Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Does That Ect Pwr Button Actually Do...

Harichs Gaahl Kriegdeblitz

Seriously... What does that button even do. I press it, I floor it and it makes NO difference whatsoever. Well, none that's really noticeable.

I have a '95 2.0GLi estate and it's pretty !Removed!-tacular.

But yeah, I've had it for quite a while now and I really can't notice anything whatsoever when the button is pressed.

So if anyone could please enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it. Since it's been bugging me ever since I had the damn car.

46 views and no one can say anything?! Come on guiyses! Help a bro out, it's driving me mental.

No idea mate!

Had a quick search; Some say it acts like a 'sport' mode similar to some autos gearboxes and holds onto gears for higher revs before shifting. Others say it changes the variable valve timing in some undocumented way, also for more power.

Is it even connected to anything?! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sirs

According to my owners manual the ect pwr button is to be used for powerful accelaration, whereby the transmission is shifted up and down at a higher vehicle speed than when in the' normal' switch position..It is to be used when the overdrive switch is on. It is not to be confused with the 'kickdown' accelaration which can be used without the overdrive switch being on.

Hope this helps.

Philbee

• 1 month later...

It is to be used when the overdrive switch is on. It is not to be confused with the 'kickdown' accelaration which can be used without the overdrive switch being on.

Hope this helps.

Philbee

So, it's completely and utterly made void by the fact that there's a kick-down switch... LOL.

Dear Haris

From what I understand, the ect button and the 'kick down ' option are two separate items.As I stated earlier the kick down facility can be used at anytime where short bursts of accelaration are required. The ect facility can only be used when the overdrive is being used and is there to provide a higher constant speed for when increased accelaration is required, the downside obviously is that this facility uses higher revs and therefore more fuel. I hope that this has made it clearer.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am working on a Toyota Carina - AT192 1996 model.- it had a 5afe engine with ECT gearbox. The owner had the engine swapped with a 20v silvertop and Auto ECU. The gears are not changing. Any help on electrical connections from gearbox to engine harness will be very helpful. PLs pls pls help. rgds,arvind.