads up Don, a few delicate taps with a toffee hammer it is then.

Try tightening before undoing sounds bonkers but has worked for me in the past. Mine were tight but did come out without too much hassle.

• 1 month later...